Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:33 pm 
Fearless Leader

Thanks, Pete. I didn't realize that the browser had to change it back to plain text! That is indeed useless then. :(

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:28 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Ahhh, the browser does not exactly change the encryption back to plain text. If I read things right KeyScrambler installs a driver at the kernel level that captures the keystrokes, this does the encryption. It then also includes an un-encryption driver at the app end. The app is not directly involved in the process.

I will totally agree with Pete that an infection that can actually access the browser memory ( I assume that this means the active browser in RAM ) makes the protection of no value but what about the actual key loggers that this product is intended to hamper?

We, I think, are again going beyond what this package is advertised to do. This package is not designed or advertised to do anything concerning an infection that can access browser memory. It is advertised to hamper a key logger. An infection that can access browser memory is not a key logger so I cannot see how a lack of such protection can be held against this package.

Mayhaps I'm missing something but I still think that KeyScrambler may be a decent tool against a key logger. At least at this point I intend to keep it on my system. Would you expect a media player to be able to send an email? ;)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:22 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, from all the testing I've done, which is not only to see if malware is blocked but also letting the malware run and watching it's actions, I'll just say, that if a keylogger gets on your system you are owned. Only viable solution is either restore a good image or a clean install

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:52 am 
welcoming committee

Whew, this KeyLogger stuff is now going over-my-head. (Of course GG would say EVERYTHING is over his head :mad4: ).
Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:39 am 
welcoming committee

HI Acadia

Unfortunately the sophistication of malware today has progress way beyond what it was 3 years ago. Sad, but to really protect yourself, you have to stay aware.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:31 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
... you have to stay aware.

Eventually you have to become centered in real life: no one will ever have PERFECT protection with the speed that malware is progressing. It is a crap shoot, you have to trust your own judgement, just like Life in general, or else why enter the Internet all all, or snail mail, or the even the on-land telephone, yes, they call all be hacked but what are the odds. If you have really good protection on your system, and I am saying that most folks don't, but assuming that you do, then the odds of getting your funds stolen is like being stricken by lightening, bit by a shark, or heaven forbid winning a major lottery! YOU HAVE TO START TRUSTING YOURSELF.

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:39 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Peter2150 wrote:
... you have to stay aware.

Eventually you have to become centered in real life: no one will ever have PERFECT protection with the speed that malware is progressing. It is a crap shoot, you have to trust your own judgement just like Life in general, or else why enter the Internet all all, or snail mail, or the telephone. YOU HAVE TO START TRUSTING YOURSELF (assuming that one understands everything which evidently I do not)

Trying to understand all of this,
Acadia

I disagree. It's like driving in New York City as opposed to East Texas. One requires being a lot more alert.

Unfortunately what was adequate 3 years ago doesn't cut it today. If being centered means not wanting to have to keep up, then that has it's price

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:54 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, Peter, you win. I realized that I had not stated it properly, tried to restate things and I apologize for not getting it posted in time. BUT I stand by my most recent revision of that post which you did not see and again, I apologize.

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:56 pm 
Fearless Leader

You two aren't that far apart - but you are using different nomenclature. I can agree with you both without any intellectual conflict at all. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:11 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Acadia

Yes I do trust myself. But it is because I constantly upgrade my education and my tools. I totally recognize I go farther then most, but it's because I have the need. Frankly the single best and also best in terms of beginner friendly is VoodooShield. Still haven't gotten anything by it.

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email