Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:25 pm 
welcoming committee

I hope this wasn't covered and I missed it but I have this version of Outlook that I purchased separately but at the same time as a retail version of Office Home & Student 2007 for a Vista laptop couple yrs ago & I like this version just fine. The Office Home & Student stated on the back of the box that this could be used on 3 PCs so no problem installing it on a new laptop Windows 8 and activating it. The back of the box for Outlook however does not say for multiple machines so I assume I'd need to 'transfer' the installment from the Vista laptop (is dying) to the Win 8 laptop. Do I have a certain amount of time to do this (using Outlook on both machines) without being attacked as pirating? Or must I call MS to talk to a real person for their approval first?

And maybe the biggest question is, will I be able to install a 2007 Outlook version to Windows 8 and will it work on this Windows 8 laptop as an installed program (tile) by itself instead of it combining itself with the Mail tile? There are separate tiles for the Office Home & Student program I installed on the Windows 8 machine so I would hope Outlook would have its own tile as well.

If it weren't for all the saved Outlook info I need to transfer to the new laptop, I'd probably look for a different solution but Outlook has all my contacts, addresses, cell #s, you name it. I don't think the Open Source Office has anything I could transfer all this info to so that's why I am asking.

I hope this makes sense (don't hesitate to ask for clarification) and hope someone can help............Thanks! Katy (Sorry for my absense (missed you all), now with retirement I hope to get back to upgrading my knowledge here again!! I feel as though I'm stuck in the Vista world.)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:52 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
The 2007 Outlook should install just fine in Win 8 with its own tile. I'm running it on my Win 8 laptop.

By rights you should uninstall Outlook from the Vista machine and then install on the Win 8 system. I doubt that the FBI would show up at your door if you ran both for a day or two to make sure everything is OK but technically it is wrong. I would be totally amazed if you called MS and were told to go ahead and run on both for a while...

Patty and/or others will do a better job of describing how to port all your mail, contacts and accounts from the old install to the new. For me personal usage I just copy the folder that holds the .pst file to the new system but I'm not all that up on this as I've only been using Outlook for less than a year and have only had to port things once.

And welcome back! :) For the record I see nothing wrong with Vista, I never had an issue when I was running it on a 2GHz. AMD processor with just 1GB of memory. Myself, I sort of see Vista and Win 8 as equal but not. 8 Will run faster on a system than Vista but neither are the best that MS has offered. In my humble opinion the best two versions of Windows as to stability and reliability are Win 2000 and Win 7 with 7 being the better of the two. LOL! No, I'm not saying to run out and try to find Win 2000 but until Win 7 I did consider it the best MS put out.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:20 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Jay on all counts! :) by running the same version of Outlook on both machines, I was hoping I'd have a couple of days to do the move and that's it, then remove it from vista. The speed of the windows 8 machine is greater by far but I was thinking of just moving the .pst folder from my latest backup (my backups are just folders copied to an external drive) but Windows 8 doesn't even look like Vista so I don't know how to 'place the folder' into the windows 8 machine.

Is there a slick way to do this 'porting', like maybe with a cable which I can't think of the name of right now, is there a place on the windows 8 machine where I could initiate this move or port? Or would you know of a link you could send me to 'easily' port the contacts, folders, everything from the Vista machine Outlook to the Windows 8 machine once the program is installed? If it's slick and smooth, I'd only need the same Outlook program on both machines for a day or 2, until I can actually 'use' Outlook on Win 8 easily and make sure they look and contain the same info. I especially count on the reminders window in Outlook in vista, so maybe I could take snipping tool shots of it to make sure I get everything over.

I feel the same as you about Vista, I like it just fine but I had to get the new laptop because the old is dying and it came with Win 8 which I knew I'd have to invest in eventually. Outlook to Win 8 is the last step; the last 2 times I've booted up vista, there have been errors after a windows update and had to resort to an earlier restore point, it just can't handle it anymore. ;)

Any ideas?? :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:50 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
There are cables designed for transfers but you should not need such. There IS Windows Easy Transfer for porting system settings along with data but I do not normally use it so I will leave detailed usage to others.

I'm really sorry but I have made a conscious effort to not stay current any longer. One might well say that I have burned out a bit and just want to throw out casual thoughts and ideas. I cannot help you with the fine points of this transition, others will have to do that.

Just as a thought on your Vista system and the updates... Why not just disallow (hide) the update that causes the issue? If it is just a case of a certain update wreaking havoc, don't do the update.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Whenever I am transferring from an old install of Outlook to a new one I always do an export from within Outlook, this creates a new.pst file that I copy over to the machine with the new install and then do an Import from within Outlook. You can move you present .pst to the new machine and point Outlook to it, but I always like the export/import as it leaves the original Outlook.pst file untouched so if there is an issue with the import I can always export again. I never have had to do it twice as the importing has always worked for me.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:51 pm 
Fearless Leader

The main thing to realize, Katy, is that Outlook keeps all of its data in a single file. Contact, Calender, Email, Notes and all. It's just one file. So porting is a matter of copying one file from one machine to another. It's not the multiple actions that you seem to think it will take. Nothing is easier to move to a new computer than Outlook.

