Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:41 pm 
welcoming committee

As a Windows 10 Insider on the "Fast Track", I was not able to get from Build 10166 to the RTM version 10240. Windows Update/Advanced Options kept telling me that "Your Microsoft account requires attention to get Insider builds." I would then run the Update troubleshooter and get the results here:
Attachment:
Update Trouble Shooter.JPG
Update Trouble Shooter.JPG [ 39.7 KiB | Viewed 21719 times ]
. Can anyone offer a way to repair Service Registration (whatever that is)?
Gerry

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:09 am 
Site Admin

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... or-corrupt

The post marked as Answer:
"Regarding Windows update error 0x80240016, please check the article below:

Windows Update error 0x80240016

If you see Windows Update error 0x80240016 or 80240016 while trying to install updates, it typically means that another installation is in progress. There are a couple methods you can try to resolve the error.

Error 80240016 indicates that Windows Update can't use the user token. The user token contains the basic credentials that Windows Update needs to update your computer on your behalf without requiring you to sign in every time. This error can occur if you're running your computer for long periods without restarting and the token expires. It might also occur when Automatic Update is running in the background and Windows Update is run in the foreground. Starting and stopping the Automatic Update service will reset the service and acquire the token again, which is what the Windows Update troubleshooter can do.

Or we may do a DISM to restorehealth:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth "

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:10 am 
Site Admin

searching for this error text returns a fair number of results. It appears that many people simply throw in the towel and do a clean Windows install to resolve the problem.

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:46 pm 
welcoming committee

I have never received an error number so I don't know if I have the same problem as these others or not. If I do the clean install, Steve, would that throw me out of the Insider program? So far as I can tell, I am still a member.
Gerry

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:10 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Personally, and this is just me, I would not want fast track builds after installing the RTM. Once that is done the preview is over and I will consider 10 to be an installed production OS just like 7 and 8.1.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:53 pm 
welcoming committee

You may be right about that, Jay; however, I'm wondering if I will get any updates at all with this broken Service Registration. On the other hand, I see that Windows Defender updates are being installed daily, and that must mean the update process is working, so one would presume that other updates would also flow through. Maybe I have a non problem.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:10 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Personally, and this is just me, I would not want fast track builds after installing the RTM. Once that is done the preview is over and I will consider 10 to be an installed production OS just like 7 and 8.1.

Actually, it isn't quite done, Jay. They have posted a new Insider build 10525, and I can't get it because of the problem with the broken service registration. I have a call booked for Microsoft techs to see if they can help.

When I moved operating systems around to new drives, somehow a D: drive got made. It is labeled "Recovery" and contains three folders: Boot, Recovery, and System Volume Information plus two files: bootmgr and rescuepe.log. I never saw this partition before but it looks like something I don't want to delete. I'd like to use D: on another partition. Would it be alright to change the Recovery partition from D: to another letter?
Gerry

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:21 pm 

Unless the partition is being used as part of the boot, which I seriously doubt, it would probably be OK except that if the partition were to be needed the drive letter would probably need to be changed back to D:. This COULD be an issue if the system won't boot. Knowing me I'd mess with it but can't really recommend doing so to others. While I doubt that this partition is anything more than a sort of recovery disk like you would make to CD/DVD in Win 7-8.1 I cannot say that for fact.

Personally, unless you are completely comfortable with the following, I would leave it as is and select another letter for the drive you would like to have as D:.

I assume that you allowed the Windows install to set up the drive. Any more that always tends to create added partitions. I just booted to my Win 10 final release install on my laptop and checked. I have no such partition as your recovery. Any more I never allow Windows install to partition and format the drive. I do this beforehand. If you did an upgrade install I'm somewhat surprised as that was my method also. I upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro. Then again I did not do it through Windows Updates, I created install media and did it all from the resulting DVD.

Again, not saying that you should do, just outlining what I would do if I wanted it gone.

First, are you familiar with a program called GParted? It is a program that creates a boot CD that is basically a partition manager in the Linux environment. GParted would allow the D: designation to be returned to the recovery partition if a boot to Windows failed.

Second, I'd create a current system image including the recovery partition if possible.

Third, I'd use Drive Management to remove the drive letter from the recovery partition and reboot several times.

