Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:26 pm 
welcoming committee

Short Version of Problem
My new Garmin GPS works well in my auto as a standalone unit, and it works well when connected to a USB port on my Win 7 PC. But when I try a similar connection to my Win 10 PC, it locks up the PC and a restart is required.

Longer Version of Problem
I just purchased a new Garmin GPS, model 2789. The unit functions well when it is in the stand-alone GPS mode. It also works well when connected to my Win 7 PC for the purpose of downloading waypoints, routes, etc.

But I have issues when I try to connect it to a USB port on my Win 10 PC, as follows:
- If my PC is already up and running when I connect the GPS, my system locks up; specifically, 'This PC' is quickly shown as not responding. I must then invoke Task Manager to restart File Explorer, but Win 10 still doesn't recognize the GPS.
- If I then restart my PC with the GPS still connected to the same USB port, everything is fine and the GPS is instantly recognized by Win 10 as a portable device.

I verified that I am using the most current driver for my GPS unit, and I am using the Garmin-supplied USB cable (which Garmin says is a must). I should also mention that older Garmin devices operate in a 'Mass Storage Mode' and are recognized as a removable USB device. But the newer Garmins like mine operate in a 'Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) Mode' and are recognized as a portable device.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions........

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

After Windows Explorer goes into the not responding state, how long have you waited before ending the task to restart Explorer?

Instead of restarting the PC, what if you log out of Windows and back in? Does that work (note that I wouldn't consider that a solution even if it did!)?

Is the USB port a 2.0 or 3.0 port? Front or rear?

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:54 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
After Windows Explorer goes into the not responding state, how long have you waited before ending the task to restart Explorer?
Probably no more than 15-20 seconds. Are you thinking I should wait longer?

Instead of restarting the PC, what if you log out of Windows and back in? Does that work (note that I wouldn't consider that a solution even if it did!)?
Logging in/out of windows is not something I normally do, but I could try that to see what happens.

Is the USB port a 2.0 or 3.0 port? Front or rear?
USB port is a front 3.0. I have trouble reaching my rear ports (old knees), as my tower sits on the floor beneath a table. I thought about trying that, but since the problem goes away with a restart, I figured the front port was not the issue. But I'm probably overlooking something here.

Thanks for your response, Steve.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:03 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Just to throw in a thought if I may...

Front USB ports can be a bit more flakey than those in back. If you have a front USB 2 port I would try that. If that fails I believe that you also run USB hubs connected to the back USB ports for your external drives. I would try connecting to one of the hubs.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:20 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Just to throw in a thought if I may...

Front USB ports can be a bit more flakey than those in back. If you have a front USB 2 port I would try that. If that fails I believe that you also run USB hubs connected to the back USB ports for your external drives. I would try connecting to one of the hubs.

Jay, you are correct....I use two hubs (2.0 and 3.0). I have to get down on the floor to get to any of these, whereas I have two USB 3.0 ports easily accessible on the top of my tower.

I am willing to get down on the floor tomorrow (and back up on Thursday) if you really think ports might be the issue. But a lagging question remains....if I use the same 3.0 port atop my tower, why does it work but only after a restart? I'll admit.....there is a lot about the physics of USB ports that I don't understand.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

The odd part is that a reboot with the device left plugged into the same front USB port allows to work as expected. That suggests to me that the hang you are observing could well be Windows attempting to detect the device and load the driver. Allow Windows to hang for a few minutes to see if it recovers happily.
In my experience, some devices take a bit longer than others to be detected, though I've not seen that hang that you are experiencing.
The reason I suggest a rear port is that the back ports tend to support power hungry devices better. it's worth a try.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:38 pm 

Don't crawl on the carpet until you have tried Steve's last suggestion. If that fails I would try a back port or a hub connected to the back.

Another thought is the power drain put on your USB ports by devices as Steve indicated by mentioning 'power hungry devices'. Your USB ports are set up in groups. Each group only allows 5 volt with not a lot of amperage. If your hubs are self powered that could possibly help. If it does you just move a hub to your desk surface so you don't need to crawl on the floor.

If it proves that directly connecting to a back port solves the issue get an extension USB cable and leave the GPS end easily available on your desk surface.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:47 pm 
welcoming committee

I'll play around with some of the ports tomorrow. Right now the connected GPS is working fine, following a recent PC restart.

Thanks for all your input, Steve and Jay.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve & Jay - My GPS continues to work fine. However, I tried two other ports.....a 2.0 in back and a 3.0 in a powered hub. Results were the same since the GPS has not locked up my computer since the restart. So I switched back to the 3.0 port on top of the tower. If/when the GPS locks my PC up again, I'll then retry these other ports.

A moderator on the Garmin nuvi forum said the lock up problem would probably never occur if I switched from the 'Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) Mode' to the 'Mass Storage Mode', where my GPS would be recognized as a removable USB device and not as a portable device. So that's something else I can try of the problem persists.

Now I need to go populate my new GPS so I can find my way around the area. Thanks to you both for your responses.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:41 pm 

Changing the mode makes sense to me as then it would basically just be seen as a flash drive.

USB can be an odd critter. In another thread it is mentioned by both Patty and myself that the system will not boot with a flash drive plugged in. In my case I solved just by removing USB from my boot order. In Patty's case she did not have USB listed in her boot order so I have no clue.

Actually... I think that you were playing with USB boot devices when you were looking at imaging packages. If your boot order still has USB listed it MIGHT be worth a try removing. If you ever do need to boot from USB you just put it back.

As to it seeming so strange that it all works on a re-start I sort of don't see it as all that strange. After all, when doing a restart, everything is still under power while this is not the case when doing a cold boot. Also it is possible that during a cold boot some things are not up to full power in time to see the GPS but on a re-start everything is already up to power so the GPS is seen. Of course this is speculation as there is no way that I could know for sure.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:12 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, admittedly, I do have a lot of USB devices. And my new Velocity PC only came with six ports.....two 2.0 and two 3.0 in the rear, and two 3.0 on top of the tower. So almost since the beginning I have been using two 7-port powered hubs......a 2.0 and a 3.0. After I got all the hiccups taken care of (often with your help, thank you), my USB devices were working just fine. Until the GPS came along, which I think is indeed pretty power hungry. So like Steve alluded, I probably didn't give it enough time to get properly connected to my computer. But the GPS has been connected all day with no problems.

Actually, it is not really necessary to keep the GPS connected to the computer once the current maps have been downloaded (an all night endeavor for me) to the GPS. I can then use the GPS touch screen to plan routes, start routes, save waypoints, find my favorite Walmart, etc. But Garmin supplies a free program called BaseCamp that makes route planning and waypoint selection a lot easier.

So it's not the end of my GPS world if I continue to have Win 10 connection problems. Updated maps have already been downloaded to my GPS, and if I have need for a computer connection I can use my old Win 7 computer......it also has BaseCamp installed, and there are no connection issues between that old computer and my new GPS. Good old Windows 7..........

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows