Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices

Post subject: Windows Phone 8
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:08 pm 
Fearless Leader

Microsoft is on a roll! One day Surface, the next day Windows Phone 8! Here's the skinny on the new Windows Phone:
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2012/06/20/announcing-windows-phone-8.aspx

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post subject: Re: Windows Phone 8
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:12 pm 
welcoming committee

I'm looking to upgrade to a new phone, from a Samsung S4 to a Microsoft Lumia 640 XL LTE Dual Sim Black 8GB (RM-1096) Unlocked international model. I'm doing this to enhance the Windows 10 experience. Has anyone tried the new MS phones? Looking for opinions and reviews please if any. Thank you for your help.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

I've not used the 640XL, but have been using WP8 since release on a 1520 and WP10 preview on a 635. A friend just purchased the 640XL last week and he's very happy with it. I played with one at the Microsoft Store a few weeks ago and it is a very nice phone. I'm waiting for the rumored WP10 flagship that is supposed to be the successor to the 1520. I don't typically go for the unlocked versions, simply staying with the AT&T version, though it bugged me that AT&T crippled the 1520 by removing wireless charging and less built-in memory. I resolved the former by getting the charging case, which uses the competing wireless charging technology. The RAM issue hasn't been an issue as I've got a big Micro SD card in there for photos and music storage.
-steve

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:47 am 
welcoming committee

I don't normally consider going for unlocked versions either. I will do it this time since my provider, Verizon, doesn't offer this model or the 1520. I checked with them and I can buy it from a third party and still add it to my service.

The phone's OS can be upgraded from 8.1 to 10.0? I read that it was possible when MS releases Win 10 which should be now or very soon.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:43 am 

I'm running a Lumia 830 with 8.1. I read somewhere a short while ago that mine was one of the models that would be among the first to get the 10 upgrade but I suppose it will depend on my carrier which is Vodafone.

I love the Lumia's, I upgraded earlier this year from a Lumia 520 also Vodafone. I stick with them as they have the best signal where I live and, fingers crossed, don't have any problems with connection.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:58 am 
Fearless Leader

My husband just got the 640, not the XL. It's a beauty. I'd consider it myself, but my Icon has a way better camera. I too, like Steve, am waiting for the 950 XL.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:06 pm 
welcoming committee

I understand why you're waiting Patty. The 950 XL has everything you want in a mobile device. I found these short articles which briefly explains the features and shows pictures. I wonder what the cost will be?

Microsoft Lumia 950, 950 XL Flagship Smartphones Press Renders Leaked

Leaked: Microsoft Lumia 950, 950 XL press images surface online

Upcoming Microsoft Lumia flagships, the Lumia 950 and 950XL, leaked in these renders

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

Ritzter13 wrote:
I don't normally consider going for unlocked versions either. I will do it this time since my provider, Verizon, doesn't offer this model or the 1520. I checked with them and I can buy it from a third party and still add it to my service.

The phone's OS can be upgraded from 8.1 to 10.0? I read that it was possible when MS releases Win 10 which should be now or very soon.

Make sure that the phone can be used on Verizon's 4G network.
The 1520 does not work on Verizon's 4G network. I believe the International version will use Edge.
Yes, you will be able to upgrade to 10.0 -- probably October/November timeframe.

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:47 am 

My 830 takes fantastic photos I was really surprised just how good they were, in fact it has a better resolution than my digital camera.

I know my phone is 4G capable but it's no use to me as we can't get that where I live. :(

Board index » Technical Forums » Mobile Devices