Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:06 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
That is why I suggested adding your email addresses as words found in the header.

Jay, when I tried to enter my first (of five) email addresses as words found in the header, I got this error message:
Header Words must be specified as "Name:Value" pair

I don't know what that means so I didn't know what to do next.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:21 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Oops! I had not tried actually entering an email address. Try entering just the part on the left side of the @ sign.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:46 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Oops! I had not tried actually entering an email address. Try entering just the part on the left side of the @ sign.

That would be bbarry, and I got the same error message.

What do you think they mean by "Name:Value" pair?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:06 pm 

OK, I looked it up on their site and, dumb as this seems, you have to specify a specific line in the header to search the words. Let's drop that idea...

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:13 pm 
welcoming committee

I was researching the same thing, and it looks to me like they want something like this:
To: bbarry@a*****.com

I.E., I must include the To:. So I tried this and I did not get the error message. Now I will see if it works as an exception. I will enter all my email addresses that way.

EDIT: I may have to remove the : after the To, as eM Client doesn't seem to use the colon in the header address.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:21 pm 

Oh, OK, cool! :)

That isn't how it was explained on their forums. I guess by the line in the header they didn't mean like first, second or so on line. They must have meant a line designation which would explain needing the 'To:'.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:24 pm 
welcoming committee

I just tried removing the colon after the To, and it didn't like that. So I am back to using:
To: bbarry@a******.com

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:42 pm 

If they are looking at the 'To:' as a line designation you would need the ':'.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:29 pm 

Well I tried setting up a working test rule on my system and the following worked. I placed the rule first in line. Funny that this is about the simplest tried and it works. I guess that is proof of the KISS rule. :mrgreen:

This may sound obvious but I've found that obvious is not always so. Any time you make a rule that prevents processing others you must place that rule last in the list of rules you want to run or your other rules will never run. Also any rules that you make above the one that ends processing rules must not have a stop processing command.

Attachment:
rule-23.png
rule-23.png [ 35.64 KiB | Viewed 5142 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:18 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I'm confused again. I'm trying to get my spam email moved to my Junk folder. I don't know what your designated folder is in your above rule, but if it's Junk then all email addressed to me would go in the Junk folder. If your designated folder is not Junk, then where are you sending the spam email that doesn't have these words in the the header?

I thought I was there when I followed your last rule example, after we figured out that words had to be To: bbarry@a******.com. But now I'm confused again.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:29 pm 

Sorry that I confused you and I probably should have explained more in my last send. I was just testing the words in header To:email-address rule. As I don't get hardly any spam at all I had to test another way. I created a test folder, used the rule and sent myself an email.

You would use the words in header as an exception after setting to go to junk. Your rule would look more like the following. Note that there is no space between To: and the email address. Of course you would have five email listings. And oops, I think that you want to send to junk, not trash as I did in the following.
Attachment:
rule-24.png
rule-24.png [ 45.28 KiB | Viewed 5122 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:26 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, that makes more sense to me now.....you didn't show the "except with xxx found in header" in your first post, and that's what confused me.

I'm pretty far along with my rule now because I've added most of the names in my Contacts list as exceptions. So I hate to keep changing it unless necessary.

Here's what my rule currently looks like. I used Paint to block out all the email addresses. I had to snip it in two parts because with my list of exceptions, it was too large for one snip page. And my hand is not real steady using Paint, lol.
Attachment:
rule1.JPG
rule1.JPG [ 26.21 KiB | Viewed 5122 times ]

Attachment:
rule2.JPG
rule2.JPG [ 21.51 KiB | Viewed 5122 times ]

Unless you see an error in my rule, I want to leave it like it is and test if it really works. Like I said earlier, I didn't get any spam last night.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:48 pm 

Looks OK to me. Just be sure to check your junk folders before emptying to be sure nothing is being sent to junk that you actually want. I really could not test the exception dealing with words in the header as I really don't hardly get any spam. I had to come up with another way to test the words in header rule which resulted in my screen shot that confused you.

