Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:39 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I do OK with Excel 2007 but seem to have run in to an issue. I have a large sheet that is a library to all my movies on my media system. I won't go in to details but had cause to do a clean install on that system.

The issue: The Excel sheet looks for an external drive E: as the drive for all the hyperlinks but that drive now shows as F:; of course none of the hyperlinks now work.

Yes, I know that I could just change the drive letter for this external drive back to E: which is what I did when I first set up my media system. The problem was that after changing the drive letter some software would not install such as the Game Fable, XP Mode and some others. The most common error was that there was an invalid drive. Actually I'm still having an issue with XP Mode but, since I have the other installs done, don't really need it. This is a clean install so I can't see an infection being involved. I even have a hunch that I MIGHT be able to get XP Mode to install if I were to right click on the Virtual PC and XP Mode installers and select to run as admin... might just try that to see....

I see two solutions... Ok, three.
  1. Of course I could go through the sheet and edit all hyperlinks to point to the proper drive. With almost 400 listings I'd rather not go this route.
  2. Figure out a way to globally change E: to F: throughout the sheet. This is what I'd prefer to do but find and replace will not find the E: references. Quite possible that I'm doing the find and replace wrong for this aspect.
  3. Finish getting the 'problem' software packages installed and then do a system image and then change the drive letter of the external drive from F: back to E:. This worries me a bit even though it may be the easiest solution. Although, if it does break the 'problem' installs I would have the image to go back.

Any ideas as to how to best go about this?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:16 am 
Site Admin

How are you performing option 2? That's the solution I'd be pursuing.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:54 am 

I tried using 'Replace' finding E: and replacing with F: but it does not fine any E: references. My guess is that it is only searching actual cell content.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

Are these hyperlinks within cells, defined as hyperlinks or connections to an external workbook on E:?
How are the hyperlinks defined?
You might try saving the XLS file as HTM and then editing the HTML in Notepad, before opening it back up in Excel and saving as XLS.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:11 pm 

All hyperlinks are set up by right clicking on a cell and selecting to add hyperlink. They are all links to videos on an external drive.

I'll try the HTML save and see what happens. If the links show as normal links I can use find/replace via Expressions Web.

Worked like a charm! :) Saved the sheet in HTML format and used Expressions Web to edit. It would appear that the reason that I could not replace E: with F: directly in Excel is that Excel stores the link as relative (../../video/title). I just replaced all ../../video with F:/video.

Thanks for the insight. :)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

Creative workarounds. :-) Glad to have helped.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:37 am 

To be totally honest I had forgotten that an Excel sheet could be saved as a web page.

There was one final step, that being to convert back to Excels .xlsx format. I just right clicked on the .htm file and selected to open the file type one time with Excel. Then I just saved again as an Excel 2007 sheet (.xlsx).

Everything works fine with videos opening in either Media Player or Media Player Classic depending on the file type. Actually everything is in Media Center libraries which works but I like the organization on my sheet as Media Center just goes by alphabet.

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)