Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post subject: Two Questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Everyone, I have two questions about security. 1. What in your opinion is the best program for maximum security? 2. Is the Adobe Flash player safe to use?

Post subject: Re: Two Questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:07 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
First question is hard to answer as it depends a lot on your computer usage. I just use Defender (Security Essentials in Win 7) and Malwarebytes Pro on my systems and it does me just fine. Pete is using for a business and testing so uses more 'extreme' measures.

As to Flash Player being safe to use... absolutely not but you don't really have a lot of choice unless you want to lose the ability to view most videos on-line and even the ability to view some web pages. Just make sure to keep it updated as updates come often as security flaws are found a lot. I recommend doing an update and setting to either do automatically from that point on or set to notify. I suggest notify so you can be sure that you are able to unselect two install options that add... can't remember what they add but you don't want. ;) They will be in the center column of the install dialog.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:22 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Allyson

If you want maximum security there are two must have programs.

1. Sandboxie for all browsing. Also if you use flash, using Sandboxie then flash can't hurt you.

2. Blueridge's Appguard. Using it on Win 7 I have not been able get any malware past it

If you are interested, I can help you set these programs up.

Another alternative is Emsisoft's Internet Security. I recommend for a couple of reasons. First there treatment of customers can't be beat. Then there is their head technical guy Fabian Wosar. He has done a lot of work in helping people decrypt ransomware. He even had an "honorable" mention actually placed in some ransomware code. His knowledge and expertise is constantly added to the Behavior Blocker in EIS.

Anyway if you have any questions, let me know.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:41 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
First question is hard to answer as it depends a lot on your computer usage. I just use Defender (Security Essentials in Win 7) and Malwarebytes Pro on my systems and it does me just fine. Pete is using for a business and testing so uses more 'extreme' measures.

As to Flash Player being safe to use... absolutely not but you don't really have a lot of choice unless you want to lose the ability to view most videos on-line and even the ability to view some web pages. Just make sure to keep it updated as updates come often as security flaws are found a lot. I recommend doing an update and setting to either do automatically from that point on or set to notify. I suggest notify so you can be sure that you are able to unselect two install options that add... can't remember what they add but you don't want. ;) They will be in the center column of the install dialog.

This is all very confusing. Under Programs and Features in the control panel, it shows that Adobe Flash is already installed on my computer (Windows 7 Pro) but more often than not, I get messages that it wont run without Adobe Flash. Also when I open "all Programs", it does not show Adobe Flash. So, any solutions ?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:52 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Hi Allyson

If you want maximum security there are two must have programs.

1. Sandboxie for all browsing. Also if you use flash, using Sandboxie then flash can't hurt you.

2. Blueridge's Appguard. Using it on Win 7 I have not been able get any malware past it

If you are interested, I can help you set these programs up.

Another alternative is Emsisoft's Internet Security. I recommend for a couple of reasons. First there treatment of customers can't be beat. Then there is their head technical guy Fabian Wosar. He has done a lot of work in helping people decrypt ransomware. He even had an "honorable" mention actually placed in some ransomware code. His knowledge and expertise is constantly added to the Behavior Blocker in EIS.

Anyway if you have any questions, let me know.

Hi Peter, Will Sandboxie run alongside Norton, Kaspersky and the like?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:40 pm 
welcoming committee

Allyson wrote:

Hi Peter, Will Sandboxie run alongside Norton, Kaspersky and the like?

Norton, probably, Kaspersky probably not.

Pete

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Allyson wrote:
This is all very confusing. Under Programs and Features in the control panel, it shows that Adobe Flash is already installed on my computer (Windows 7 Pro) but more often than not, I get messages that it wont run without Adobe Flash. Also when I open "all Programs", it does not show Adobe Flash. So, any solutions ?

What web browser are you using? Flash may be blocked/disabled by your browser.
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:10 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Allyson wrote:

What web browser are you using? Flash may be blocked/disabled by your browser.
-steve

Hi Steve, I am using IE-11 but sometimes use Mozilla

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:00 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Allyson, whew, where to begin? First of all, I agree with absolutely everything everyone has stated so far. Let's start with Steve.

If you are using Mozilla Firefox, Firefox will many times prevent the use of Flash once it detects it is an old version, which happens all the time since Flash is always being hacked; I don't know about IE11. If you are using Firefox, to see if it is blocking Flash go to Add-Ons > Plugins. There it will tell you if it is blocking Flash. If it is, it will also let you update it, look for a blue Update Now. Now what Jay said: I also suggest to do this manually since Adobe WILL try to sneak other stuff onto your system.

