Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:26 pm 
welcoming committee

Patty, a sincere question here, not to criticize. What kind of RAID are you using, the "speed you up" type or the "backup" type? If it is speed, all you need now days is a solid-state-drive. If it is backup, there are now so many excellent backup programs that, in my opinion, the backup RAID simply is not needed. But I must confess that I have never used any RAID, so maybe I do not know everything.
Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:46 pm 
welcoming committee

That is really bizarre. I did of lot of my early testing on Raid 0 setups. Never had a failure. The raid 0 was set up by velocity Micro and the told me just treat it like on big C drive. That's what I did and nary a problem

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:48 pm 
welcoming committee

it's the gamers that go for speed. I've seen system by VM that had 3 SSD's in a raid 0 configuration Nuts!

Patty have you considered breaking the raid 1 and going with 2 drives you can image?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
it's the gamers that go for speed. I've seen system by VM that had 3 SSD's in a raid 0 configuration Nuts!

GOOD GRIEF. Those systems must cost at least $6000! Of course if they are rich kids, mommy and daddy will pay for it. If, on the other hand, it is an adult: get a life!

Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:06 pm 
Fearless Leader

Haven't had any RAID issues in years, so I suspect everyone has outgrown those. ;)

Acadia, I've got the "backup" type - a mirror. No, Peter, never thought about, nor would I consider, breaking my RAID into two drives. Love the setup I have. I had to replace a drive just a couple of months ago. No problem - just pulled out the failing drive, popped in a replacement, and away the machine went, rebuilding the RAID while I was still able to use the computer. Just love it.

We are in an era of low quality hardware. Hard drives fail far more often than they used to. As I've mentioned, and as I tell my clients, it's not a matter of if your hard drive will fail, it is a matter of when. A mirror is not a backup, nor would a backup replace it. A backup is its own thing. RAID mirror protects you from single hard drive failure, and that is all it does. I just happen to like that.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Peter2150 wrote:

GOOD GRIEF. Those systems must cost at least $6000! Of course if they are rich kids, mommy and daddy will pay for it. If, on the other hand, it is an adult: get a life!

Acadia

check this out.

http://www.velocitymicro.com/rennseat-p ... hp?iid=322

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:31 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
We are in an era of low quality hardware. Hard drives fail far more often than they used to. As I've mentioned, and as I tell my clients, it's not a matter of if your hard drive will fail, it is a matter of when. A mirror is not a backup, nor would a backup replace it. A backup is its own thing. RAID mirror protects you from single hard drive failure, and that is all it does. I just happen to like that.

Hmm. We must be talking different hard drives. Last two VM machines lasted 6 years. Hard drives still going strong. Current VM desktops 2+years Hard drives are fine. Had a ThinkPad laptop that went 5 years. Security chip failed. Current Lenovo think pad running fine. Had a gaming Sagar laptop 3 internal drives. Machine failed due to mother board failure after 4 years, hard drives were fine.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter: good grief, prices must have dropped even more that I had imagined, I hope the quality has kept up.

Patty: "low quality hardware" I absolutely agree with for mechanical hard drives. Some solid state hard drives now come with a 10 year guarantee. Many of them, even the lesser quality, come with 5 year guarantees.

Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:51 pm 
Fearless Leader

Yes, you're right, Acadia.

Peter, you haven't had the huge sampling of computers and hard drives that I have encountered in my business over the years. Many hard drive failures in the first year or two.

That said, my hard drives have lasted a very long time. The one I just replaced had been going for 7 years, and I only replaced it because it was showing signs of failure, not that it had failed. I attribute the longevity of my drives, and my computers to excellent UPS'es with voltage regulation. Built them myself too. However, people who go to big-box stores and pick up computers don't have the same experiences you and I have had. The pc I built going on 8 years ago now, is still going strong, still a powerhouse and speed demon. (Except when Malwarebytes is running a scan! LOL)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:58 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Peter2150 wrote:
Hi Jay

On the issue I was talking about, it was cause space to be used if you were 1) Running Mbam 3 and if you had the ransomware module on. If that is the case the files would located in the c:\SVI folder. It might be hidden and you have to mess with permissions to see in it.

Otherwise I am not sure. Questions 1. How big is the disk and how big are the image files. Is that all you are saving.

Also what version of acronis are you using?

I'm using Acronis 2017.

Current drive space on the internal image drive is 300 GB free of 480 GB. That is including Acronis and Windows images. A few days ago there was much less free space but I wiped the archived images of Windows 7 for both Acronis and Windows image.

Actual image sizes:
Source drive for images (system): 143 GB.
Acronis image: 72.1 GB.
Windows image: 105 GB.

I enabled the viewing of hidden and protected files/folders and do not hafe a C:\SVI folder. I DO have a "System Volume Information" folder but I don't think that is what you mean.

As a note, from what I've just read, I'm note sure that it is fully understood what a mirror RAID array actually is. It is two drives doing the exact same thing. When you save a file it goes to both drives. The 2 drives are only seen as 1 drive but they are exact copies of each other and either can run on its own if the other fails. As to a physical drive failure this is superior to imaging as an image does not have to be restored if a drive fails. You throw in a new drive and the RAID array re-builds the new drive to match the remaining current in the background. This is sort of like an on-going clone between drives.

Then you have a 'striped' array; this is the speed demon. It uses 2 drives in tandom. It is like dual channel memory but with hard drives. This array splits the data between 2 drives and can be dangerous as, if 1 drive fails everything is gone as half of all the data is on each drive but neither contain all the data. This system absolutely requires image backup!

You can also combine these RAID arrays but it takes 4 drives. I have never actually ran a RAID array but I sort of know how they work. Basically you set up 2 striped RAID arrays and then use the mirror option of RAID to mirror the striped array.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:11 am 
welcoming committee

The System Volume Information file was exactly what I meant. Thats where VSS files are stored while the image is taking place. Give me another day of the test I am running, and I'll post the results, and give you an idea.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » Technical Forums » Security