Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)

Post subject: Spread sheet
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:57 pm 
welcoming committee

In MS Excel Student 2007, how do I get the 1st row to stay put so that all the remaining rows
will scroll under it?

Edit: No need to reply, I found out, in the view tab, how to do the freeze thing.

Post subject: Re: Spread sheet
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:52 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Good detective work to find your own solution. :)

Yes the freeze option will do the trick and is a handy tool. I use it on the top row of the sheet I have for my movie library.

You can do the same thing with the first column of a sheet.

LOL! I thought that I was the only one still using Office 2007. ;) I just can't find a good reason to switch as 2007 does all I need and a lot more. I have the Ultimate version with Publisher. All I really use are Word, Excel and Publisher. I keep telling myself that I should use One Note but never do. If I were still repairing systems I would keep current with Office but, since I rarely do repairs anymore, I just don't see the need.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:49 am 

I still use 2007 Student version of Office on this Windows 8 Notebook. I have the 2010 version of it as well but as I had it installed on 3 systems couldn't use it but remembered I had the 2007 so used that on here.

You should give OneNote a try Jay, I use it all the time and find it very useful for keeping things, that and Excel are the only parts I use from Office with the occasional use of Word so the Home & Student versions suited us.

I can't see us upgrading for quite a while yet like you these versions do all we need.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:52 am 
welcoming committee

I have Office 2007 Home & Student but didn't install it on the new computer. Libre Office is installed instead. I haven't used it much yet but word documents created in Office 2007 open OK in it, including docx. Libre also opens documents containing some quite complicated tables that were created in MS Word 2007 and the table layout doesn't get changed. That was where I found the free (or donation) Office suites fell down when I tried them before. A table created in Microsoft Office could be all over the place if opened in anything else. Not so with Libre Office 4.2.5 though. It's probably going to be a 'keeper' unless I come across something it won't do.

I've heard lots about spread sheets being useful and have a friend who told me he didn't how I got through life without them! :) Well, I seem to have done OK so far but I'm sure I'd wonder how if I took the time/trouble to learn how to use one. I'm not as bad as another friend who doesn't have a computer or even a phone of any kind. I often wonder how he manages but strangely, he's the most conversational, happy and outgoing bloke I know. :)

Maybe worth a mention is a program called 'Jarte' It uses Windows WordPad as a basis and adds functions to it. I've found Jarte can be tailored to make an excellent Notepad replacement with a spell-checker. Used it for a good time now.

Board index » Technical Forums » Programs (Applications)