Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:52 am 
welcoming committee

Yes, MacDuffie, it's a laptop.

I struggled with 10. This OS behaves differently than the first upgrade in January.
Each subsequent version behaved differently than the prior, in ways mostly small, but some in large ways as well (the loss of keyboard & mouse for an entire day).

I lost Solution Center in November 2015 (w/W7). I'm reinstalling it again this morning (a CCleaner hiccup) but it took until the final version to work out the many different kinks that prevented me from being able to fully use all its functions. Quite a challenge.

IMO - so are all the anti-privacy properties.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:10 am 
Fearless Leader

CCleaner... no wonder you have so many issues.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

What do you actually mean by this?
"Without doing anything else, can I backup the videos (which are only on the card) to my HD?"
Do you want to copy the videos from the SD card to a hard drive that is connected or inside a computer?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:33 am 
welcoming committee

Stephen,

The videos were all moved, not copied, to the SD card.
I asked if I can simply connect tablet to laptop (via USB cable) and send the videos to my external HD? I left out the word, "external," because I don't think anybody would want to copy videos to an internal drive.
I know my external drives are NTFS formatted and your information about formatting was a little sticky.

Better?
Thank you.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:39 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:

No wonder? CCleaner? You recommended it to me.
Other than in passing, over the years, I never made a concerted effort to keep my computer groomed with this app.
If I wrote Iobit Uninstaller, would you have said the same thing?
I am not being contrary, by the way.
I am surprised to hear you say this.
And damn! I got a batch of Windows cumulative updates last night, so I cannot even install the HP printer without fatal errors. I've had three bad reactions to CU, in varying levels of badness.
I give up.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:47 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Somewhere there is a miss-communication. In all the years that I have known Patty she would NEVER have recommended CCleaner to anyone. Nor would she recommend any other package that included a registry cleaner/optimizer.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:55 am 
welcoming committee

Really?

Thank you, Jay.

People recommend Revo. I find it slow. What do you think about Iobit? A tech I hired recommended that Total Clean Everything program by Iobit and somebody else had me remove everything. I did. Then I only installed the uninstaller. HP is particularly insidious about the files they leave behind, which no programs ever pick up.
Then that bloody Iobit uninstaller keeps trying to install their other programs and I actually had a hard time getting rid of one that I somehow downloaded yesterday.
It's like rape. I swear, it's computer rape.

Good night, Jay.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:16 am 

Nancy... I REALLY don't know how to answer.

First, as to Iobit un-installer, I cannot comment as never even heard of it until your post here. At a quick look as to their site I doubt that I would install.

CCleaner can be an 'OK' tool in the proper hands but, if allowed to do what it wants, it will make changes to your registry. This has the potential to waste your system.

Quote:
Then that bloody Iobit un-installer keeps trying to install their other programs and I actually had a hard time getting rid of one that I somehow downloaded yesterday.

By this statement alone I would have to say that you may want to find another tech...

Look Nancy, there have been a few times in the past when you got a bit irritated with me for being overly aggressive and demeaning in my responses to your questions. Yet, once again, you give me no choice but to say again what I have said before.

You are not being fair to us. You come here asking for help yet are following other advice at the same time without even letting us know what you are doing. Proof of this is that you just now mention CCleaner and Revo and Iobit. This is totally counter productive and, potentially, disastrous.

You need to make a decision as to who you are going to trust for help and follow through with recommendations without applying other fixes at the same time. Please believe that I am not yelling at you. I am just presenting a simple fact. When you have a computer issue, mixing different solutions usually ends up with a situation that is worse than the original. You have to decide what solution you are going to try and carry through to the end before even thinking about trying another solution.

I'm really not yelling at you Nancy; I'm trying to explain why you just may be self destructive in these matters. Let me try to explain what I'm saying in the following...

I like to cook and try different things. Say that you were having a dinner party and decided that prime rib was needed but had never done a prime rib. You search on-line for recipes and find three that seem interesting but can't decide which to use so you combine all three. I'm sure that you will agree that combining the three recipes will probably result in something not as good as if you had gone with one single recipe. Yet this is what you seem to do when asking for help with computer issues. You seem to mix all three recipes together at the same time instead of trying one at a time.

I'm sure that you are, once again, mad at me now but I can't help that. To be of use as to helping I MUST be honest in what I see and believe. The above is honestly what I see.

