Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post subject: Windows 10 People App
 Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:41 pm 
welcoming committee

Microsoft came up with the brilliant idea of having a People app to contain our contacts separately from the Mail app in Windows beyond 7 (8, 8.1 & 10). This is okay for the most part as I have learned to navigate my way around. What I do take issue with is I haven't found a way to create a group yet. I send weekly emails to a specific set or group of people. Has this feature been eliminated? Is so will MS bring it back? If it hasn't can someone explain how to do it in Windows 10 please. Thank you.

I used to use Windows Live Mail from Windows Essentials. That worked great it allowed you the user much more flexibility. That was a great program and I hear that support will stop soon. I just received another notification to start using the Mail app in Win 10 so I did.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

Groups or mailing lists are not available in Mail or the People App in Windows 10. If you use an Outlook.com (@live, @outlook, @hotmail, @msn) you can still create, manage and use groups on Outlook.com.
No word on when/if groups will make it to the Mail/People apps.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:25 am 
welcoming committee

Thank you Steve. I was afraid you were going to say that. What a shame. Microsoft had a great all in one mail service for the end user but have opted to discontinue it for a less than mail application. Sorry Steve but I'm disappointed.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

Ritzter13 wrote:
Thank you Steve. I was afraid you were going to say that. What a shame. Microsoft had a great all in one mail service for the end user but have opted to discontinue it for a less than mail application. Sorry Steve but I'm disappointed.

Understand the disappointment -- you are surely not alone. Hopefully this feature will be added to the Mail app sooner rather than later.
-steve

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Terry, my understanding is that you can still use Live Mail but your @live, @outlook, @hotmail, @msn accounts must be changed from Delta Sync to IMAP. Your contacts and calendar will no longer sync but the mail portion should work fine. Here is a link to my information.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... dcb1ab69bc

According to the above link the deadline was today, 6/1/16 yet I am still having no issue with Live Mail, still working fine... (fingers crossed) Of course if it stops working I'll just switch to Outlook as my mail client but that only works for you if you have Office installed with Outlook.

Quite a while back, guessing a couple of months, I seem to remember an email or discussion dealing with this issue on these forums. It was an opt in choice to maintain the usability of Live Mail. I know that I did the opt in and all is still fine with me and Live Mail. The opt in involved the install of an update to Live Mail.

I just checked and my @Hotmail account is using Delta Sync without apparent issue.

If you did not do the opt in you should probably still be able to use Live Mail if you set up your Microsoft email accounts as IMAP.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:59 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I just did a test by setting up a calendar through the web interface and it synced just fine to my local install of Live Mail 2012.

I am sad to say that the required update to Live Mail that is needed, KB 3093594, seems to no longer be available. Still setting the email accounts to IMAP SHOULD still keep the mail portion working.

IMAP is simply one of several ways to send/receive emails. Detailed instructions on how to switch can be supplied.

What is IMAP?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_ ... s_Protocol

What is Delta Sync?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeltaSync

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:56 am 

I'm still using Live Mail as well, used it this morning, like Jay I did the update when it came out. What I have noticed though is that as well as my other email addresses I have a Hotmail one plus an Outlook one. As they are tied into my Microsoft account I'll only get mail arrive into one of them, at present that is the Outlook one.
When I first noticed this I'd gone in and set up another account for the missing one.

This would work for awhile and I'd get mail into both accounts, then only bring in the mail to the one I'd just set up, be that Hotmail or Outlook. If I went back and set up the missing mails account again like before it would work for a short time.

At present I'm getting the mail into my Outlook account but not the Hotmail one. If I use my Outlook email program of course I'll get both but I don't like the way I have to have my RSS Feeds listed in it.

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email