That said, I would still upgrade to Office 2013. Outlook 2007 is 6, going on 7 years old. That's too old an email program to be using, just security-wise. But even if you do upgrade to 2013, you still port the single file the same way.

When you're ready to do the move, come back and get some specific instructions. There are a couple of things to watch out for - nothing difficult, but things you should know. The move is made easier in 2010 and 2013 versions, but it is essentially the same procedure in 2007.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:48 pm 
welcoming committee

[quote="MacDuffie"]

That said, I would still upgrade to Office 2013. Outlook 2007 is 6, going on 7 years old. That's too old an email program to be using, just security-wise. But even if you do upgrade to 2013, you still port the single file the same way.quote]

I am seriously considering this Patty, upgrading to Office 2013. But is it possible to upgrade to the Office 2013 which contains Outlook as well as Excel Word, etc. (link below) if what I have now are 2 separate CDs, one is student version of Excel, Word, etc and the other is Outlook by itself?

I've seen at NewEgg just now that they sell Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 Product Key Card; Is that how Office is sold now, using a key card? Dumb question I know :(. I prefer a dvd/cd package. This is the link (some people reviewing that they had trouble installing it on a new laptop):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416580&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Business+%26+Finance-_-N82E16832416580&gclid=CNvc-Prv-LkCFWJlMgod-B8Aqw.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:38 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
There are cables designed for transfers but you should not need such. There IS Windows Easy Transfer for porting system settings along with data but I do not normally use it so I will leave detailed usage to others.

I'm really sorry but I have made a conscious effort to not stay current any longer. One might well say that I have burned out a bit and just want to throw out casual thoughts and ideas. I cannot help you with the fine points of this transition, others will have to do that.

Just as a thought on your Vista system and the updates... Why not just disallow (hide) the update that causes the issue? If it is just a case of a certain update wreaking havoc, don't do the update.

Thanks Jay; it only happens after an update and once I go through the restore point process, the updates install again and then it's fine. But I've got other problems wrong with this laptop, long story. Once I get the Outlook on the win 8 machine, I can safely erase and reinstall this Vista from the restore partition. This is a Dell, the win 8 is an HP.

I am hoping to learn more about win 8 but probably won't be any help to anyone else for quite a while, I wish they had not made such a drastic change. I know I can use the old version tile but I'd really like to know how that tile business works and become more proficient at 'how to see the Explore view' and where did I see that again ;).

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:48 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks David, yes that's how I've always moved the .pst file. So far I haven't been able to find where in win 8 I can find the Explore view so I know 'where' to place the .pst file. But it sounds like Patty has a method I would find very helpful, I just need to find an Office 2013 to buy. I don't mind buying a newer version for a change.

And Thanks Patty for the suggestion about Office 2013 and once I've got it, I'll contact you again on the move of the Outlook info from the old machine. In searching I see there is a 2013 and a 365 version which sounded good except I don't know if I want to pay $100 annually. I use Outlook tremendously and Excel somewhat, just not all the programs as often. But I do want my old Outlook to talk to the new Outlook.

Thanks all for your help, I just don't know what I'd do without you all!!!!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:29 pm 
Fearless Leader

It's a much better value to go with Office 365 Home version. You get Outlook, you get Publisher and Access, in addition to Powerpoint, Excel, Word and OneNote. Yes, it's a hundred bucks a year, but otherwise you would pay $250 to get a perpetual license to Office Home and Business in order to get Outlook. Plus, with Office 365, as long as your subscription is current, you always get the latest version.

I would copy my .pst file over to a folder in My Documents. Create a folder and call it Outlook, or Outlook files. Then install Office 2013. It actually doesn't matter if you've installed Office already, but don't open Outlook until you have copied the .pst file into this folder. Copy your email account settings (server settings, etc.) from the old machine, and know your email password.

Now when you open Outlook, it will ask you to set up an email account first thing (as usual). If it is a very common domain, like gmail or live.com, maybe even Comcast, you may be able to have it automatically find the settings, but I would have them copied anyway. So set up the email, either automatically or manually. You'll reach a page during setup where you have the option to begin a new .pst file, or to open an existing Outlook file. Open an existing Outlook file, and point it to My Documents to your Outlook folder. That's really all there is to it.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:56 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks so much all!! Once I get my Office delivery and go through the procedure Patty wrote up and it's safely on the new laptop, I can remove the old laptop version. Thanks Again!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:20 pm 
Fearless Leader

You also get 5 licenses for devices in the home - so you can put Office 2013 on that old laptop too. :) You can't do that with the Home & Business license (or Home and Student license) anymore. Those are now single license programs.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:57 pm 

I think the 2010 version was the last to be a 3 license wasn't it Patty ?
I know we bought the 2010 version of Home and Student when John got his Laptop so it was put onto that, his desktop and my desktop, so when I got my Asus Notebook I had to put a copy of my 2007 version of Home and Student and I still have a couple of licenses I could use of that if we got anything else here.
To be honest though we only use Excel and occasionally Word so Home and Student suits us, I even have a retail copy of 2001 Excel here. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:25 pm 
Fearless Leader

Yes, that's correct, Joan.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)