Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post subject: Office 2013 Released
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:28 pm 
Fearless Leader

Microsoft Office 2013 was released today. It's a beautiful product. Comes in many versions, including the 365 versions, which are online subscriptions. I'll be doing the Office Home Premium, 365 version myself shortly. It includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher and Access - with licenses up to 5 devices. That's $99.99 for an annual subscription, or you can do a $9.99 monthly subscription. Obviously annual is a better deal.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post subject: Re: Office 2013 Released
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:24 pm 
welcoming committee

I'm not sure I get it. Why would anybody want to rent their office software?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 pm 
Fearless Leader

So you have it on any pc you log into? So you get 5 licenses at home, instead of 1? So you get the latest version whenever it comes out? So you don't have to shell out $400 at once? So you have access to your documents anywhere on any device? So you get more programs in the home version (like Outlook, Publisher and Access)?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

MacDuffie wrote:
So you have it on any pc you log into? So you get 5 licenses at home, instead of 1? So you get the latest version whenever it comes out? So you don't have to shell out $400 at once? So you have access to your documents anywhere on any device? So you get more programs in the home version (like Outlook, Publisher and Access)?

All very excellent reasons, in my opinion. There are options to purchase instead of rent, but those options are ultimately more costly for someone with multiple computers that wishes to upgrade to the latest version each release.

Paying an annual amount of US$100 for 5 licenses of what is quite similar to the Office 2010 Professional product is very reasonable. Pay that for 3 years and you still haven't caught up with the cost of the Home & Business version which does not qualify for an upgrade to the next version -- even if you have only 2 computers to install it on -- and doesn't include Publisher or Access (if you need/want them).
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/buy/compare-microsoft-office-products-subscription-plans-FX102898564.aspx

Home & Student is now a single PC license with no upgrade to the next version 3 years down the road.

A really great deal is available for Higher Education (colleges) students, faculty and staff -- 4 years for $79.99 that covers 2 PCs with the same bits as Office 365 Home Permium -- Office 365 University: http://tinyurl.com/axhpk8r

Last year I transitioned from Office Live to Office 365 Personal and pay $6 monthly for a public facing site, a team SharePoint site and single sub-site, Hosted Exchange and Lync. I considered the Office Professional Plus add on at $15 monthly, but will probably go with the Office 365 Home Premium deal instead, depending on what happens with the Professional Plus pricing when 2013 is released to the Personal/Small Business/Enterprise side of Office 365.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:36 pm 
welcoming committee

All good reasons but don't you think that for most stuff the free Google docs will essentially do the same thing. It's available anywhere you log on and although not as full featured most folks don't need all the features anyway. I pretty much think the office suite has reached its peak a few years ago. This stuff with the cloud is nice but can be done other ways. I'm just not sure it's worth moving up a version if you already have an Office suite that's one or two versions back.

Maybe it's me getting old and crotchety but I could probably handle all my document needs with Word 98.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:31 am 
Fearless Leader

I understand, Manny. I have to stay current so that I learn the new programs and can support them. Keeps me young. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:50 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
MacDuffie wrote:
I understand, Manny. I have to stay current so that I learn the new programs and can support them. Keeps me young. ;)

Same reason I bought Windows 8.

I skipped 2010 as to Office but MIGHT look at this one. Not that Office 2007 with Publisher (yes, I do actually use Publisher) can't do everything that I need but just for the reason of being current. I'll have to look at the packages. Mayhaps I'm 'old and crotchety' like Manny but I just don't like the idea of cloud computing, I want the software on my system. Even if there is a local install of just Word, Outlook and Excel I'b be happy. I could live with Publisher still being 2007. Like I said, I'll have to look at the packages.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 am 
Fearless Leader

The software is installed on your system, Jay. You don't have to be connected to the internet to use it.

I'm warming up more and more to cloud computing. It began with eBooks and my Nook. It is easier on my hands to hold the Nook HD, than to hold a book. I've built up quite a library of eBooks over the past several years. I like the idea of not using paper, and not having to continue to add bookshelves. I can keep tons of books on my Nook - or I can archive them to the cloud, and download them again should I desire.

Then I started to download CDs instead of buying them - again, I don't want to have to add more CD racks around the place. At first I did that only with pop tunes, but I have gotten a classical CD or two as download only. So first, I suppose, I got used to digital storage, more than cloud computing. (Of course as I get older I feel more and more like getting rid of "stuff." Paring things down.)

