Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 pm 
welcoming committee

I use Access as a relational database for scheduling for my business. My people are listed by initials. So for example were I to add Patty to my data base it would be PM.

Now we go to Outlook. When I add some there I use the format Initials - name. So for Patty it would be PM-PattyMacDuffy. I then have the option of choosing how it is displayed, and of course one of the options is PM-Patty MacDuffy Standard stuff here.

BUT.... one of my new people has the initials ME, so to you use a made up name, I enter ME-Mark Edwards. But here in the display choices I only see -Mark Edwards. To get it in I had to resort to M.E.-Mark Edwards.

Any ideas on why it didn't like the ME.

Pete

PS Both Access and Outlook are 2010 version.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:13 pm 
Fearless Leader

All I can say is that Outlook is not structured to store names in that fashion. It has a full name field, and it sorts it by itself into first name and last name. I'm not sure why you would want to do it the other way. In any case, I am in Outlook 2013, and it lets me type in whatever I wish under File As. Are you talking about the File As field, or are you talking about the Display As field for the email address.

PS: MacDuffie is spelled with an ie at the end. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:31 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
All I can say is that Outlook is not structured to store names in that fashion. It has a full name field, and it sorts it by itself into first name and last name. I'm not sure why you would want to do it the other way. In any case, I am in Outlook 2013, and it lets me type in whatever I wish under File As. Are you talking about the File As field, or are you talking about the Display As field for the email address.

PS: MacDuffie is spelled with an ie at the end. ;)

Hi Patty

Apologies on the spelling. I am talking about the File as field. Actually I went back and looked and most of them also have a - number after the name. Reason for doing it, is looking at the name in Outlook tells someone how it is in access where it is just initials. Initials are helpful as sometimes they have to be "modified" if two people have the same initials.

Strange thing though is out of 39 different entries the ME was the only one that is a problem.

Pete

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:30 pm 
Fearless Leader

That is a strange one, Pete, I must say!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:16 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
That is a strange one, Pete, I must say!

To say the least. I just wondered if there was some reserved word or something. Guess we just chalk it up to... it's a "computer"

Thanks Patty

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)