Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post subject: Interesting article ...
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:21 pm 
welcoming committee

... in my opinion anyway. Recent article about browsers. Please understand this is one person's opinion, the author's. I have no opinion just found it interesting, the author liked them all but ...

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... i-vs-edge/

Some quotes to tantalize you:

The best browser: Google Chrome
… a robust feature set … it’s as fully featured or as pared down as you want it to be. Everything is right where it should be … If you’re not sure which browser you should be using, you should be using Chrome.

The best of the rest: Mozilla Firefox
… Firefox is still a quick and reliable browser, but it hasn’t aged gracefully … Chrome has a leg up because of its superior mobile integration, but Firefox is tried and true, and still receives regular updates …

An attractive alternative to Chrome: Opera
… built on Google’s Chromium engine, and as a result, they have a very similar user experience … Opera has a unique look and feel, and combines some of the best features of Firefox and Chrome …

The default choice that still struggles: Edge
… its pared-down interface can feel a little too bare-bones at times … If you’re looking for something a bit more experimental than Chrome or Firefox, just fire up Edge and see what it can do, you might be surprised …

An up-and-comer that needs to grow: Vivaldi
… want to try a browser that takes a different approach to web browsing, check out Vivaldi … It’s also meant for power users, so a lot of people might feel confused or let down by the browser. Vivaldi is unapologetic about this …

Benchmark tests
… most browsers come in pretty close to each other. The browsers that are lagging most appear to be Safari 10, which did poorly across the board, and Internet Explorer 11, which no longer receives updates. Firefox is also starting to slip behind, but not nearly to the degree of the bottom two …

Security and privacy
no quotes from the article, read for yourselves if interested

Enjoy, Acadia

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:59 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
... which did poorly across the board, and Internet Explorer 11, which no longer receives updates...

I know you mean well and you've just picked up on a media article, which is interesting... but when the author publishes nonsense like that it drives me mad!

IE11 gets security updates most every month and will continue to do so until Windows 7 (or later versions) reaches end of life.
cf. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows ... ie-support

It's akin to the nonsense that's everywhere on forums etc that Silverlight is no longer supported on Windows 7, when in fact it is.

IE11 & Silverlight may no longer be getting developed but they're very much updated with security fixes as and when they're required, and will continue to do so until the OS hosting the software reaches end of life.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:50 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
First off Acadia, thanks for the link. I also found it interesting. :)

The following is just to, hopefully, clarify what is actually going on with IE11 updates and to give a possibility as to why the inaccuracy in the article may had occurred...

Since Silverlight was mentioned I figure that it will keep getting security as long as Netflix and other major sites keeps using. At least it should keep getting updates until the end of life of Windows 8.1 if not the end of life for Windows 10.

As to IE11 and security updates here is a quote that I found:
"On Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, only Internet Explorer 11 will receive security updates for the remainder of those Windows versions' support lifecycles."
To me the question would be what is considered the lifecycle of Windows 10 under the current system.

Under the current situation where it is stated that Windows 10 will be valid for the life of the system the question can be raised as to what that means. Windows 10 actually does show an end of life date of October 14, 2025.

So how does this affect IE11? OK... currently we can look for 'major' upgrades to Windows 10 twice a year. Say that the upgrade for Windows 10 scheduled for this fall removes IE11. This would remove the factor that IE11 must receive updates as long as Windows 10 is active as IE11 would no longer be a part of Windows 10.

Currently Microsoft's end of life chart does not show a date for IE11 having an end of life date. Since there is no end of life date this implies that it is still current and they would still supply updates. This does not mean that updates would include any further functionality; only that security updates must be continued.

The following quote from Microsoft MAY explain the IE11 update flaw in the article. Note that this quote states "older versions of IE.". It does not name IE11. This would tend to apply to IE10 and earlier.
Microsoft wrote:
It means you should take action. After January 12, 2016, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for older versions of Internet Explorer. Security updates patch vulnerabilities that may be exploited by malware, helping to keep users and their data safer. Regular security updates help protect computers from malicious attacks, so upgrading and staying current is important.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Point of clarification -- Internet Explorer will continue to get Security patches, but it will not be "update" from a program functionality/performance/rendering/features perspective. It is no longer in active development. It is only maintained -- that is, to patch security flaws discovered, no bug fixes.

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:32 pm 
welcoming committee

@Jay

Your quote is missing the prior paragraphs...

Quote:
What is end of support?

Starting from 12 January 2016, only the most current version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical supports and security updates. Internet Explorer 11 is the last version of Internet Explorer, and will continue to receive security updates, compatibility fixes and technical support on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

Internet Explorer 11 offers improved security, increased performance, better backward compatibility and support for the web standards that power today’s websites and services. Microsoft encourages customers to upgrade and stay up-to-date on the latest browser for a faster, more secure browsing experience.
Source: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows ... ie-support

When read in your context it reads like the end of the world is about to happen if you use IE11, when read in the true context, perhaps not so bad ;) lol

Edit: read the faq section further down the page in my link where you'll find info like...
Quote:
How long will the most current version of Internet Explorer remain supported?

Internet Explorer is a component of the Windows operating system and the most current version will continue to follow the specific support lifecycle policy for the operating system on which it is installed. Internet Explorer 11 will be supported for the life of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10. To find the support lifecycle dates for all operating systems, search the Support Lifecycle Database here.

Last edited by Doddie on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:54 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Since Silverlight was mentioned I figure that it will keep getting security as long as Netflix and other major sites keeps using. At least it should keep getting updates until the end of life of Windows 8.1 if not the end of life for Windows 10.

2021 is the best guess right now...

Quote:
Support for releases known as Tools ends no less than 12 months following the notification date. Silverlight 5 will support the browser versions listed on this page through 10/12/2021, or though the support lifecycle of the underlying browsers, whichever is shorter. As browsers evolve, the support page will be updated to reflect levels of compatibility with newer browser versions.
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lif ... h?c2=12905

cf. the embedded link in the quote above:
https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverligh ... n-SL5.html

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email