Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:16 pm 
welcoming committee

I've been getting alien emails in my 2007 Outlook that normally it was easy to set up rules to send them directly to Deleted. But lately I've received emails from places that seem to come from some mailing list because they are directed to job applicants, etc all different subjects or From. Is there any easy to way to set up a rule for say 'anything related to job' so this category would all go into my Deleted folder?

This also could work for all the rogue emails that I'm getting in Spanish.

I never request any emails or am even looking for such in Spanish nor for a job . Rules usually let us use a recent 'subject' as something to alert Rules to send these to the deleted folder. But how could I specify 'jobs' or 'Spanish language inside email or subject' so it would encompass MORE than just specific subjects?

Thanks much for any help! Sorry if this was answered earlier but I couldn't find in Search. These rogue emails just keep getting more and more exhausting... katy98

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:29 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I've never really dealt with this exact type of issue but can see some rules that may help.

Before I continue I MUST point out that Office 2007 has reached its end of life and will no longer get security updates.

1) Select the rule to include a word or words in the subject if there is a common phrase.

2) Select the rule to include a word or words within the body of the email if that option is available.

I DO believe that both options are available but could be wrong.

I'm just posting this to give you a couple of quick ideas. Others will probably give better suggestions as I really don't get much spam and haven't really needed to set up rules.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:55 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks Jay for the tips, I had totally forgotten about the Advanced Options and that is where I needed to be. This will help a great deal. Happy Holidays!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I still use Office 2007. I got a security update for Word on 12/13/17, and a security update for the entire suite on 11/28/17.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:33 pm 

There are rare cases when Microsoft will put out patches even after end of life. As an example MS put out a security patch for Windows XP earlier this year.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:15 pm 
welcoming committee

I am glad we might get lucky and get updates but for my particular situation, this has more to do with having an email address that has been around the globe a dozen times. Thus getting the emails in Spanish or for jobs regarding resumes. It's just the same as getting junk mail in our postal mailbox. I think my only more permanent solution would be to get a 'new' email address. Or I could just ignore the ones I'm considering making rules for. It just would be too time consuming to keep 'ruling' everything. But it IS working for one that would send emails 5+ times a day :(. Thanks all!

- Barbara Corcoran

Last edited by katy98 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:24 pm 

If you can find a common factor in the emails a single rule should handle a bunch. Say that several start with 'Hola' (Hello) or include the word 'reanudar' (resume). You could just set up one rule that reacts to the word Hola or reanudar. Of course I'm just using Hola and reanudar as examples. Remember that a rule does not have to deal with a sender's email address or the email subject. It can also deal with the actual content of the email.

Also, if you right click on an email then Junk, you will see the selection for 'Junk email options'. You can use that to change the level of spam filtering used by Outlook. I believe that the default is no filtering. You can also use this to set Outlook to delete emails instead of sending to the Junk Folder. I recommend not setting to delete until it is proven that some emails you want are not being filtered. If a sender is blocked that is a mistake you would just right click on the email then Junk. Select to never block sender. If it then does not automatically move to your Inbox just drag and drop. That sender should now be excluded by the Outlook spam filter. Actually I THINK that changing the filtering to low would probably handle emails that are received in a language other than the system language. If not setting the filter to high level should but increases the chances of emails you actually want being filtered.

Another option is to just right click on the emails and, under Junk, select to block sender. This is not all that effective if they come from true spammers as they will tend to use many email addresses.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:04 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Jay, I'll try all the above. Is all good info. All the emails are from different sources: Nexxt, POF, Lensa (about summer interns) one from Uber and the subject is in Spanish (I don't use Uber). That's not a lot so far so hope it ends here and I'll try your suggestions. Thanks again! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:41 pm 

No problem, hope one works out.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:38 pm 
welcoming committee

Damn, hate when i type for ages then accidently hit the back button on my mouse and lose everything I'd typed, normally selecting the forward button restores the typed text but this was one of those occasions where it didn't :evil:

To paraphrase now:

Run your email address through the "have i been pwned" website:
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

It won't help stop the spam but it might give an insight into whether your email address and/or more has been compromised.

My personal opinion on the website is it looks and sounds a bit 'script kiddie", i can assure you though the man behind it knows his stuff:
https://haveibeenpwned.com/About

Worth remembering when using the website is it probably doesn't cover every data breach, e.g. A hacked company may not be open about a data breach....

Yahoo are worthy of mention here... they were hacked in 2013 and didn't disclose until 2016 they were hacked, when they claimed ONE BILLION accounts were hacked.

Fast forward to October 3rd this year, Yahoo finally came clean and announced that ALL THREE BILLION accounts in 2013 were hacked!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41493494
https://www.oath.com/press/yahoo-provid ... reviously/
[Yahoo/AOL are now know as OATH following the takeover by Verizon... who makes up these names and which planet do they report to??]

Point being, if a company knows they've been hacked and don't release the information it's unlikely "have i been pwned" will know about it, and even if they do find out about it through other means they're kind of morally obliged to speak to the company first before they go public with their findings so the company can take action to alert the consumer before every man and their dog jumps on the list trying to access as many accounts as possible.

By then of course the lawyers/marketing/pr/social media droids etc are spinning everything into how great the company is that didn't secure the data in the first place for coming clean.... all in the name of protecting the consumer of course... nothing to do with hiding the truth and the pursuit of profit you understand ;)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:20 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
No problem, hope one works out.
In checking just the emails from Nexxt, I can set a rule for Nexxt but the Rule goes by the email address of Nexxt. I can't begin to set rules for all the email addresses they come up with.

Now if Create Rule would ask for the 'name' in the 'From' box, it would encompass all the Nexxt emails but I have not found where I could ignore the email address and just go by the 'name Nexxt' in the 'From field'. I can't really change my email address because I use it for approx. 45+ different locations.

Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated!! katy ;)

- Barbara Corcoran

Last edited by katy98 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Dottie for your info and I just think my email address has been around since 1998 and has been in multiple email etc lists that are sold to multiple companies. The emails I've gotten appear to be to 'me' but within either the subject or the message, my email name is not typed the same (ie katy98 can show up as Katlyn98xox just for one example). I guess they have nothing to lose to send a fake message to everyone with any variation of the letters/numbers and we are the ones who get over-loaded with this 'junk mail'. I guess I'll just have to ignore these because even sending them to junk mail doesn't affect them. katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:36 pm 

Hmmm, what is the actual domain for the nexxt emails? If it is next.com with different first parts like 'something@nexxt.com' and 'something-else@nexxt.com' you could set the rule to reflect '*@nexxt.com'. the '*' acts as a wildcard and this would effectively act on anything that came in with the domain of '@nexxt.com'.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:42 pm 
welcoming committee

There's nothing you can do about any of the types of spam you're suffering from other than wait for the botnet or spambot to be taken out by law enforcement, they'll always find new ways of circumventing any spam filter you put in place.

Microsoft and most major IPS's all over the world are active in working with law enforcement to get these miscreants taken down as quickly as possible.

The point of my earlier post was to try and give you an insight into whether your email address etc (note this may include your banking/credit card info depending on the hack) was on a known hacker list.

If it clears the check in the link you might be ok but as you've had the same email address since 1998 i strongly doubt you've not inadvertently been caught up in some sort of website hack at some point or another... run your affected email address through the "have i been pwned" website and see what it returns...

It's perfectly safe and I'm somewhat gobsmacked you're seeking other avenues without having already tried it.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:52 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Hmmm, what is the actual domain for the nexxt emails? If it is next.com with different first parts like 'something@nexxt.com' and 'something-else@nexxt.com' you could set the rule to reflect '*@nexxt.com'. the '*' acts as a wildcard and this would effectively act on anything that came in with the domain of '@nexxt.com'.

@Jay, I'd be amazed if the visible information isn't spoofed making any search for domain name or username virtually impossible for an end user with limited knowledge.

The spam is likely targeted at a specific email address and the headers etc altered to hide the info your wanting Katy98 to look for.

I maintain checking to see if her email address is on a known hacker database, if it is then she may have a lot more to worry about than spoofed emails.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:00 pm 

You make a good point Doddie and I don't argue the possibility.

Hmmm, https://haveibeenpwned.com/ is a bit interesting. I had never heard of it until you mentioned. Both my Gmail and Hotmail accounts came up as positive in early 2015. In both cases the hack was from a breach on a hosting outfit I was looking at. Since I get almost zero spam I'm not going to worry too much.

