Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Our Community » Ten Forward

Post subject: Return
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Hello, all...
After an extended absence due to a move and subsequently deciding to downsize my computing requirements by eliminating my PC and focusing exclusively on my iMac, I am back. It was a little frustrating to try to get here because I did not realise that the site had been revamped and old queries eliminated. Not having my name and password recognised to allow access necessitated my starting over...fortunately I could keep the name I'd originally used.
But, it's nice to see some familiar names and know if I have a network problem or a tablet issue, I still can find assistance.
Kind regards,
Charlotte :)

Post subject: Re: Return
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:14 am 
Fearless Leader

Hey Charlotte! Great to see you again! :D

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:47 am 

Welcome back Charlotte, we all had to start again so you're not on your own it nice to see you finally made it though. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:55 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Patty and Joan for the welcome.
This site was so very helpful when I had PC questions, both laptop and desktop, that even with my switching to the Mac, I still have good memories of this site. I will check in from time to time just to say HI!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:04 pm 
Fearless Leader

How do you like that iMac, Charlotte? And what sort of Tablet do you have, iPad?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:51 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hi, Charlotte, nice to see you. :)

Don't be afraid to ask an Apple question. Not as much of a chance of our being able to help but you never know. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:49 am 
welcoming committee

Hello, CharLotte. I, too, am seriously thinking of making my next system an iMac. Also, I am posting this on an iPad while up in Maine on a future house planning visit. Please, keep in touch, I may have Apple questions for you in the future.

Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:40 am 
welcoming committee

Patty and Acadia...
I really, really like the iMac. I came to the Mac through my son back in Nov '07 when he presented me with a "cast off 17" iMac" when the school he worked at upgraded their equipment. He put his name in the lottery to win one of the cast offs and won, but already having a newer system, he did not need it and thus my little "surprise" one night. He helped me get it upgraded to Leopard from Tiger and added more RAM. I added my own mouse because I couldn't get used to the Apple mouse. I need my right and left click and scroll wheel...lol! He was my support when I couldn't figure something out. That computer lasted until late Dec of '09. By that time I was hooked and the HP Pavilion my late husband and I had seemed so slow, so when I needed a new 'puter I got a 21" iMac New Years day of '10. I find myself using the iMac to watch movies because it's so much easier to deal with just popping the DVD into the slot and watching rather than dealing with the cable remote and DVD remote.
About the time I got the new iMac, my Dell laptop decided to die but my sister had an '06 Macbook she wasn't using because she didn't like it so much and was willing to let me borrow it. A couple things I did was to take my old copy of Leopard and use it to upgrade the Macbook from Tiger. I also upgraded the RAM and installed it myself.
I find much to like abt the OS. If I want to get rid of a program, I just drag it to the trash and am done with it, unlike a PC where you have to worry abt registry errors and other deep system features. And don't get me started about Norton and McAfee...just too complicated.
I don't have a tablet yet. I've been exploring my options. I like the iPad, but would pair it with a Bluetooth keyboard. My son brought his stepmother's iPad for me to try out when he came to visit one weekend and I found it was difficult to get used to typing on the screen so definitely a keyboard for me.
I am unsure whether to get just the WI-FI or the WI-FI/4G option. I like the idea of using the 4G as a navigation system in a car.
One of my sisters has a new Asus tablet and another sister, a Toshiba, I think and they both like them. I guess it's all what you get used to.
Well, I've rambled quite enough. Thanks for asking.
And, Acadia, I'd be happy to try to answer any Mac questions. If I don't know the answer, I'm sure my son might be able to give it a go.
Charlotte

Board index » Our Community » Ten Forward