Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:44 am 
welcoming committee

A buddy of mine in Calif is having problems with Office 2007 after upgrading to Windows 10. I told him I would seek help for him on CH.

Here is what he told me:
"Office 2007 loads/installs all right. But when I receive an e-mail, file, attachments, etc that requires Office to open/read it, Windows 10 sends a message that it can't open it because I don't have Office. If I copy the file to disk, go find Office 2007 manually, I can then open and read it."

Any help for him would be appreciated. I'm not using Windows 10, so I can't help him directly.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:02 am 
welcoming committee

Lengthy discussion here. He's not alone.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... f4f?auth=1

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:12 am 
Fearless Leader

Honestly? He should upgrade. 2007 is simply too old.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:16 am 
welcoming committee

chasbox wrote:
Lengthy discussion here. He's not alone.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... f4f?auth=1

Yea, I had already sent him that......no answer contained therein. It is the usual Microsoft advertisement to upgrade.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:29 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Honestly? He should upgrade. 2007 is simply too old.

Patty, some of us older fellows don't want to upgrade (me included). 2007 is more than sufficient, and I can now almost use the program ribbons in my sleep. Microsoft promised that 2007 would work under Windows 10, so honestly it should.

BTW, I just ordered my new 'screaming' (for me) Velocity Micro desktop.......I'm getting Win 7 Pro installed. And then as Pete suggested, I will later start doing image swaps to play around with 10 to see how I like it and how well it plays with MY applications. But if I have to keep upgrading all my applications (ones that I like and am accustom to), then I know I'm not going to go to Win 10.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:43 am 
Fearless Leader

I understand. I wasn't aware that Microsoft had promised 2007 would work on Windows 10, I thought 2010 was the earliest, even on Windows 8. But you know me, BB, I'm all about security. Programs that are nearly a decade old just weren't written for the current security landscape.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:58 am 

I have the 2007 version on here and used it when the computer was running Windows 8. I've since gone to the subscription 365 now but haven't taken the 2007 version off.

I'm sure I used it on 10 before I got my subscription, the only reason I was using 2007 was because my version of Office 2010 was already installed on the other 3 computers in the house and when I got this Notebook I needed Office so used my copy of 2007.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:03 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
I understand. I wasn't aware that Microsoft had promised 2007 would work on Windows 10, I thought 2010 was the earliest, even on Windows 8. But you know me, BB, I'm all about security. Programs that are nearly a decade old just weren't written for the current security landscape.

Thanks Patty. I know and appreciate your knowledge and commitment to security. I take precautions, but certainly not to the extent that you, Pete and Acadia do.

In the reference cited above by chasbox, the Microsoft engineers and support staff readily admit that Office 2007 works with Win 10. Of course, in their 2nd breath they suggest that you could upgrade to Office 365.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:06 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Joan. Any idea why my friend in Calif is having problems with 2007 and Win 10? I keep telling him it must be something in the water out there.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan, I have another quick question after reading that you have a Notebook that appears to be running Win 10. I also have one - a Toshiba that's about 6 years old. I used it when I was traveling, but now it's just laying around. Of course, it came with the Win 7 Starter OS, which Microsoft says can be upgraded (free) to Win 10 Home. I'm thinking about doing that simply as a means to start playing with win 10.

Do you think that will work, or be more trouble than it's worth?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:26 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Can't say for sure but the issue sounds like a registry problem to me. I would uninstall Office and re-install.

Might also try 'Open with...' and associate with the proper Office component.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:17 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Thanks, Joan. Any idea why my friend in Calif is having problems with 2007 and Win 10? I keep telling him it must be something in the water out there.

Sorry I can't say as I don't know what his set up is as a lot of things could effect how it runs on his machine.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:27 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Joan, I have another quick question after reading that you have a Notebook that appears to be running Win 10. I also have one - a Toshiba that's about 6 years old. I used it when I was traveling, but now it's just laying around. Of course, it came with the Win 7 Starter OS, which Microsoft says can be upgraded (free) to Win 10 Home. I'm thinking about doing that simply as a means to start playing with win 10.