All three of my emails through my hosting come up clean. I guess this is an indication that I made the right choice in staying with the hosting I had then and still do. ;)

What does 'pwned' stand for anyway?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:54 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

I think you have something there Jay!! Yes the 8 I checked so far, ALL end in Nexxt.com and it's any preceeding text that is what is different. I looked through my choices in the Rule and I believe I should use the Advanced Options, does one of those options available (or anywhere in a Rule) jump out at you as the one that would encompass 'anything from Nexxt.com'?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:05 pm 
welcoming committee

Doddie wrote:

If it clears the check in the link you might be ok but as you've had the same email address since 1998 i strongly doubt you've not inadvertently been caught up in some sort of website hack at some point or another... run your affected email address through the "have i been pwned" website and see what it returns...

It's perfectly safe and I'm somewhat gobsmacked you're seeking other avenues without having already tried it.

I would love to try doing this. I'll wait to see what you reply to Jay and see if it explains where and how to do this search. It sounds helpful but whether these unwanted emails can be stopped after finding out is what is most important. Btw, I've never heard of the 'have I been pwned website'; but there are a lot of things I don't know. Awaiting more info.... katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:32 pm 

katy98 wrote:
jaylach wrote:

I think you have something there Jay!! Yes the 8 I checked so far, ALL end in Nexxt.com and it's any preceeding text that is what is different. I looked through my choices in the Rule and I believe I should use the Advanced Options, does one of those options available (or anywhere in a Rule) jump out at you as the one that would encompass 'anything from Nexxt.com'?

Keep in mind that I'm using Office 2016 so things may not be exactly the same...

I tried the following as a test...

1) Go to Rules. ;) Obviously you know how to get there but I'm going to include anyway for others. Click 'File' then 'Manage Rules and Alerts. Now click 'New Rule'.
Attachment:
rules-1.jpg
rules-1.jpg [ 89 KiB | Viewed 18000 times ]

2) Make sure that 'Move messages from someone to a folder' is highlighted then click on 'People or public group'.
Attachment:
rules-2.jpg
rules-2.jpg [ 173.44 KiB | Viewed 18000 times ]

This will actually open your contacts list. At the bottom of the list you will see a field named 'From'. In this field enter *.nexxt.com and click 'OK'.
Attachment:
rules-3.jpg
rules-3.jpg [ 31.39 KiB | Viewed 18000 times ]

You will get an alert saying that the name does not exist. Click 'Cancel'. You will now see that the '*@.next.com' is actually displayed in what was the 'People or public group' link. This is what we want.
Attachment:
rules-4.jpg
rules-4.jpg [ 49.68 KiB | Viewed 18000 times ]

3) To finish just click on 'Move it to the specified folder' link and select the folder that you want. I assume this would either be 'Junk' or 'Deleted'. Click on 'Finish' and the rule will be set.

Note 1) I have not actually proven this method but all logic says it should work.

Note 2) It is VERY possible that where I said to enter '*@.nexxt.com' should just be '@.nexxt.com'. In fact I'd go with just '@next.com' first.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:40 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
What does 'pwned' stand for anyway?

My understanding is and has always been "Owned", that is, Pwned was a typo by someone somewhere at some time (possibly in a universe far far away but i don't know lol)

Best online definition i can come up with is this, take your pick from the list of speculative entries i guess :
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwned

Loosely speaking it means we "own" your account because we know your login credentials.

@katy98 I simply don't understand what you're waiting for?

It's as simple as entering your email address in a box and it runs that against a database of known compromised email addresses... either you'll get a return saying "Good news — no pwnage found!", or, "Oh no — pwned!" with details about what and when your account was potentially compromised further down the page.

1. Enter email address in box on this page: https://haveibeenpwned.com/
2: Click on "pwned?"
3: Read result.

It seems a no-brainer to me to at least see what the website says, no passwords or ANY other information is required, simply an email address... and again, if in doubt about the validity of the person running the website see:
https://haveibeenpwned.com/About

I really don't think i have anything further to say in this thread... just threw this out there in the hope it might help but i seem to be confusing things ;)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:16 pm 

I don't think that you are confusing things at all Doddie and I appreciate your posting the site. :)

I will admit that I can't see where a third party site being compromised puts my actual email account in danger but I absolutely can understand why such a site being hit could easily increase my spam emails. In my case I was positive on one site but that site does not have my actual email account info, just the address. Mayhaps I'm missing something but would think that the only way the actual security of my email account would be if the email provider were to be compromised.

