Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:18 pm 
welcoming committee

On my Win 10 computer I currently use IE 11. I have an extensive list of Links, and I use my Links toolbar to access all my favorite websites. This toolbar is located to the left of the system tray.

I am slowly but surely trying to use Edge, but it is taking a 'getting use to'.

I know I can import all my Favorites from IE into Edge, but I can't find a way to have a Links toolbar that will then open my favorites with Edge like I can with IE. Is there a way of creating such a Links toolbar for Edge?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:35 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I'm not exactly sure that I understand your question. Are you meaning the Links toolbar located on the taskbar as your post seems to indicate of do you mean within Edge?

If, as I believe you mean, the Links toolbar would not work with Edge unless you make Edge your default browser. Clicking a link SHOULD always open the default browser.

As an aside the Links toolbar is a pretty handy tool. I use it but not for links. It is what allows me to have my Recycle Bin located on my taskbar.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:56 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay. The thing I failed to do was to actually make Edge my default browser. Once I did that, the Links opened up in Edge. Sometimes the obvious totally escapes me.....duh.

Now I don't see a need of importing my Favorites into Edge, since I can get to them through the Links toolbar once I make Edge my default browser. Or am I missing something else?

I take it you want your Recycle Bin on your taskbar so as to keep your desktop void of icons?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:53 pm 

I would still import your favorites to Edge just for redundancy. Have fun with Edge. :) Personally I just don't like the thing and will stay with IE as long as possible. I really can't say there is all that much wrong with Edge but it is just one of those cases where I like something else more.

Yes you are correct as to why I want the Recycle Bin on my taskbar. Since I use video files for my desktop wallpaper I want the screen totally clean. I have zero icons on my desktop. I also have my taskbar set to 'auto hide'.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:48 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, I purchase a lot of things online from Walmart. For the past couple of weeks their website was really slow and sometimes wouldn't react at all. I did a little internet research and read where I might need to delete the Walmart cookie and cache. I found where all my cookies are stored, but I didn't see the one for Walmart. And I had no idea where to find the cache for Walmart (I'm not even sure I know what that means).

So in the process of trying to place a big order at Walmart.com, I tried using Edge and everything worked just fine. Then I tried IE again without success, but Edge worked every time.

I still prefer IE, but not when it bogs me down. Any ideas on how to improve my Walmart website utilization? Thanks......

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:17 pm 

The cache is the same as temp internet files.

Resetting IE might help. Internet Options/Advanced/Reset.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I hesitated to delete all my cookies and temp internet files (or resetting IE) since Walmart.com was the only website acting up. And I wasn't the only customer having problems, so my first search indicated that the problem might be eliminated if I deleted the cookies and cache just for Walmart. I found out how to delete a specific cookie, but I couldn't find the one for Walmart. So then I went looking for how to delete the cache for Walmart, and I located some instructions for doing so by using the F12 key to open the Developer Tools.

Since I don't always have to know what I am doing in order to try something, I went ahead and opened the Developer Tools after first going to the Walmart.com website. On the panel that appeared at the bottom of the screen, I saw where to delete the Walmart cache, so this is what I did. Although I have no way of knowing for sure, I think this worked because Walmart.com started acting OK when I used IE.

Thanks for all your help and recommendations....

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:46 pm 

As to your cache never fear dumping. In fact I have IE set to delete it every time IE is closed. Below is how I have things set to auto delete.

If Walmart keeps working don't bother but resetting IE is no big deal. You just don't check the box to kill personal data. About all you will see is some loss of auto log ins for sites.

Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 59.34 KiB | Viewed 6579 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, my IE is set up the same way, only I don't delete on exit. That first box (Preserve Favorites website data) has always been confusing to me. Does a checkmark in the that particular box mean preserve or delete that data?

Just curious, if you click on Settings and go to Website Data Settings/Caches and databases tab, do you allow website caches and databases? I see Walmart.com in my list.....is that where I could delete the cache just for Walmart?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:22 pm 

The top box is checked to keep data for sites in your favorites. I preserve for cookies. As an example, if not preserved, I'd have to log in every time I came to these forums as the auto log in data is kept in a cookie.

I never really looked at 'Website Data Settings/Caches and databases tab' but I just disabled to see if there is an impact. There is argument that, with todays Internet speeds, caching sites is not needed and can potentially even slow down browsing.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:23 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
The top box is checked to keep data for sites in your favorites. I preserve for cookies. As an example, if not preserved, I'd have to log in every time I came to these forums as the auto log in data is kept in a cookie.
Yes, I know and appreciate the importance of preserving. It's just the box that confuses me, i.e., do I check for keeping or deleting? A check in all the other boxes on that page means delete, but I guess a check in this box means keep this Favorites data (which is what I do).
I never really looked at 'Website Data Settings/Caches and databases tab' but I just disabled to see if there is an impact. There is argument that, with todays Internet speeds, caching sites is not needed and can potentially even slow down browsing.
Easy for you to say, lol. But remember that my internet speed is pretty slow.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:44 pm 

Yes, you want the top box checked to preserve.

I don't recall your Internet speed but mine is OK at an average of 66 Mb/sec.. In reality that is not fast by today's standards but pretty decent for a smaller town of ~17,000 people. I also set my cache size to not exceed 50 MB. On my system that is the low end of the recommended range of 50-250 MB.

So far I have not noticed a difference after disabling Website Data Settings/Caches and databases.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:11 pm 
welcoming committee

Remember that Manny and I live in the boonies by choice. My download internet speed is around 3.75 Mb/sec, lol.

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email