Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post subject: Windows 10 Mail App
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:02 am 
welcoming committee

I'm not sure if this is the right category for this question. Feel free to move it to Windows 10 if necessary.

Now for the problem. My Windows 10 mail app has stopped syncing to the accounts added to it, 2 Live accounts - 1 Comcast account - 1 Gmail account. I was going to remove and add them again but I also have lost the ability to access settings for all of the accounts. When I go to System>Apps & features>Mail and Calendar and click on it, there is no Advanced Options shown and the Move and Uninstall buttons are grayed out. My Mail App is dead in the water. My calendars still work and sync...I think. Is there an ongoing issue? My Mail App version: 17.7167.40721.0

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 Mail App
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:50 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I don't use the app Terry but possibly a system restore may help.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:08 pm 
Fearless Leader

Terry, in the left pane you will see your list of accounts. Right-click the account to get to account settings. See if those help you, and post here if not and we can try to troubleshoot further.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:19 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Terry, in the left pane you will see your list of accounts. Right-click the account to get to account settings. See if those help you, and post here if not and we can try to troubleshoot further.

I tried that Patty but when I select Account Settings nothing happens. It's the same for when I select the gear at the bottom right side of the left hand column. The settings column comes up. I select Manage Accounts which then shows all my attached email accounts. When I select any one of them the edit settings window doesn't appear. The picture is of my Settings>System>Apps & Features.

Attachments:
Mail-Calendar App.PNG
Mail-Calendar App.PNG [ 50.9 KiB | Viewed 23482 times ]

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:14 pm 
Fearless Leader

Something is definitely hosed. I do know that Microsoft is migrating its various Hotmail accounts (MSN, Hotmail, Live and Outlook) to Exchange. These are not supported in the Mail app. I have an msn.com account and an outlook.com account. The outlook.com account has been migrated, and no longer works with the Mail app; whereas the msn.com account has not yet been migrated and it still works with the Mail app - though I don't use it for either.

I don't see a way to uninstall it. You could try finding it in the store (it is there, just search for Mail), and see if it lets you reinstall it if you already have it installed.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:58 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Something is definitely hosed. I do know that Microsoft is migrating its various Hotmail accounts (MSN, Hotmail, Live and Outlook) to Exchange.

I don't see a way to uninstall it. You could try finding it in the store (it is there, just search for Mail), and see if it lets you reinstall it if you already have it installed.

What do you mean "migrating to exchange"? Isn't there a new Outlook App too?

I ran Scannow and DISM in a command window. Here are the results. It found corrupt files but was unable to fix them.

Attachments:
CmdWindow-Scan.PNG
CmdWindow-Scan.PNG [ 28.02 KiB | Viewed 23473 times ]

_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

MacDuffie wrote:
Something is definitely hosed. I do know that Microsoft is migrating its various Hotmail accounts (MSN, Hotmail, Live and Outlook) to Exchange. These are not supported in the Mail app. I have an msn.com account and an outlook.com account. The outlook.com account has been migrated, and no longer works with the Mail app; whereas the msn.com account has not yet been migrated and it still works with the Mail app - though I don't use it for either.

Hotmail/MSN/Outlook.com should continue to work in the Windows 10 Mail app after it is migrated. If it isn't remove and re-add the account. It will cease working in Windows Live Mail -- all versions -- as ActiveSync will no longer be supported by the back end when they move the accounts to the Exchange platform.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Terry:

Is the account that isn't working the same account you sign into Windows with -- your Microsoft account?

In the Outlook Mail App, do you see the following when right clicking on the account and selecting Account Settings, or did you say nothing happens?

Attachments:
mail.JPG
mail.JPG [ 55.12 KiB | Viewed 23469 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:44 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve I can't open the second window that's titled Outlook account settings. That pop-up window doesn't appear for any of my four attached email accounts, two of which are Live accounts, 1 Comcast pop mail and a Gmail account. Something is corrupt and preventing the settings window from opening.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:09 pm 

Terry, do nothing of the following until we see what Patty and/or Steve have to say.

1) If you have Office installed you could switch to Outlook.

2) Live Mail WILL work with the migration that MS is doing but needs a manual update. The question here is if you can still find the manual update as it seems to have been removed from the MS site. Through the MS site the update was an 'opt in' option to keep using Live Mail after the migration.

3) If it turns out that you DO need to uninstall the current mail app you MAY find that you need to totally disconnect from the internet to do so. Disconnecting from the internet MAY stop a process that the mail app has active allowing the removal. Then you would re-connect to the net and re-install the app. This is speculation and I can prove nothing. More or less just throwing out thoughts to Patty and Steve.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:43 pm 
Fearless Leader

Steve, it will not allow my outlook.com address. When I choose to "Fix the account" it tells me it is upgrading account settings, then says, "Let's get you signed in." Above text box where you enter your email address it says "Work or school account." Below that it says, "Which account should I use? Sign in with the username and password you use with Office 365 or other business services from Microsoft." Then, when I enter the outlook.com email address and click in password, a red error message pops up, "Are you sure that's the right email address? This organization doesn't support joining Azure AD."