As an aside I've considered saying this for quite a while but have not done so as it seems like you want to solve your own issues. Yet I have a possible suggestion for you. You use your system for business so any time that is spent trying to solve issues is a loss of time that could be applied to your business. Loss of time equates to loss of money. I think that it just might be worth your while, and even save you money in the long run, to put a tech on retainer to maintain your system. If you consider this advice don't just run out and grab someone. For such a situation to work the tech has to be someone with whom you can easily talk. Sometimes a tech of lesser ability might be your better choice if you can easily talk about issues. The best tech in the world is useless if the tech cannot understand how you try to explain issues.

Sorry if I have in any way offended you with this post but I doubt that anyone involved with Computer Haven will disagree with anything that I have said. I am totally speaking from my heart and with your best interest in mind.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:56 am 
Site Admin

nancy wrote:
Stephen,

The videos were all moved, not copied, to the SD card.
I asked if I can simply connect tablet to laptop (via USB cable) and send the videos to my external HD? I left out the word, "external," because I don't think anybody would want to copy videos to an internal drive.
I know my external drives are NTFS formatted and your information about formatting was a little sticky.

Better?
Thank you.

The formatting of the drive on your computer, internal or external, is not an issue. The operating system of the computer deals with the file system.

You have two choices for copying files from the tablet's SD card to any drive attached to the PC.

1. Via a USB cable: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00046688/

2. Remove/eject the SD card from the tablet and then insert it into a card reader or adapter that allows you to use the microSD card on your PC as a storage device/drive. Open Windows explorer and copy the files as you would between any two drives.

A third option exists, too, but that involves additional software and knowledge of your network, so I'm hesitant to suggest considering it -- http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tablet ... ing-wi-fi/

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:06 am 
Site Admin

nancy wrote:
MacDuffie wrote:

No wonder? CCleaner? You recommended it to me.
Other than in passing, over the years, I never made a concerted effort to keep my computer groomed with this app.
If I wrote Iobit Uninstaller, would you have said the same thing?
I am not being contrary, by the way.
I am surprised to hear you say this.
And damn! I got a batch of Windows cumulative updates last night, so I cannot even install the HP printer without fatal errors. I've had three bad reactions to CU, in varying levels of badness.
I give up.

My personal opinion is that utilities such as ccleaner and iobit uninstaller, and to a lesser extent Revo uninstaller, should be used with caution. I have an extreme dislike for anything Iobit, but that may be unwarranted. I do have experience with ccleaner. The problem with using it to "maintain" a PC without understanding the details of what it is doing is that it can cause problems rather than correct them if registry entries and files are removed that the cleaner believes are not needed. Revo is specifically an uninstaller utility, not a registry "cleaner" -- to remove programs that are not able to be removed via normal uninstall routines (via Settings/Control Panel).

Sometimes the best maintenance routine for a Windows PC is to let Windows handle things. The exception is backups, where it is important to understand where your data is being stored and how and where it is being backed up.

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:49 am 
welcoming committee

Here's what I found works for me when I want to transfer files from any device to another. Use Dropbox.

Files get sent to the cloud automagically and then are synced with the other devices. Or, you can log in to the account and get any uploaded file. All the other ways should work as well but to me this is the most error free method once all the software is setup. And this really can all be done for free.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:06 am 
welcoming committee

I ended up deleting my 45-minute response.

Jay,

Your are indescribably wrong. I wish you would believe me when I told you this before.
I welcome your input and that of most of you. I think you all know who you are.

Two things: I know that I frustrate you. I am sorry that I didn't look at what I do from your perspectives.
(I try not to get too many opinions and I often check here first, without logging in.)

I'll have to finish my answer another time.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:07 am 
welcoming committee

Stephen Boots - thank you for your input on Iobit, etc. I've removed Iobit and I will stop cleaning my registry. I'll stick to cleaning my cache, temp files, and an occasional defrag.

As far as the transfer vid files, may I suggest that you consider "Yes" to be a perfectly acceptable answer?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:17 am 
welcoming committee

MANNY! Good to see you.

I will not choose to send my data to the cloud. I have a committed aversion to syncing my devices and to Google (Android) and to Microsoft. To MS in particular because of their extreme anti-privacy practices and policies. And to Google (Alphabet), in particular, because of their extremely close ties with our current and probable next administration, Mr Schmidt's ubiquity (and defense of NSA hacking), and their excessive purchasing of legislation and politicians.

Thank you for your suggestion, though.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:29 am 
Fearless Leader

It's extremely doubtful that I recommended CCleaner to you or anyone else, Nancy. I have been opposed to this program, and others of its type, since its very inception.

I was going to say never in a thousand years would I have recommended this, but I suppose it is not completely impossible. If I did so, it was many, many years ago, and I would have done so just to get rid of temp files, and I would have cautioned you never to use the registry cleaning function. Even so, I really don't think it was me. I just can't imagine doing so.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

nancy wrote:
Stephen Boots - thank you for your input on Iobit, etc. I've removed Iobit and I will stop cleaning my registry. I'll stick to cleaning my cache, temp files, and an occasional defrag.