Do you think that will work, or be more trouble than it's worth?

My machine is not as old as that and it came with Windows 8.

If your machine is capable of running 10 I'd go for it, I know my desktop machine can't be upgraded it's not compatible.
That machine is a good few years old so I wasn't surprised.

If it's a machine you haven't been using what have you got to lose by upgrading, at least you'll have an idea of what 10 is like, that way you'll know what to expect when you upgrade your new machine.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan, how did you find out that your desktop was not compatible with Win 10? Is there a compatibility check that I can run, like they had in going from Vista to Win 7?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:08 pm 

I'm trying to think now, but I think it was an update that came through that put an icon in the taskbar where you could reserve your copy of 10.

This is going back to when it was first released so I'm a bit sketchy on the details. After the icon appeared it obviously did a check of the machine. Hubby's laptop and desktop were both capable of running it, even though he hasn't done the upgrade yet deciding he wasn't going to bother.

I'd been in the Insider Program and can't remember if I just let the machine do the upgrade or if I downloaded the latest version and clean installed, I think though I upgraded.

You say that the machine can be upgraded, was it the machine itself that gave you the message, if so you should be good to go.

My desktop gave a message that it wasn't compatible, I think it was the CPU that failed the test. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:25 pm 
Fearless Leader

bbarry wrote:
Thanks Patty. I know and appreciate your knowledge and commitment to security. I take precautions, but certainly not to the extent that you, Pete and Acadia do.

Ha! I don't do security anywhere near what Peter and Acadia do! (Just so you know.) My security is simple, pretty much the same as Jay's: Windows Defender (built in), paid version of Malwarebytes, keep my software up to date, including Windows, have multiple backups. Other than that, I sit behind a router.

That's all I need, all I have ever needed, and is all I recommend to my clients and forum members. I revise my strategy as I feel it is necessary. For instance, I never used to use the paid version of Malwarebytes. Now I do, and I recommend it as well. Should I ever feel more is needed, I will do it and recommend it. I am beginning to want biometrics as a replacement for passwords, as I have mentioned here.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:30 pm 
Fearless Leader

Have your friend try a repair of Office. You do that from Programs and Features.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:04 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
............. I sit behind a router.

I wish everyone did! Most people think of a router as just a way to connect multiple systems and adding wireless. In my mind a router is part of security as a decent one will include a hardware firewall.

It is often forgotten that the software firewall built in to Windows is only for outgoing traffic. The hardware firewall in a router will add incoming traffic.

Even if a person only has one system I still recommend that they use a router with a hardware firewall.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:04 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
MacDuffie wrote:

I wish everyone did! Most people think of a router as just a way to connect multiple systems and adding wireless. In my mind a router is part of security as a decent one will include a hardware firewall.

It is often forgotten that the software firewall built in to Windows is only for outgoing traffic. The hardware firewall in a router will add incoming traffic.

Even if a person only has one system I still recommend that they use a router with a hardware firewall.

Jay, how can I tell if my router has a hardware firewall?

I have a home wifi system with a rather old router (Microsoft MN-700 Wireless-G Base Station). It has and still is serving me well, and it has never failed me. In order to connect to my wifi, a person must enter a 26 character WEP/WPA code. Additionally, to access the Base Station Management Tool, I must enter a password.

Also, you said that the Windows Firewall blocks only outgoing traffic. I did not know that; in, fact I thought just the opposite, Microsoft's literature specifically states that this Firewall blocks all inbound connections, except those you specifically allow. What am I missing here?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:14 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
bbarry wrote:

Ha! I don't do security anywhere near what Peter and Acadia do! (Just so you know.) My security is simple, pretty much the same as Jay's: Windows Defender (built in), paid version of Malwarebytes, keep my software up to date, including Windows, have multiple backups. Other than that, I sit behind a router.