If everything still worked I'd kill the partition and expand another to add its space if it is in a position on the disk that this can be done. If not in a position that can be expanded to I'd just leave it alone; I assume that it is small. In either case you would then be able to assign D: to the desired drive.

If things go south you would just boot to the GParted CD/DVD and assign the D: designation back to the partition and use another letter for the other drive.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:58 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks for that complete rundown of some options, Jay. I decided to just go ahead and change the drive letter to R: for Recovery, and my 8.1 partition back to D: when I'm in Windows 10. Obviously when I'm in 8.1, it becomes C: and Windows 10 then is D: I was ready to use EasyBCD to show it the new path to the 8.1 partition, but to my surprise, EasyBCD did it for me. I have successfully booted now into all three: 7, 8.1 and 10, which is now my default OS. I'm going to leave the Recovery partition as R: and not delete it since it only takes up 148MBs and since I don't know which OS needs it, if any.

News Flash: I am writing this in Windows 7 and I just opened that Recovery partition and find only one file in it whereas in 8.1 and 10 there are three folders and a couple of files, one of which is this one: rescuepe.log. I just double-clicked on it and a window opened reading: Macrium Reflect Boot Log. That solves the mystery. This partition was created by Reflect, apparently when I creaded its recovery disc for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. So I will indeed leave it alone, but now I must find out if it needs to be labeled D: instead of R:.
Gerry

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:21 pm 

Pete would probably be better at giving specific answers on this as he uses Macrium but I will give an opinion.

The probable reason that you don't see all the files/folders in Win 7 is that they are considered hidden by that OS.

Easy BCD didn't do anything in this case as nothing dealing with the boot changed. Even if something had changed EasyBCD would do nothing. It does not even run unless you start it. It is a manual tool, not a background process or service. When you change a drive letter in Windows it only affects the designation within Windows. You could even have the same drive/partition 'lettered' differently in each OS. The boot manager obviously loads before Windows so changing a letter in Windows has no affect on the boot.

If I may offer some suggestions...

1) Unless Pete offers a different opinion I would not give the Recovery partition the drive designation of R:. I would Use Drive Management in Windows or EaseUS Partition Master to actually remove the drive letter. Since it seems that it was created to work with a boot CD/DVD doing this should have zero affect. It will cause the partition to not show in Explorer making it so you cannot accidently do something unintended to the partition. The only issue this MIGHT cause is if you created another Recovery disk. If you were to do so I'd restore the D: designation first to assure that it did not create yet another Recovery partition.

2) If you are going to run a dual... triple boot do NOT allow any of the OSs to see the others. In Windows 7 remove the drive letter for Windows 8.1 and 10. In Windows 8.1 remove the drive letters for Windows 7 and 10. In Windows 10 remove the drive letters for Windows 7 and 8.1. This will not affect your boot in any way and will isolate each OS from the others, it is the safe way to go as no OS can mess up another unless you try REALLY hard to do so. ;)

3) If you are leaving access to all three OSs on each due to wanting to share the data contained on each stop doing that. Create a data partition and share that partition between all three OSs. The one exception on this is if you are using Outlook for email. If so only check email on your default OS as it would seem that sharing the Outlook PST file between OSs can cause issues. I suppose that you could also check email on the other OSs but I would set the others to NOT delete from the server if using POP3. For me it seems easier to just have one OS check for email as I'm probably on another OS for a specific purpose.

4) If I read right Windows 10 is intended as your default OS. Consider putting the other OSs on Virtual Machines and simplify your system dramatically. On my desktop I have more space free on my SSD than used by a long shot. I also have SATA power and data cables running out of the back of the box. I also have a drive with Windows 8.1 installed that I can connect to these external connections if I want 8.1, but why? I am thinking about installing Win 8.1 in a Virtual Machine on my SSD within Windows 7 to see how it runs. I suspect that it will do just fine.