Then I started to see clients whose computers had crashed and who, of course, had no backups. I was happy when people started backing up their photos to Mozy or Carbonite or somewhere. I still have most of them do local backups too. I don't like the idea of storing data in the cloud beyond photos and music and misc. impersonal docs. But I'm finding the idea of software served from the cloud to be quite practical. And in this case, Microsoft has gone quite far to convince us that it is. (Their pricing structure and package structures.) So I'm giving in, bit by bit. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:19 am 
Site Admin

Manny Carvalho wrote:

Maybe it's me getting old and crotchety but I could probably handle all my document needs with Word 98.

Most people could probably get away with using Notepad. :-)

-steve

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:21 am 
welcoming committee

I must say that 9 months ago I purchased a Samsung tablet and I love the ability to read books on it. It's capable of doing Kindle, Nook and a few others. As a consequence I've read quite a few of the classics that I missed out on or forgotten. I'm reading Treasure Island right now and I'm sure I would never have picked that out at the library. So I guess its what strikes your fancy.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 pm 

I'll have to have a look at what the prices are. It was only late last year I bought Home and Student 2010 because it meant I could put it on mine and Johns computer plus his laptop, his client bought that for him.

I got my Windows 8 Notebook and of course wasn't able to use 2010 Office because it was already on 3 machines but I of course had Home & Student 2007 so put that onto my Notebook.

Home & Student versions are enough for us here, as long as it's got Excel, Word and OneNote we're happy.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:31 pm 
Fearless Leader

Manny Carvalho wrote:
All good reasons but don't you think that for most stuff the free Google docs will essentially do the same thing.

Just one more comment, Manny. I would never use Google docs for anything, and I recommend my clients don't either. I don't trust Google for anything. I don't need them combing my documents for key words so they can throw advertising at me, or selling that information to advertisers.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:35 pm 
Fearless Leader

JoanA wrote:
I'll have to have a look at what the prices are.

Joan, I don't think you need to upgrade. You have to realize that it isn't just a hundred bucks you're putting out this year - it means you are committing to spending it every year that you wish to maintain use of the product. You do get a lot for your money in the Office Home Premium 365 package - but if you don't need it, then it is a waste of money.

I need Outlook, for one thing, and my only other option would be Office Home and Business, which cost $250 for the 2010 version, perpetual license; but since I need to keep up with the latest software, I'd be replacing it every time a new version came out. In addition, that package did not include Publisher, which I use, or Access, which I don't, but keep thinking I'd like to. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:24 am 

Thanks Patty, I'll be sticking with what I have at present, maybe in the future I'll have to get the latest but hopefully not for a while yet. ;)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Here's a good article that explains the reasoning behind the move to the subscription model - the loss of revenue due to business not renewing their Software Assurance program which gave them the ability to upgrade for free. Cost cutting dropped this program because business stay with old versions for a good while. They saw no need to pay the cost if they were not going to upgrade.

The subscription model is something that you can't stop paying. It's either pay or don't use the software.

It'll be interesting to see what shakes out five years down the road.

It's an interesting read: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9237222/Why_Microsoft_s_pushing_Office_subscriptions

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:27 pm 
welcoming committee

I've tested 2013 since the beta release, to be honest as i'm not a major user of the office suite (apart from the very basic), I'm guessing I won't use even 10% of the new features.

BUT as patty said, I always keep up to date with the latest releases as I need to for my job.

Certs: CCNA, CCNA:Security, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, MCITP:SA,
MCITP:EMA 2010, MCSE:Server 2008, VTSP5, ITIL V3 Foundation
http://www.michaelriccioni.com

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:05 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I've given up on Office as to keeping up to date. I have everything available in all aspects for Office 2007. A good portion of that I don't use. Most of the customer work that I do is to remove infections ot initially set up a system. I don't need the most current Office for that. I just can't see paying more money for more features that I won't use. ;) As long as I have Word, Excel and Publisher I'm more than good to go. :)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Here's something else to consider in the equation.

Originally, Office 2013 retail purchases where linked to one computer. That is, it wasn't allowed to be transferred to another computer that you owned. No more! It's now possible to transfer it should you want to. MS listened to all the complaints I presume.

Here's Bott's take on it: http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-restores-transfer-rights-for-retail-office-2013-copies-7000012200/

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)