Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post subject: Re: Life is funny
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:59 am 
welcoming committee

In case anyone is interested, especially you Smitty, I purchased the new Instant Recovery a couple of days ago. So far it has worked perfectly. For anyone who has used the old FirstDefense there will be no learning curve at all as all of the screens and menus are identical. Also they appear to have fixed a few minor bugs. These bugs never prevented me from using FD because recovery would ALWAYS still work. I've tested the reincarnated IR every way that I can think of. In my opinion Raxco has made a nearly perfect program even better.

Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:30 am 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
In case anyone is interested, especially you Smitty, I purchased the new Instant Recovery a couple of days ago. So far it has worked perfectly. For anyone who has used the old FirstDefense there will be no learning curve at all as all of the screens and menus are identical.

Also they appear to have fixed a few minor bugs. These bugs never prevented me from using FD because recovery would ALWAYS still work. I've tested the reincarnated IR every way that I can think of. In my opinion Raxco has made a nearly perfect program even better.

Acadia

Other than supporting Raxco ($$), what have you gained with IR over what you had in FD?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:34 am 
welcoming committee

Smitty wrote:
Other than supporting Raxco ($$), what have you gained with IR over what you had in FD?

Smitty, if you are a member of Wilders you get a 50% discount for an upgrade from the old FD: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=358213

I'm on the phone right now, will give you more details later.

Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:48 am 
welcoming committee

Ok, Smitty, here goes (I was on the phone with Peter2150 and just take a guess what we were talking about!)

My opinion: If you are happy with FD and you already did the hack to get it to work on Win7, then I see no reason to upgrade to the new IR. I upgraded because I had a problem with creating new Archives. Updating them was never a problem but creating new ones became a three-step process instead of the simple one-step as it was on WinXP.

Yes, the new IR does seem to be more secure in that each Snapshot now seems to be completely and truly isolated from all the others, I tested it. But I have so many other security programs on my system that was never a real issue for me, I still felt protected: there was no way a "baddie" would jump from one snapshot to another if it could not even land on my Primary to get started. Again, the main reason I bought IR was to greatly speed up my creation of new Archvies but if creating new Archives is still a simple one-step process for you then I see no real reason to upgrade.

Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:12 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:

Yes, the new IR does seem to be more secure in that each Snapshot now seems to be completely and truly isolated from all the others, I tested it. But I have so many other security programs on my system that was never a real issue for me, I still felt protected: there was no way a "baddie" would jump from one snapshot to another if it could not even land on my Primary to get started. Again, the main reason I bought IR was to greatly speed up my creation of new Archvies but if creating new Archives is still a simple one-step process for you then I see no real reason to upgrade.

Acadia

I didn't know FD had a weakness that baddies could jump from a snapshot (primary) to another snapshot (secondary).
How about to and amongst archives? Wouldn't this be a good reason to go to IR for added security?
Or am I being a little too paranoid?

Yes, I do belong to Wilders. I did a little test with the discount code and it did take 50% off and as I closed
out, it said "before you go, take 20% off" which came off the annual maintenance fee...whole thing came to around $46 for the two.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Smitty wrote:
I didn't know FD had a weakness that baddies could jump from a snapshot (primary) to another snapshot (secondary).
How about to and amongst archives? Wouldn't this be a good reason to go to IR for added security?

Yes, I do belong to Wilders. I did a little test with the discount code and it did take 50% off and as I closed
out, it said "before you go, take 20% off" which came off the annual maintenance fee...whole thing came to around $46 for the two.

Smitty, first, I will try to answer best I can; second, no, you are not being too paranoid. Yes, FD had some weaknesses in keeping the Snapshots completely invisible from one another which was a problem because after all, one of the concrete foundations that the original FD was keeping these Snapshots completely seperate. I discovered one, probably minor, and I have a feeling others discovered more also probably minor because I NEVER heard of a baddie jumping around. Also having your system protected by REAL security programs would have killed anything happening.

No, I cannot imagine how a baddie could jump into an Archive. If you know and understand how the old FD works (and I believe that you definitely do) then it would only be possible if you UPDATED that Archive with an infected Primary.

As for the "added security", sure it is now there but if you have your system adequately protected already then I still consider it a mute point. No reason to upgrade unless you, 1. like having the latest version, 2. are having problems with the very old original.

Smitty the long and short of it: if you are happy with FD then I see no reason to switch, with minor adjustments they are practically the same thing. (But I sure do miss my croaking froggie :cry5: )

Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Smitty wrote:

No, I cannot imagine how a baddie could jump into an Archive. If you know and understand how the old FD works (and I believe that you definitely do) then it would only be possible if you UPDATED that Archive with an infected Primary.

Acadia

You're right. All the snapshots and archives are only as clean as the source.
I've never had any problems with FD since getting the final version.

Thanks

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:36 pm 
welcoming committee

UPDATE. There really has been a resurrection: FirstDefense is alive and well in InstantRestore. I purchased a license (actually two) for InstantRestore (for those of you who already own a license for the original FirstDefense you can get a 50% discount). This bugger is working perfectly, I installed it on January 7.

For those of you who are using the original FirstDefense and are happy with it, I see no real reason to switch unless you simply want the latest. Raxco tech support has been exemplary (those who are familiar with Raxco will not be surprised). I had a minor issue that even existed with the original FirstDefense and they fixed it.

This program is NOT for those seeking something easy to use. The underlining tech makes it very reliable but the functioning that you actually deal with is somewhat complex.

My all-time favorite program ever is back. :bow7:

Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:29 pm 
welcoming committee

I could no longer resist so I bought and installed Instant Recovery and retired my 9 1/2 year old FDISR.
(Back in July 2004, FDISR and Perfect Disk was a $45 package.)

Didn't need to do it but now at least I'm set for any updates.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:09 pm 
welcoming committee

Smitty wrote:
I could no longer resist so I bought and installed Instant Recovery and retired my 9 1/2 year old FDISR.
(Back in July 2004, FDISR and Perfect Disk was a $45 package.)

Didn't need to do it but now at least I'm set for any updates.

Well done. Any support we give them helps us in the long run.

Pete

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)