Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » Ten Forward

Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:40 pm 

Thanks I've been looking at a few of them in my travels around the net, mind you I do still keep going back to look at that HP Envy 360 which is one I could afford and has most of what I want. Some of the Asus machines come in a bit pricey to get what I wanted.
My poor brain is getting scrambled looking for a new machine but I'll get there, just hope I don't make a wrong choice in the end. :-(

Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:36 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
Thanks I've been looking at a few of them in my travels around the net, mind you I do still keep going back to look at that HP Envy 360 which is one I could afford and has most of what I want.

Fyi, AO.com are displaying a 10% off promo code on their page for the HP laptop page you were looking at... that would take the price down to £674.10

It doesn't say why or for how long the promo code is valid.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:23 pm 

I've just done it Doddie, I'll get it on Thursday, with the saving I can go get an external DVD drive. I've had a few things from ao and been very pleased with them, of course I'll take out their protection plan, that way I'll have no worries about any problems.
Their plan covers accidental damage whereas the extended terms with Littlewoods doesn't cover that.
I'm looking forward to playing with a new machine. :-)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:45 pm 
welcoming committee

I've never used ao, believe it or not until a few months ago i didn't even know they existed!
I tend not to pay too much attention to websites or companies with daft names... something i know i need to address now that younger 'generations' appear to welcome such things with open arms :roll:

Hope you and hubby have endless hours of fun with the new laptop! :nana1:

p.s. For accidental damage cover i always make it a point to add that and 'extended accidental cover' to my home contents insurance... in the UK the norm seems to be these days that if you have 'extended accidental cover' they will cover you for theft/loss/damage on most electrical/computer items outside of the home for items valued under £2,000, of course it depends on the insurance provider and always requires delving into the small print to work out what exactly they will and won't cover but most will cover laptops/tablets and the like... the one thing none of them seem to cover though is a mobile phone.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:20 pm 

I'd have to dig into my insurance to find that out. I just have contents as the property is rented so the landlord pays for the house insurance. He came round Christmas eve to bring us a card a bottle of wine and a box of Ferrero Rocher.
My phone is covered via my bank account, mind you as it never leaves the house it doesn't really matter.

Oh! regards hubby, he'll not touch it, it's mine and no-one else will touch it. ;-)

Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:29 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
I just have contents as the property is rented

Ditto, which is why i specifically said contents insurance ;)

Quote:
Oh! regards hubby, he'll not touch it, it's mine and no-one else will touch it. ;-)

Jeez, you're tough... can't touch the laptop and he may need to start paying a tv licence! :rofl2:

Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan
Have nothing but good luck with the new machine
Enjoy

Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:49 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Have fun! :)

Now comes the joy of the adventure of getting rid of all the garbage they put on new systems. ;) If you look in 'Programs and features' in your control panel you will probably see a listing for HP Updater or something like that. Run it once to get the most current device drivers then get rid of the thing as it is a total resource hog unless things have recently changed.

When you get the thing it will only be partially ready to run. You will have to finish the setup. Unless things have changed you will see a screen that has, in large font in the lower right, the option to use recommended settings. This is where you will set what is and is not sent to Microsoft. In the lower left, in MUCH smaller font, will be the option to manually set the settings. I suggest that use the manual option. This will allow you to set telemetry as one group of options. There is nothing in this group that cannot be changed after setup is complete but it is the only time you will see all the options in one group.

I hope you don't mind some other advice but I don't think you have dealt with an SSD before. With a 128GB SSD I would not go over a used space of 100-105GB as a maximum. I suggest that you keep installs of software to the SSD to such things as Office and video/photo editing softwawe along with other things that you use a lot. Also set the SSD drive to not defrag and to also not index files.

As to less used software I suggest that you create a folder on the 1TB drive named 'Programs' or such. Install less used software to this folder. This will make it so that your more used stuff loads much faster and less used stuff does not use space on the SSD.

LOL! Now you get to decide what external optical drive to get. ;) Personally I tend to like Asus and LG drives. If you ever connect the laptop to a large HDTV you might want to consider a Blu-ray drive. By a large HDTV I mean over 50 inches.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:16 pm 

Doddie wrote:
JoanA wrote:
I just have contents as the property is rented

Ditto, which is why i specifically said contents insurance ;)

Quote:

Jeez, you're tough... can't touch the laptop and he may need to start paying a tv licence! :rofl2:

:rofl2: He doesn't touch this Asus Notebook of mine or my desktop, I have to go onto his though, it's me that has to put things right when he messes things up or make things work when they don't do what he thinks they should do, anybody would think I know a lot about them. :roll:

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:58 pm 

jaylach wrote:
Have fun! :)

Now comes the joy of the adventure of getting rid of all the garbage they put on new systems. ;) If you look in 'Programs and features' in your control panel you will probably see a listing for HP Updater or something like that. Run it once to get the most current device drivers then get rid of the thing as it is a total resource hog unless things have recently changed.