Some of the above sounds complicated but really is not. Keep in mind that the simpler that you can make your system the less likely it is that you will have issues.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:47 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay --
Again, many thanks for the very helpful information. To respond to your specific points:
- I thought EasyBCD changed the path to 8.1 by itself since I originally set it up pathed to M: as the 8.1 drive, then I saw that it was correctly pathed to D:, which is the new letter I had just given it. Now you've taught me more about it. I like this little program and you were the first to recommend it several years ago.
- Actually I do need to make another Macrium recovery disc as the one I have was created in 8.1. I need to make one for 10, so I'll watch to see if it makes another Restore partition. I suspect that if it does it will be hidden, just as I think this one was before I moved the partitions around. For right now, I'll leave the R: designation alone unless Pete has another idea.
- I will do as you suggest in #2 -- never thought of that.
- No, I'm not sharing data between operating systems. I have had a separate date partition for many years and all three OSs save and retrieve from that. The programs that insist on putting their data hidden way down on the C: drive I let do that on whatever OS I'm running it on. I don't path it to another OS drive. Adobe Photoshop Elements is a good example of that, hiding its photo catalog for the Organizer in a place you couldn't possibly guess off hand. I have PSE installed on both 8.1 and 10, but I am in the process of migrating the 8.1 catalog to 10 so I can uninstall it on 8.1. Outlook has been working well on all three OSs, but the PST file is on the data partition, which they use. I think your suggestion to leave the mail on the server in 7 and 8.1 is a good one, leaving 10 as the primary Outlook app and the one that deletes the server mail. My only problem has been when I tried to use Outlook 2016 Preview and it clashed with Outlook 2010, my main email app.
- I have never used Virtual Machine so am unfamiliar with how it works and where you get it. Your suggestion sounds like a good one as I was going to uninstall 8.1, now a 32-bit app, and reinstall from a 64-bit disc I purchased from Microsoft. Can you steer me in the right direction for me to get educated on virtual machine? Many thanks.
Gerry
-

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:11 pm 

Since most of your last post just seems to be recognition of my advice I would suggest that you start another thread asking how to set up a virtual machine.

Also I would not recommend sharing your Outlook PST file. I' don't know Outlook well but think that Patty will agree.

Before you start another thread about virtual machines... if you chose to do so... You may want to read the following. It may be way outdated but still applies in general.
http://jaylach.com/downloads/virtual-pc ... -guide.zip

Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:01 am 
Fearless Leader

Right. Sharing .pst files can be deadly. Might seem fine at first, but I've seen on more than one occasion people lose the entire contents as a result.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:05 am 
welcoming committee

Sorry I am late to the party, just took a look at this thread.

Couple of things:

1. Yes when you make the Recovery Environments, indeed Macrium does put a log file in the boot partition. I can't say about the extra partition, as all my disks only have one partition the c: partition, so Macrium writes it there.

2. Since my Win 7 setup has only the c: partition the windows 10 upgrade didn't create any extra partitions.

3. I don't Dual boot, but when I want to go back and forth I just restore the appropriate image. I already have Raxco's preboot, and windows boot manager, and I leave it at that. Plus having dual boot would increase the size of the c: drive and significantly add to imaging and restore times.

4. I'll post in the advanced section on how I got rid of all the extra partitions.

Pete

PS. I agree with Patty 1000% about not sharing an Outlook PST file. It could be a disaster.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:06 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Right. Sharing .pst files can be deadly. Might seem fine at first, but I've seen on more than one occasion people lose the entire contents as a result.

Fortunately, Patty, I've never had that problem and I've been doing it for several years as you know. I do back up that file in a data partition image daily in Macrium Reflect just to be sure.
Gerry

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:12 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Pete. I'll see what happens when I create my new Macrium recovery disc as soon as Windows 10 gets through furnishing me new Insider builds. Right now I'm running 10532, downloaded and installed just overnight. Or is that even a Macrium Reflect concern?? Maybe it doesn't care what version of Windows 10 I'm running and I could make that disc right now and it would work no matter what build of Windows 10 is current.
Gerry

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:19 pm 
welcoming committee

The disk should work no matter what build. It should be fine. I haven't upgraded yet to 532 but it all was fine for 525.

PS I have the RE in the boot menu and I restore images back and forth from within windows.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:36 pm 

Mayhaps I'm missing something but, as I stated earlier, I don't understand why you want to still keep getting Insider builds. Windows 10 is now full retail release and should be treated, in my humble opinion, as a final release. Of course there will be updates along the way but by getting early Insider build releases you endanger your system if there is something seriously wrong with an early Insider release. I would never even consider accepting these early builds if Win 10 were my primary OS. Shoot, I quit taking them with 10 as a secondary OS.