As far as the transfer vid files, may I suggest that you consider "Yes" to be a perfectly acceptable answer?

You're most welcome.
You don't even need to do the defrag manually as that's an automated background Windows task that happens as part of maintenance. Let Windows take care of itself. And, quite honestly, unless Windows is alerting that you are low on space, I wouldn't bother clearing temp files or the browser cache either.

"Yes" is a good answer, so my reply from earlier today that provides a few options for copying files from the SD card to your PCs external drive should prove helpful, I hope. And I trust that I was clear this time regarding the file system format (NTFS on the external drive, FAT for the SD card) not being an issue as Windows is handling the translation just fine.

Hopefully not confusing the issue -- if the tablet had the ability to read an attached external drive (attached via USB directly to the tablet), the external drive's format/structure could be an issue since the tablet would need to understand NTFS to read/write the drive.

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:38 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
It's extremely doubtful that I recommended CCleaner to you or anyone else, Nancy. I have been opposed to this program, and others of its type, since its very inception.

I was going to say never in a thousand years would I have recommended this, but I suppose it is not completely impossible. If I did so, it was many, many years ago, and I would have done so just to get rid of temp files, and I would have cautioned you never to use the registry cleaning function. Even so, I really don't think it was me. I just can't imagine doing so.

MacDuffie, Jay jumped to your side swiftly!
I believe you, and it might have been a long time ago. Then again, you also taught me not to mess with my registry. How I absorbed that was not do it, personally. CCleaner has its own instructions.

I read some of the mixed outcry from either Patch Tuesday or another MS cohort. Updates can wreak such havoc. MS really should proceed with caution or stop forcing too many of us to install downloads when they sometimes cause a lot of damage. This is my third issue; I liked having none.
Do you check the updates before you install them?

Thank you.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:46 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
nancy wrote:

You're most welcome.
You don't even need to do the defrag manually as that's an automated background Windows task that happens as part of maintenance. Let Windows take care of itself. And, quite honestly, unless Windows is alerting that you are low on space, I wouldn't bother clearing temp files or the browser cache either.

"Yes" is a good answer, so my reply from earlier today that provides a few options for copying files from the SD card to your PCs external drive should prove helpful, I hope. And I trust that I was clear this time regarding the file system format (NTFS on the external drive, FAT for the SD card) not being an issue as Windows is handling the translation just fine.

Hopefully not confusing the issue -- if the tablet had the ability to read an attached external drive (attached via USB directly to the tablet), the external drive's format/structure could be an issue since the tablet would need to understand NTFS to read/write the drive.

-steve

With Firefox, I clear cache constantly. Thank you for the WinTip.

Nope - less sticky this time + it's on the right side.

Good night guys!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:11 am 
Fearless Leader

Hi Nancy,

Well I agree with you about Microsoft and updates. There are too many issues still to force-feed these things. I think Microsoft is headed in the wrong direction, as are so many tech companies. I am very sorry to see it.

No, I don't check updates before I install them. Life's too short. LOL If there is an issue, I will look into it after the fact. I haven't had any issues that make my machine unbootable, nor do I expect to have any. My machine is lean and mainstream. Almost all major programs I use regularly are Microsoft programs. Makes it easy, generally keeps compatibility issues to a minimum.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:55 pm 

Just my 2 pence worth and it's to say that I have an Asus Notebook, had it about 3 years now it came with Windows 8. I upgraded it to 8.1.1 then Windows 10 and I've since done the Anniversary version.

In all that time I've never had a problem with any updates, I let it install what it tells me it needs, done the latest a couple of days ago and no problems.

My Asus was not top of the range but it is brilliant.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:28 pm 

Nor do I bother checking updates before installing. Since I've pulled a trick with Windows 10 I DO just get a notification of updates and a list but I just go ahead and install. I DID have an issue a few days ago during a restart after updates but it ended up booting and I can't even be positive that it involved the updates.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:07 pm 
welcoming committee

Thank you everybody for your takes on updates. I really didn't think you would read about them first. I never even read about them after until this year, when I installed 10.

Have a good weekend.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:53 pm 
welcoming committee

There is a p.s. here. I searched online for the Sportskool videos long before I bought the Samsung. I don't mind paying for an hour CD, but wasn't all in for buying ten. I recently discovered that all of the videos I want are now available on YouTube. I watched one - as a test - on my laptop, and it played without interruption.
Through the Android tablet, the series is available. It may be on an iPad, but I don't own one, yet.

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices