Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:06 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Please remember that I run the photo department at a Walgreens store and see output results from just about every mobile device out there...

Let's use the Nokia Lumia 1020 41-megapixel camera as an example. 41 megapixels sounds awesome but the thing does not really take great pictures. My actual camera, which is a Canon Rebel T3, will blow it away yet only has 12.5 megapixels.

Let's explain a term as in megapixels. Megapixels have nothing to do with image quality. With a digital device, either an actual camera or other, megapixels just defines how large of a print you can make before the image starts to break up. My first digital camera was only 3.2 megapixels but took great shots. The problem was that if I tried to print anything larger than an 11X14 inch print it would start to break up.

With my Canon's 12.5 megapixels I can, of course, go much larger. On the wall behind me I have a print that is 36X24 inches and it is just as sharp and flawless as it would be at a much smaller size.

Megapixels ONLY define how far you can enlarge.

The real difference that defines the quality ... other than the photographer's ability and eye... is the optics. By optics I mean the lens on the camera/device. I absolutely DO consider an actual camera different than the camera on a mobile device. A mobile device is a multi-purpose device, it is not a camera. A camera is a single purpose device. Since a camera is specific to a purpose one would have to correctly assume that it would do a better job at that specific purpose.

Other than the photographer's ability it is all about the lens. There is not a mobile device on the market that can come close to matching my most used lens. Shoot, at a retail value of $650.00 the danged lens cost me more than the actual camera.

Just don't be fooled by megapixels on a mobile device, the optics are MUCH more important. Is the lens plastic or glass? Trust me in that, if you have an option, go for glass.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:59 pm 
Fearless Leader

I totally agree, actually, Jay.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:08 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I would expect that you would agree Patty. You look at devices as to what they actually are, not what is wanted.

LOL!... actually the following is not funny but has happened. Why are my pictures blurry? When you took them the focus was not set properly. Why does focus matter as I have plenty of mega pixels? Mega pixels have nothing to do with image quality. Then why do they have mega pixels? Mega pixels are like storage. Do you know what storage is? Of course I do! I have a backpack in which I store my laptop.

Where do you go with all that? While condensed such things actually DO happen.

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices