Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Good evening everyone. I have a problem unlike any I've seen.

Yesterday, I replaced my Comcast modem/router because of an issue that concerns the inabillity to send data to another PC. When I got the new modem I contacted Comcast and activated the new modem. At that point everything seemed to work just fine.

Today, I noticed that I could not reach certain websites while on the Internet. I was able to access my browser (chrome) and accessed approximately half of my favorites. Fortunately, one of these is computer Haven.The problem seems to be that the connection times out or I get an error message saying this site cannot be reached.

I contacted Comcast and tried to get help for the issue. After much time, resetting the modem, resetting chrome, and changing various settings the situation was no better.Comcast suggested the issue could be the hurricane

in Florida.

I am using a Dell XPS 8700 desktop with Windows 10. Except for this issue the PC works fine. I have no other issues. Since one of the sites I cannot reach is my email you can understand the seriousness of thhe problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might resolve this issue?I would appreciate any help that you might give. Thank you in advance.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:17 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I'm sorry that I cannot give a specific answer but I can give some things to try.

First clear you temp internet files then go to a problem site. If it fails try a refresh.

Domain Name Servers (DNS) used by an ISP can be a bit flakey. I have not used an ISP DNS for years. Try OpenDNS.
https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/

Get tough with Comcast (they are terrible). Since the modem was replaced this should be up to them to fix. If the above two suggestions fail insist that a tech be sent out to fix at no charge.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Is this a combination router/modem? Is the computer connected with a wire or wirelessly?
What happens if you use Edge or Internet Explorer to try to access the same sites not available via Chrome?
I agree with Jay on the 1st and 3rd items. I don't think you need to refresh the PC and I wouldn't switch to OpenDNS at this point.
1. Clear your temporary Internet Files
2. Power everything off and then restart. (Unplug the modem/router, shut down the PC; power up the modem/router, then power up the PC after the modem lights indicate that it has connected)
3. Contact Comcast and get them to swap the modem/router again.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:26 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
3. Contact Comcast and get them to swap the modem/router again.

I would for sure exchange it. If definitely sound like a problem with
the modem/router

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks guys for your advice. I did clear the temp files, then rebooted the entire system including the modem/router and lo and behold everything is now working.

I can't explain why but I'll take it. As we all know these things have minds of their own.

Thanks again.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:33 pm 
welcoming committee

:tup:

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email