Now what Peter said. I agree about all three programs he recommends although I only currently use two of them. I swear by Emsisoft Internet Security. Fabian's reputation at Wilder's Security is impeccable. Of all the security programs on my system, and there are many, Sandboxie is my favorite. There used to be a free version available which suits most people, don't know if there still is. But this is not a "set-and-forget" program like an anti-Virus, it has a bit of a learning curve. But when Peter says he will help you set it up, he isn't kidding, he helps people all the time, including me. Now Appguard ... HUGE learning curve. In fact it was so hard for me to wrap my mind around it I removed it. But when Peter says it stop ALL bad guys he isn't kidding, he torture tests all of these programs, and to repeat myself, this gem of a person will help you.

I agree with Jay's recommendation of Malwarebytes.

Good luck, Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:35 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Acadia

I am going to change one thing about you posted. With the help of Lockbox who is a Appguard support guide I've figured out that configuring Appguard isn't nearly as hard as you would thing. It does take a small amound of learning to use it, but it's not that bad. All it really takes is a willingness to learn.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:37 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Hi Allyson, whew, where to begin? First of all, I agree with absolutely everything everyone has stated so far. Let's start with Steve.

If you are using Mozilla Firefox, Firefox will many times prevent the use of Flash once it detects it is an old version, which happens all the time since Flash is always being hacked; I don't know about IE11. If you are using Firefox, to see if it is blocking Flash go to Add-Ons > Plugins. There it will tell you if it is blocking Flash. If it is, it will also let you update it, look for a blue Update Now. Now what Jay said: I also suggest to do this manually since Adobe WILL try to sneak other stuff onto your system.

Now what Peter said. I agree about all three programs he recommends although I only currently use two of them. I swear by Emsisoft Internet Security. Fabian's reputation at Wilder's Security is impeccable. Of all the security programs on my system, and there are many, Sandboxie is my favorite. There used to be a free version available which suits most people, don't know if there still is. But this is not a "set-and-forget" program like an anti-Virus, it has a bit of a learning curve. But when Peter says he will help you set it up, he isn't kidding, he helps people all the time, including me. Now Appguard ... HUGE learning curve. In fact it was so hard for me to wrap my mind around it I removed it. But when Peter says it stop ALL bad guys he isn't kidding, he torture tests all of these programs, and to repeat myself, this gem of a person will help you.

I agree with Jay's recommendation of Malwarebytes.

Good luck, Acadia

Go to Add Ons> Plugins ???? Wow, where are they? Now if I was going to Victoria's Secret> Angel Wicked or something Lightly Lined I could probably find my way but I do not know where to go for Add Ons> Plugins.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Allyson wrote:

Go to Add Ons> Plugins ???? Wow, where are they? Now if I was going to Victoria's Secret> Angel Wicked or something Lightly Lined I could probably find my way but I do not know where to go for Add Ons> Plugins.

Look for Tools on the Menu Bar.
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:01 pm 

LOL! Since I went through all the work of doing screen shots I'm going to go ahead and post the following even though Acadia gave a quick answer.

Open Firefox and click the three lines in the upper right.
Attachment:
firefox1.jpg
firefox1.jpg [ 24.53 KiB | Viewed 22856 times ]

Now select 'Add-ons'.
Attachment:
firefox2.jpg
firefox2.jpg [ 54.38 KiB | Viewed 22856 times ]

I suspect that you will see an alert such as the following.
Attachment:
firefox3.jpg
firefox3.jpg [ 18.33 KiB | Viewed 22856 times ]

Select to 'Update now'. Make sure to uncheck the added installs in the middle column of the Flash update dialog. Also make sure, during the install to select to notify on updates. If you now go to add-ons the Flash listing should look like the following.
Attachment:
firefox4.jpg
firefox4.jpg [ 29.14 KiB | Viewed 22856 times ]

Flash videos should now work fine in Firefox.

I would then open Internet Explorer and go to the following link to update Flash.
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
Select Windows 7 as to the OS and make sure to follow through with the cautions stated above such as unchecking the options to install other stuff and setting Flash to notify.

Hopefully you should be good to go in both browsers.

LOL! Please don't take this wrong but I just can't resist... :mrgreen: As to your reference as to being able to find your way around Victoria's Secret....... Can I go shopping with you??? :silly3:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:33 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
LOL! Since I went through all the work of doing screen shots I'm going to go ahead and post the following even though Acadia gave a quick answer.

Open Firefox and click the three lines in the upper right.
Attachment:
Firefox.jpg

Now select 'Add-ons'.
Attachment:
firefox2.jpg

I suspect that you will see an alert such as the following.
Attachment:
firefox3.jpg

Select to 'Update now'. Make sure to uncheck the added installs in the middle column of the Flash update dialog. Also make sure, during the install to select to notify on updates. If you now go to add-ons the Flash listing should look like the following.
Attachment:
firefox4.jpg

Flash videos should now work fine in Firefox.