Just remember that, if you set multiple rules, it is mandatory that only the last rule has the stop processing. As a thought you may want to move your black list rule to the be the top rule listed. No matter how good a rule is it is still likely that something will get through and the black list can of some help. Even if the black list rule does not help it should not hurt. Sigh, this is likely to bring up the question of why Steve and myself told you to make your custom rule first. That was for testing and getting things working. When all is said and done my opinion is that you would also want your black list included.

You can add all contacts at once just by checking the 'name' checkbox. This will select all contacts.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Looks OK to me. Just be sure to check your junk folders before emptying to be sure nothing is being sent to junk that you actually want. I really could not test the exception dealing with words in the header as I really don't hardly get any spam. I had to come up with another way to test the words in header rule which resulted in my screen shot that confused you.
Things worked as expected last night. I received one spam and it went to my Junk folder. And I received two normal emails (including this one from CH) and they went to my Inbox. So thus far, so good. And I do check my Junk folder before emptying just to make sure.

Just remember that, if you set multiple rules, it is mandatory that only the last rule has the stop processing. As a thought you may want to move your black list rule to the be the top rule listed. No matter how good a rule is it is still likely that something will get through and the black list can of some help. Even if the black list rule does not help it should not hurt. Sigh, this is likely to bring up the question of why Steve and myself told you to make your custom rule first. That was for testing and getting things working. When all is said and done my opinion is that you would also want your black list included.
I understand and have now moved it up to be the top rule. Previously this rule had indeed caught a few entries for my black list.

You can add all contacts at once just by checking the 'name' checkbox. This will select all contacts.
I guess I didn't see that. I did see a Contacts button that I clicked, which did bring up my entire Contacts list. But I then had to check the box beside the name of each Contact I wanted to include in my exceptions.

I'll mention one other thing. You saved me from making an error in the "with Word found in header". I had left a space between the To: and the address, so I went back and deleted the space for all my email addresses.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully my Wizard rule is now working.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:38 am 
Site Admin

Excellent!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:33 am 

Good job. :)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:33 pm 

Hey BB, you might find this handy if you don't already know. It has nothing to do with rules but I can't see any sense in starting a new thread for this.

I bugged me that my most used email account was third in the email account display list so I took a look around. If you go to menu>tools>accounts you willsee all your email accounts on the left. Highlight one and use the up/down arrows at the bottom to arrange the display order as you want.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Yea Jay, I had already found those arrows and arranged my accounts in desired order. But thanks for thinking about me.

BTW, my rule seems to be working just fine. I did have an email from a friend go to my Junk folder this morning, but it was because I had not yet added him to the exceptions list. And two spam emails went directly to my Junk folder. so great.......

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:10 pm 

Good deal! :)

LOL! I *almost* wish I got spam so I could set up a rule to kill. :mrgreen: It even seems that the spam I used to get trying to get me to buy photo editing has stopped. Come to think of it I don't think I've gotten a single bit of spam since I installed eM Client... well I have but it has all been sent to my junk folders without my doing anything. Actually some stuff went to junk that I wanted such as my cooking recipe emails but that was due to being marked as spam by SpamAssassin through my hosting email addresses. I don't know what Microsoft uses as a spam filter but it has been the same case on my Hotmail account; I have not gotten a single spam email in any my Inboxes.

I MIGHT set up a rule to have on-line payment receipts go straight to the proper sub-folder in my stored email folder automatically marking as read. If I do it will only be regular payments like cable and hosting, not such things as purchases. This should actually be easy just by going with a rule according to words in the subject as such emails from my cable has a subject of "Thanks for your payment" while the same from my hosting has a subject of "Thank you for your payment". Since they are different I would just set up two rules, one for each subject content. Of course this is somewhat silly to do as my cable payment email is once a month and hosting quarterly but it is fun to play... :mrgreen:

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email