That's all I need, all I have ever needed, and is all I recommend to my clients and forum members. I revise my strategy as I feel it is necessary. For instance, I never used to use the paid version of Malwarebytes. Now I do, and I recommend it as well. Should I ever feel more is needed, I will do it and recommend it. I am beginning to want biometrics as a replacement for passwords, as I have mentioned here.

Hi Patty

Biometrics has a downside to be aware of. I have a Thinkpad X61 sitting on the shelf gathering dust, as it is toast. What failed? The biometrics. I just simply can't get into the thing, and to fix it means replacing the mother board. On my latest thinkpad, I skipped that.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:20 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
bbarry wrote:

Patty, does Microsoft Essentials encompass Windows Defender?

I also sit behind a router, I use Microsoft Essentials, and I use the free edition of Malwarebytes (I am definitely going to upgrade to the paid version on my incoming new computer). I also create multiple backups on multiple external drives. But as you know, I don't always have/use the latest release of all my software (including the OS). Knock on wood, I have never had a virus or an attack of any kind.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:54 am 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
jaylach wrote:
MacDuffie wrote:

I have a home wifi system with a rather old router (Microsoft MN-700 Wireless-G Base Station). It has and still is serving me well, and it has never failed me. In order to connect to my wifi, a person must enter a 26 character WEP/WPA code. Additionally, to access the Base Station Management Tool, I must enter a password.

Also, you said that the Windows Firewall blocks only outgoing traffic. I did not know that; in, fact I thought just the opposite, Microsoft's literature specifically states that this Firewall blocks all inbound connections, except those you specifically allow. What am I missing here?

Windows Firewall does only block in bound and it does a good job.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:10 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
bbarry wrote:

That's all I need, all I have ever needed, and is all I recommend to my clients and forum members.

Well let me explain. First I test against malware that is sent to me. So it's not faith. But also my guiding philosophy is the assumption that if a security program needs a decision from what happens if I make the wrong decision. And our setup allows if you do make a wrong decision, I am still protected. Also while I can say anything bad about what you are running, it's based on detection of the malware. If they miss you are in trouble. One of the reasons I dismiss warning about I should use more recent versions of certain office software is security, is even if I get an infected document, and even if Emsisoft should miss it, I am not going to be infected, period. Tried and proven.

Pete

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:04 pm 
Fearless Leader

I totally understand, Pete. Wasn't saying, or didn't mean to imply, what you were doing was wrong or inappropriate. I should have added that what you do with computers is not what most people do, hence different security requirements. What you do would, however, be overkill for your average consumer. Even me.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:35 pm 

bbarry wrote:

Actually I had it backwards on the incoming/outgoing aspects of Windows Firewall. While checking on this I also learned something, Windows Firewall does both. However it would seem that the default for outgoing is to allow but this can be changed. Here are a couple of links.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... rosecurity

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... rotection/
Keep in mind that setting outgoing protection is completely manual and may be a bit confusing and/or intimidating for a novice user. I know that you are not a novice user but wanted to put in that warning as this site is designed for the novice. That said the second link does a pretty good job of explaining the process with screen shots. To be honest I just scanned through the instructions but it seems that you would change the default for outgoing to block and then set rules to allow specific programs access to the internet. I MAY end up playing with this a bit but doubt that I'll get around to doing so. It just seems too tedious to me to sit here and manually set up firewall exceptions or rules to allow access to all the many programs where it is needed. I MAY try it to see if it will pop up a notice that access has been denied and, if so, if there is an option to always allow. There are probably more programs on your system that need the internet then you realize. Of course your web browsers and email client, if you use an email client as do I. But then there are the little things we never seem to really notice, DO you have any programs set to look for updates, any games that are in any extent web based and use Steam or Battlenet? Do you have Flash set to check for updates? Do you use One Drive? I think that you can see the point. For the normal user I think it much easier and more efficient to just have a firewall protected router.

As to telling if your router has a firewall you could do a search for the specifications for the router or just log in to the router and look for firewall settings.

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)