Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:33 pm 
welcoming committee

The reason I went to Windows 10 yesterday was to see how it opened Google Images. After my 1-1/2 hour boot, I found out that MS Edge and Firefox both opened Google images to this url: https://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi

That particular url shows a "camera icon" that allows me to upload images and it shows where else the uploaded image might appear on the net. When I use IE 11 it opens the same url:
https://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi

The big difference is that the "camera icon" is missing and I totally do not understand how the same url can open two different pages or maybe its the same page without the "camera icon". Is it possible that IE 11 is blocking that icon??

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Web pages are coded to detect the web browser and features will be shown or hidden based on the capabilities of the browser. I just checked IE11 on this machine and there's no camera icon, either.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:48 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sine I happen to like Internet Explorer I hate to see this but sites are starting to be coded to favor Edge over Internet Explorer.

Web sites are comprised of several programming languages. HTML is the main base but there are several others such as PHP and JavaScript. Take these forums as an example... This site is considered to be written in PHP but the real purpose of the PHP is to handle the data base. Other than that the PHP code, pretty much, just calls up HTML and JavaScript code.

The problem that you are likely seeing, Allyson, is that as long as the HTML is written to set standards it will work with pretty much any browser. Sadly PHP and JavaScript is not so tight as to standards so code written for one browser may not work in another. This was one of the biggest headaches I had when I wrote sites. I had to write code for each of the major browsers then detect which browser was being used to determine what browser specific code to make active.

Since Microsoft seems bent on favoring Edge over Internet Explorer site authors are following suite and not writing Internet Explorer specific code. I would bet dollars to donuts that this is why you do not see the icon in Internet Explorer.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:37 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Web pages are coded to detect the web browser and features will be shown or hidden based on the capabilities of the browser. I just checked IE11 on this machine and there's no camera icon, either.

Thanks for the information Steve and Jay

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email