Personally I think this is quite interesting and, possibly, worthy of its own thread. Possibly a thread dedicated to email security with reference to https://haveibeenpwned.com made a 'sticky' where it is always easily accessible within the topic. Personally I think that it looks like a good tool just to see where you stand.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:39 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I will admit that I can't see where a third party site being compromised puts my actual email account in danger but I absolutely can understand why such a site being hit could easily increase my spam emails.

It may not put our accounts in danger because we (hopefully) have separate passwords for browsing and email but an awful lot of users who use the same password for everything there is a huge risk... more so if a website uses email validation as part of its signup process... could be wrong but doesn't CH potentially use this method, i.e email/password/email verification?

Point being, if users use the same email address and especially **password** for everything and signed up to a website that as part of the authentication process that website <enter service> is then hacked, not only is the email address compromised, but so is the email password.

Not entirely sure that makes sense but i hope you see where the potential lies.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:50 pm 
welcoming committee

I'm not at all convinced I'm getting my point across so let me put it this way...

I have a gmail account that i can't remember the last time i used, i just ran it through the Have I Been Pawned website and this is what i see:
Quote:
Breaches you were pwned in

A "breach" is an incident where a site's data has been illegally accessed by hackers and then released publicly. Review the types of data that were compromised (email addresses, passwords, credit cards etc.) and take appropriate action, such as changing passwords.
Dailymotion logo

Dailymotion: In October 2016, the video sharing platform Dailymotion suffered a data breach. The attack led to the exposure of more than 85 million user accounts and included email addresses, usernames and bcrypt hashes of passwords.

Compromised data: Email addresses, Passwords, Usernames

"Compromised data: Email addresses, Passwords, Usernames"

Anyone hell bent on getting into any email account is going to start with the obvious... i have an email address, i have a password that was used on a website... lets try the two together to access their email account.

What else may follow is pretty obvious to me.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:17 pm 

I totally agree that, if the same password is used for everything, there is a great risk. Another point as to where an email security topic may be useful. ;) Using the same password for everything is foolish but I understand that many do exactly that.

To be honest I don't really know how much risk is involved with CH. While it does have the option to allow self registration via email verification that is not the current case. Currently a registration requires an admin approval and the IP/email is checked against black lists. Still, if hacked, I would assume that user log in info would be compromised but am not really so sure. This site is actually pretty well protected. First, to get user info, the data base would need to be hacked. This is hard to do as the data base is encrypted along with the fact that it cannot be accessed from an outside source, only via an access request from a call made from the same server that holds the site. But that is beside the point. ;)

Yes, what you say makes sense. :)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:36 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I totally agree that, if the same password is used for everything, there is a great risk. Another point as to where an email security topic may be useful. ;) Using the same password for everything is foolish but I understand that many do exactly that.

To be honest I don't really know how much risk is involved with CH. While it does have the option to allow self registration via email verification that is not the current case. Currently a registration requires an admin approval and the IP/email is checked against black lists. Still, if hacked, I would assume that user log in info would be compromised but am not really so sure. This site is actually pretty well protected. First, to get user info, the data base would need to be hacked. This is hard to do as the data base is encrypted along with the fact that it cannot be accessed from an outside source, only via an access request from a call made from the same server that holds the site. But that is beside the point. ;)

Yes, what you say makes sense. :)

To be honest CH is at the bottom of my list of sites i worry about... no offence intended but the user base is very low (i like that) and it's a pretty close knit 'society' so i presume if posts started to appear by any user that were out of character red flags would be waving all over the place and measures taken to remedy the abused account :)

FWIW, I'm not sure how many posts you'd get in an email security thread, my guess would be not many unless things went south with a particular ISP or email provider... for most people these days it appears that email should just work, especially if they are web based.

An "advisory" thread about how to stay safe online might be more useful but again until things go 'south' i doubt there would be much activity.

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)