I would then open Internet Explorer and go to the following link to update Flash.
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
Select Windows 7 as to the OS and make sure to follow through with the cautions stated above such as unchecking the options to install other stuff and setting Flash to notify.

Hopefully you should be good to go in both browsers.

LOL! Please don't take this wrong but I just can't resist... :mrgreen: As to your reference as to being able to find your way around Victoria's Secret....... Can I go shopping with you??? :silly3:

Hi Jay........I do not get that update when I click on "add ons". All it says is Open H264 Video Codec provided by Cisco and that it is automatically installed by Mozilla.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:42 pm 

Then I'm sorry to say that I can't be of much help. Internet Explorer is my default browser and I only do Firefox to check compatibility if I'm working on a web site.

The only other suggestion I can really offer is to go to your Control Panel and remove Flash Player. Then do a new install of Flash Player.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:50 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
The only other suggestion I can really offer is to go to your Control Panel and remove Flash Player. Then do a new install of Flash Player.

Then open Firefox and do a install of flash player. In Win 7 both IE and FF have their own version of Flash Player

Follow Jay's advice above to do the Flash Player installs

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:03 am 
welcoming committee

And if you do a fresh install of Flash Player remember to untick all of that extra junk that they will try to sneak onto your system.
Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:03 am 
welcoming committee

And yet another thread here gets side tracked.

1. When you get all thru messing with Flash you will be no more secure then now. Adobe is dropping it in 2020 as they aren't going to try and make it more secure.

2. Malwarebytes isn't a bad program, but the Op asked about maximum security. MB3 even doesn't come close. I've given up hope that they will respond to bypasses and it's history for me.

3. If you use Sandboxie you don't need to worry about flash!!

4. Appguard isn't that hard, unless you are not willing to learn. Acadia, you told me you took it off because it was to heavy on your system. I've offered to help you set it up. Still waiting.

Folks if you indeed want Maximum Security, you won't achieve with any scanning type program, and you will find you do need a bit of learning.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:30 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Acadia, you told me you took it off because it was to heavy on your system. I've offered to help you set it up. Still waiting.

Yes, heavy unless something else was to blame, but also too hard. In fact I looked at my old notes on Appguard again just yesterday ... yikes, never bothered to reinstall. But I will not deny that this is one unique, one of a kind program, the only one out there that protects in this way. One would think other companies would pick up on this and create something similar, and maybe easier to use?

Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:37 pm 

Peter2150 wrote:

Side tracked how? Flash was asked about in the first post in this thread... ;)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:11 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Peter2150 wrote:

Side tracked how? Flash was asked about in the first post in this thread... ;)

Hi Jay

In this situation I would agree you are right. It's just with the answer I gave Allyson Flash is really trivial. Couple of reasons.

First Flash is on it's way out. But more significantly, either Sandboxie or Appguard by themselves would negate any threat from Flash and together I would rate them impenetrable.

Again I'll make the point, you can't maximum security with scanning software

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:14 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Peter2150 wrote:
Acadia, you told me you took it off because it was to heavy on your system. I've offered to help you set it up. Still waiting.

Yes, heavy unless something else was to blame, but also too hard. In fact I looked at my old notes on Appguard again just yesterday ... yikes, never bothered to reinstall. But I will not deny that this is one unique, one of a kind program, the only one out there that protects in this way. One would think other companies would pick up on this and create something similar, and maybe easier to use?

Acadia

One thing to consider is basically Appguard is enterprise software. One of the very few made for and sold to users. 2nd thing to consider is easy to use and top protection aren't a easy to make together. If you really really want maximum it's going to take some effort.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:23 pm 

Pete, I will give you that, with the security you run, Flash not being updated is not near the factor that it is with 'everyday' security. Still I would rather have it working properly and updating.

Even the above is not the real issue that is being seen with Flash. Yes, I agree that Flash is probably on the way out with the abilities of HTML5 and other systems but it is still here for a while and is needed to view videos on many sites. In this case Flash is either being disabled by the browsers or is just plain broken.

I agree that the security aspects of this thread carry more weight. In a perfect world the two posted questions would have been in two different threads but that is not the case. This is my fault. Initially I should have made two threads but did not realize the actual issues involved with Flash. By the initial question it seemed that both were security related. If it gets too confusing I may still split off the Flash posts. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:09 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Then I'm sorry to say that I can't be of much help. Internet Explorer is my default browser and I only do Firefox to check compatibility if I'm working on a web site.

So much stuff comes up when I look for a "flash player download". How can I tell if it is the most current one? Can you furnish a URL? Also beware of VS, if I take you in you may never want to come back out. !!

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:07 pm 

This should do it for you. Make sure that you watch for the 2 extras it will want to install and unselect.
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

Board index » Technical Forums » Security