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:48 pm 
Fearless Leader

Every avenue I see to reset the app or accounts is blocked, and I don't see how to get around them. System File Checker is worthless. Did you try seeing if you could download it again from the Store?

Otherwise, I would tend to want to just move to Outlook. Personally, I love the webmail interface for the Hotmail type accounts - but Comcast's is the pits, and so is Gmail's.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:20 am 

I would still try a system restore point. Probably won't help but would not hurt...

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:50 am 
Fearless Leader

I agree! Should have said that earlier.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:54 am 

MacDuffie wrote:
I agree! Should have said that earlier.

LOL! It was only my first response to this thread... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:09 am 
Site Admin

MacDuffie wrote:
Steve, it will not allow my outlook.com address. When I choose to "Fix the account" it tells me it is upgrading account settings, then says, "Let's get you signed in." Above text box where you enter your email address it says "Work or school account." Below that it says, "Which account should I use? Sign in with the username and password you use with Office 365 or other business services from Microsoft." Then, when I enter the outlook.com email address and click in password, a red error message pops up, "Are you sure that's the right email address? This organization doesn't support joining Azure AD."

My account hasn't yet been upgraded, but I had not read that the Windows 10 Mail App was impacted. I think that the issue involves that "Work or school account" dialog, though I have to admit ignorance in how to get past that.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:11 am 
Site Admin

Ritzter13 wrote:
Steve I can't open the second window that's titled Outlook account settings. That pop-up window doesn't appear for any of my four attached email accounts, two of which are Live accounts, 1 Comcast pop mail and a Gmail account. Something is corrupt and preventing the settings window from opening.

Is the affected account your Windows login account or do you log in with a local account?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:38 am 
welcoming committee

Terry
Would this be any help to you
http://pureinfotech.com/reset-mail-app- ... nc-issues/

More here
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wi ... ot+working

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:11 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks CB for the links. Removing the Mail App may be the only resolution to this problem.

MacDuffie wrote:
Every avenue I see to reset the app or accounts is blocked, and I don't see how to get around them. System File Checker is worthless. :rofl2: Did you try seeing if you could download it again from the Store?

In the store I'm shown that the App is already installed.

Otherwise, I would tend to want to just move to Outlook. Personally, I love the webmail interface for the Hotmail type accounts - but Comcast's is the pits, and so is Gmail's.

I've grown very attached to the idea of having all my emails come into a central holding area. That's what made WLM so attractive and efficient. I think MS over thinks things and while eliminating useful programs.

jaylach wrote:
I would still try a system restore point. Probably won't help but would not hurt...

I've made some program updates recently and really am trying to avoid reinstalling them. I'd rather reinstall the Mail App if necessary.

sboots wrote:
Is the affected account your Windows login account or do you log in with a local account?

I use a Windows account login.

I've discovered some other additional issues. My People App won't launch when clicked on. The window opens briefly then disappears/closes. My calendar won't update to my devices or Web Outlook probably because the syncing mechanism is broken. Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

Attachments:
no email accounts copy.png
no email accounts copy.png [ 145.96 KiB | Viewed 23416 times ]

_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:50 pm 
Fearless Leader

Have you scanned your machine for malware? I would do an antivirus scan, as well as a Malwarebytes scan.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:54 pm 
Fearless Leader

chasbox wrote:

Great links, Chas. I was looking for a way to uninstall the app. That's the answer, I'm sure of it.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:15 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Have you scanned your machine for malware? I would do an antivirus scan, as well as a Malwarebytes scan.

I have just completed a battery of scans and they all give a clean bill of health. I think the only resolution is to remove and reinstall the mail app. I hope this process also fixes the People app too. That is the other issue I discovered, that the People app won't stay open. It launches and then closes.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:11 pm 
Fearless Leader

I believe it is all one app.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

Calendar/Mail is one and the same and People is linked deeply.

You mentioned you use a Windows login -- does that mean a local login or a Microsoft Account (your hotmail/outlook/msn or other email address)?

Did you by chance tinker with permissions on your system drive -- that is, for example, share the entire drive and tell Windows to reset the permissions to shared? I can tell you that any modifications of permissions on the your overall User folder breaks things so badly that the *only* recourse is to do a full reset as even a refresh and System Restore cannot fix it. The symptoms are that apps start acting strange -- not opening, not synchronizing, opening to the splash screen and no further... Hopefully you'll tell us that you didn't do anything with permissions.

-steve

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:59 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Calendar/Mail is one and the same and People is linked deeply.

... Hopefully you'll tell us that you didn't do anything with permissions.
-steve

Rest assured that I didn't change anything on the System drive.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email