Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi everyone,
I recently downloaded the insider preview of Windows 10. The install went fine with no problems. The install was build 10162. As part of the install I opened a Microsoft account so as to use all aspects of Windows 10.

I received a notification in the notification window telling me that I had to fix something to receive further builds. I attempted to do this by entering my account information including the password and clicking next. This took me to another window asking for my old password. I finally figured out what the old password was and entered it.

This took me to yet another window telling me to sign in yet again. I did so and this took me to yet another window where it wanted me to refresh Windows. I clicked on refresh which brought up one more attempt to sign into my account.

Obviously, I am doing something wrong. For the life of me I can't figure out what. I don't understand the refresh portion of this procedure or even why I must sign in so many times.

I would appreciate any help or information which will resolve this issue. I am especially interested in the refresh aspect. Thanks in advance.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Go to http://account.live.com and sign in to manage your account. Which password worked? I've only ever done one refresh and that was with Windows 8.x. It required my sign-in to proceed. It sounds like your installed copy of Windows 10 is in a wacky state. Try going to Settings/Accounts and switching to a local account. Reboot, log in. Now switch to use the Microsoft Account, sign in. Fingers crossed.

Was this an upgrade or fresh install? You might want to do a complete reinstall if the above fails.

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:25 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Boots,

I took your suggestion about account.live. I hope that it works. So far I've noticed no change but I'll let you know.

This was a new download from Microsoft so it should be OK. So maybe it is wacky...what computer isn't...really.

Thanks again.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:26 am 
Site Admin

What do you mean by not noticing any change? Is Windows still asking you for credentials and accepting only the old password? Which password worked at account.live.com? Which worked when you switched back to a Microsoft account and logged in?
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Thank you for responding again boots.
This whole thing has been terribly frustrating and I'm still not sure that I have it resolved. I have done the following: followed your advice and tried to make a local account, unfortunately it seemed to do nothing. I did try to reboot, login, switch to the Microsoft account, and still got the notification.

I tried changing passwords as well as accounts, again I still got the notifications. Today, I decided to try a new route by setting up a new Microsoft account using a new email address (using Hotmail) as my basic account. So far, I have not received any notifications but I'm not sure that this is going to work. I, of course, hope this will resolve the issue.

Can I assume, that using this new account I will still get updates on the builds for Windows 10? If this is the case I will be satisfied.

Thank you again for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:45 pm 
welcoming committee

Guess what...I just got another notification to fix "get new builds". Apparently a new account didn't work either.

I think I'll go quietly beat my head against the wall. :oops2:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:46 am 
Site Admin

joemonte wrote:
Thank you for responding again boots.
This whole thing has been terribly frustrating and I'm still not sure that I have it resolved. I have done the following: followed your advice and tried to make a local account, unfortunately it seemed to do nothing. I did try to reboot, login, switch to the Microsoft account, and still got the notification.

Perhaps I'm misreading the above, but I think there's a step missing:
1. Create local account
2. Reboot the machine
3. log in with local account
4. Use PC for a while

Any issues?

Then, log off, reboot, log in with the Microsoft account.

The issue I was addressing was your report about using the old password for your Microsoft Account after having changed it and the notice to perform a refresh. What is the status of this issue?

What is the exact notice about an upgrade?

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:59 am 
welcoming committee

The Fix New Builds thing will always happen when signed on with a local account. They changed the Insider Program so that you must be logged in with the Microsoft Account to get new builds of win 10. Just ignore it, the system is checking to see if there is a new build available but wants you to be using you Microsoft Account to finish the check.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:20 pm 
welcoming committee

Thank you for your information. You mean I can stop beating my head against the wall...AH, that feels so good to stop.

Seriously, that's excellent news. Does that mean that I will still receive the latest builds?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Joe, are you back to using a Microsoft Account? The issue I was trying to help you with was getting your credentials for your Microsoft account back in sync as you stated that you used the old password to sign into the PC.
Either way, you should be able to get the new build(s) when available.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:11 pm 
welcoming committee

You will get notified of new builds when signed in with the Microsoft Account.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows