Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:33 am 
welcoming committee

I am helping a friend set up her new Acer laptop running Win 10 Home. She wants to continue using Windows Live Mail, but it appears that it can't be downloaded from Microsoft any more since Essentials is no longer supported.

Where is a safe place to download WLM? Thanks in advance....

Edit: Scratch that request.....I found a Microsoft archive website where I could download WLM. Thanks anyway.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:28 pm 

Glad you managed to get it, I know it works on 10 because I was using it because I could get all my email accounts working in it. On this Asus all those programs and settings were transported over when I did the upgrade to 10.

I can't remember now but when I got my new desktop which came with 10 I was able to get the programs etc. onto that as well.

Mind you I'm trying out Thunderbird at present on this Asus.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:03 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan, I've been using WLM on my Win 10 computer going on two years now. But Microsoft quit supporting it at the beginning of this year.....so now it's difficult to download & install. But I did finally find a Microsoft site.

My friend has been using WLM on her old Win 7 computer, so she is very familiar with it. Since Win 10 is going to be very new for her, she wanted to keep some programs that she was already familiar with, like WLM.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:13 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Does this friend have a Microsoft email account such as Hotmail or Outlook? Unless something has changed they will not be able to use the account with Live Mail on the new machine unless you can also find the patch to allow.

Also keep in mind that WLM reached end of life on January 10, 2017 so there are no security patches.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:24 pm 

BB, mind sending me that MS archive site?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:18 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
BB, mind sending me that MS archive site?

Jay, here is what a Microsoft MVP (Bruce Hagen)posted:
"This is the only link left that is working that I know of. Microsoft pulled the download after support ended. I suggest you save the executable file in a safe place incase you need it again."

http://web.archive.org/web/201701121245 ... up-all.exe

It actually lets you install all of Microsoft Essentials, but I only wanted WLM. And it worked good.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:34 pm 

OK, thanks. I was just curious as Softpedia also offers a working download. The problem is that I doubt that either will work if a Microsoft email account is involved. I know that Softpedia will not as I tried. As long as an MS account is not involved all should be fine except for the security issue.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:37 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Does this friend have a Microsoft email account such as Hotmail or Outlook? Unless something has changed they will not be able to use the account with Live Mail on the new machine unless you can also find the patch to allow.

Also keep in mind that WLM reached end of life on January 10, 2017 so there are no security patches.

Jay, my friend does not have any Microsoft email account. She is not a heavy computer user....to her it is only a tool/toy. She is only getting a new laptop because her old one started giving her a lot of problems. I talked her into getting one with Win 10 Home installed, and I promised to set it up for her. But she wanted to keep old programs whenever possible. Thus my search for WLM. I also searched, found and installed all her Win 7 games (using your favorite winaero.com). And I will be installing FreeOffice for her, since she was still using Word & Excel from Office XP.

Now I have a question for you, since I also use WLM. If I switch to the new Mail program in Win 10, will I be able to keep all my old WLM messages and Storage Folders configuration? I have many organized messages going back years that I don't want to lose.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:55 pm 

I have not messed with the Windows 10 mail app but just launched. The layout was different but all my accounts and my folder layout were there and exactly as I set up in Outlook. Would this be the same without Outlook installed and WLM being the default? I just don't know. All I can say is to open 'Mail' and see what you see. Make sure to click on the 'Folders' link in the left pane to see your actual folder layout. I do not know if this 'Folder' view can be set as the default or if the order can be changed.

If Windows 10 Mail is not a workable option I would rather see your friend (and you) using something like Mozilla (Firefox) Thunderbird as it would be better as to security. Still I can't say that there would be a great security risk in still using WLM as long as the user uses it wisely and has good security as I'm sure you will set up.

As a note I do NOT like seeing any end of life software being used on a system but I would consider using WLM a lesser risk than using an end of life OS such as XP.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:29 pm 

I've started using Thunderbird and quite like it. With the inbuilt Mail program and Outlook I had problems trying to get all my email accounts working in either one of them whereas they all work in Thunderbird, the only thing I miss is having RSS Feeds, I know I can get them in Outlook but they are tucked away inside my Microsoft account not in their own folder so most of the time I miss them. With Mail I'd keep getting the message about the accounts being out of date and no matter how many times I'd check the account and it was correct I'd still keep getting the message come up.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:59 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
I've started using Thunderbird and quite like it. With the inbuilt Mail program and Outlook I had problems trying to get all my email accounts working in either one of them whereas they all work in Thunderbird, the only thing I miss is having RSS Feeds...

Joan, I've never used RSS but I do use Thunderbird on Win 7, as far as I can tell this article is the latest (albeit old) and applies to both 7 & 10:

How to Subscribe to News Feeds and Blogs:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... -and-blogs

It seems a bit long winded to me but because I've never used RSS perhaps it's the norm? ;)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:57 am 

Doddie wrote:
JoanA wrote:
I've started using Thunderbird and quite like it. With the inbuilt Mail program and Outlook I had problems trying to get all my email accounts working in either one of them whereas they all work in Thunderbird, the only thing I miss is having RSS Feeds...

Joan, I've never used RSS but I do use Thunderbird on Win 7, as far as I can tell this article is the latest (albeit old) and applies to both 7 & 10:

How to Subscribe to News Feeds and Blogs:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... -and-blogs

It seems a bit long winded to me but because I've never used RSS perhaps it's the norm? ;)

Thanks for the link Doddie I'll have a look at it when I get a spare few minutes, I might not bother though as I'm not missing them as much now and I'm struggling to keep up with all my emails and forums as it is. :lol:

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email