When you get the thing it will only be partially ready to run. You will have to finish the setup. Unless things have changed you will see a screen that has, in large font in the lower right, the option to use recommended settings. This is where you will set what is and is not sent to Microsoft. In the lower left, in MUCH smaller font, will be the option to manually set the settings. I suggest that use the manual option. This will allow you to set telemetry as one group of options. There is nothing in this group that cannot be changed after setup is complete but it is the only time you will see all the options in one group.

I hope you don't mind some other advice but I don't think you have dealt with an SSD before. With a 128GB SSD I would not go over a used space of 100-105GB as a maximum. I suggest that you keep installs of software to the SSD to such things as Office and video/photo editing softwawe along with other things that you use a lot. Also set the SSD drive to not defrag and to also not index files.

As to less used software I suggest that you create a folder on the 1TB drive named 'Programs' or such. Install less used software to this folder. This will make it so that your more used stuff loads much faster and less used stuff does not use space on the SSD.

LOL! Now you get to decide what external optical drive to get. ;) Personally I tend to like Asus and LG drives. If you ever connect the laptop to a large HDTV you might want to consider a Blu-ray drive. By a large HDTV I mean over 50 inches.

I thought I'd answered this yesterday, got the new laptop not had chance to do anything yet, well apart from plugging it in but not turned it on yet.
I will be keeping your post open Jay so I can check things as I go, hopefully I'll be able to start sorting it out shortly. :)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:22 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

I might be missing something here, but in my experience programme files don't really take up that much space compared to the OS and on an SSD whether they do or not, it's really neither here nor there... assuming the online hyperbole (I'm not convinced that's as current as it used to be given the warranties supplied by SSD manufacturers these days) about right/read limits is actually true, surely what would be more important is the space for the files and the SSD will take care of the rest?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:28 pm 

It is a 128 GB SSD. In many cases that is just not enough space to install everything. Hence my suggestion to install less used items to the spin drive. Shoot, my current system drive is 251 GB and all my data is on a different drive.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:35 pm 
welcoming committee

My D drive, which is a partition of my SSD is a 10GB partition and used solely for the installation of any programmes/applications i have on my PC, my thinking is loading whatever the file may be i want to open, the biggest bottleneck is opening the programme in the first place so i don't need hundreds or thousands of other files on the same partition... it seems to work for me.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:22 pm 

I've been busy the last couple of days sorting it out and getting my security, which is important, set up before I start on other stuff.
It's full HD and everything is so much clearer on screen. I got an external DVD reader/writer drive today just got to sort out a program I can use with it. ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:28 pm 

Joan, you really don't need any specifec program for the burner although one may be available on the manufacturer's site. You can just drag files to the drive icon and then tell it to burn.

If you want a specific program Microburner 4 still works fine in Windows 10 even though it is ancient. It's a single stand-alone file that does not even need to be installed.
http://jaylach.com/downloads/

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:12 pm 

Thanks Jay, I've heard you talk about Microburner before and knew you had a copy, I'll look into it. Just been starting to get some of my programs into it that I need, mainly Zinio at the moment as that is what I use to get my craft magazines from my libraries. :-)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Lenovo is still very big in the business space and their consumer laptops and tablets are also quite highly rated.
-steve

A bit redundant now that Joan is sorted, may be of interest to others... as ever with things reported on The Register doing your own homework may be required ;)

SuperFish cram scandal: Lenovo must now ask nicely before stuffing new PCs with crapware:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02 ... ettlement/

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:01 pm 

I hate some of the stuff that comes on a new system and it isn't just Lenovo.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:22 pm 
welcoming committee

I've purchased two Lenovo's. The secret is to only get the Thinkpad systems. They don't do all the crap on them, and they are well made. The also aren't the cheap ones. You pay for them

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:33 pm 

Hi Pete! :) Haven't seen you in a while.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:08 pm 
welcoming committee

I've been around Jay. Thanks

Board index » Our Community » Ten Forward