Just my opinion but Insider builds have served their purpose with the preview and are now a dead issue. Windows 10 is now a 'production OS' and should be treated as such. Continuing to get early builds endangers your system... Again, just my opinion.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:07 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, you may well be right. It's just that I like to learn as much about computers as my elderly brain will absorb and keeping a jump ahead of things new in Windows 10 seems like a good way to learn. You are right of course -- the OS is about as final as it's supposed to be at this point. The two Insider builds that have updated since then have included only minor changes, none of which has affected my system so far. Do you think there is really a chance of endangering my system with daily Macrium images being made on an external HD? These are full images, so if something does screw up the system, I can go back to a previous day's image.

Your concern got me wondering about System Restore, so I just checked and found there are no restore points because it wasn't turned on. I turned it on after build 10240, but I guess each new build turns it off. Now I know and will check each time.
Gerry

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:23 am 
welcoming committee

Based on earlier OS's I am not sure I would be ready to call 10 final. But to address Gerry's question. If you are using Macrium, particularily V6, paid version, I would say you have no need for system restore. Macrium V6 paid, is blazingly fast, and you have a complete image.

Gerry what I would do is have keep images of your working system, then install the insider builds and play, you can certainly go back easily. Using images I restore back and forth between Win 7 my working system, and win 10. I never even use Recovery Media. I have Macrium in the boot manager and do all the restores using that. Just have recovery Media in case.

Also if you have the paid version you can easily schedule some intra day incrementals/differentials.

Finally one question, Gerry. Have you done any restores, and if so are you comfortable doing it.

If you have any questions fire away.

Pete

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:25 am 

Of course you are covered with your images and of course you can keep doing the builds if you want. I just don't really see the sense.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:03 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Of course you are covered with your images and of course you can keep doing the builds if you want. I just don't really see the sense.

Two reasons: Curiosity and fun.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:45 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes, Jay -- Pete's two reasons are mine also. But your perspective is certainly understandable.

Pete, yes I have the paid version of V6 Macrium and I love it compared to my previous Acronis experience for many years. I used the restore function several times during my changeover to SSD and a new internal second hard drive. I moved Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 using Macrium restore and had no problems. But I have a question: How do you put it into the boot manager?
Gerry

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:04 pm 
welcoming committee

gmfry wrote:
Yes, Jay -- Pete's two reasons are mine also. But your perspective is certainly understandable.

Pete, yes I have the paid version of V6 Macrium and I love it compared to my previous Acronis experience for many years. I used the restore function several times during my changeover to SSD and a new internal second hard drive. I moved Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 using Macrium restore and had no problems. But I have a question: How do you put it into the boot manager?
Gerry

Hi Gerry

Assuming you've made the rescue media, just open the gui, and on the left side open the menu item other tasks. There you will see the option to add the re to the boot manager. Do it for any and all operating systems and then you can just set the restore up in windows and it will automatically boot in the RE, do the restore, and boot back. You will love it.

Another thing have you set up any definition files, and made short cuts for them. Talk about slick, then all you have to do is double click a desktop icon, and the backup runs. That's it.

Any more questions fire away.

Pete

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:53 pm 

Oh I understand the curiosity and fun aspect and you are covered by daily images so should be just fine. I just have to offer advice as to what would be best for the novice/average user. You know what you are doing and should be just fine but how many average users do daily images?

In a nutshell here is where I see the danger. I doubt that there are really new builds... OK, there may be actual builds but my guess would be that the builds are really just updates that are incorporated in the build instead as coming as just individual updates. Of course I do not know this for fact but consider it a pretty good probability. So now we have an average user with just one system and a single boot. This user heard about the Insider Program and figured it would be fun. They now have their RTM version but continue with the Insider builds. Of course these Insider builds are not ready for public release or they would not be Insider builds. A new build blows up this user's install and they have nothing. Being an average user they probably have no image and likely not even a data backup.

When one signed up for the Insider' program there was a warning that new builds should not be installed on a production system. A production system does not only mean a business system; it means a main system. While I understand that you are covered I would be lax if I gave any other advice in public other than to not continue. If an average user insisted on continuing with the Insider builds I'd recommend that they do so in a virtual machine.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows