Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:24 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I'm making progress.....took your advice and unplugged both USB devices (mouse and my external wireless adapter) and then successfully rebooted into normal mode. Right after the desktop came up, the AVG Remover screen appeared again.....seems it wasn't through with the uninstall process. The Remover continued, requesting two more (successful) restarts during the process. Now the Remover appears to be finished and I was once again at my friend's desktop.

I plugged the mouse receiver into a USB port, and the mouse is working fine. I enabled the internal wireless adapter, and now I need to see if it will make an internet connection; if not, I will do as you suggested and uninstall it in Device Manager and see if Windows will reinstall during a reboot. If that doesn't work, I will revert to my external USB wireless adapter. I will keep you posted.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:44 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
LOL! I guess waiting for input from Patty and Steve is out the window... (pun intended) :mrgreen: Glad you are back to a normal boot.

I hope that the internal wireless now works but, even if not, you MAY be able to fix as easily as installing the most recent drivers for the Toshiba laptop. You would just go to Toshiba and download the most recent drivers for the wireless. Again you can download the drivers on another system and install via a flash drive.

I WOULD like to see an experiment. That would be you again attaching the USB wireless and seeing if things work including a re-start and cold boot. If the boot again fails it would tend to indicate that your USB needs reset. I'm not going to bother going into details on this at this time as, hopefully, everything is now fine with the USB adapter.

It is also possible that there is a conflict between the USB wireless and the on-board. To test this you would go to the BIOS and disable the on-board wireless. Only consider this step if a boot with the USB wireless fails again. I would do this before resetting the USB as it is a pretty quick and simple test. Resetting the USB can be a little irritating as you will lose your mouse and touch pad at some point.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:26 pm 
Fearless Leader

If no wireless, first thing to do is to use the network Troubleshooter. If it appears that network is okay, but Internet is not, there is also an Internet troubleshooter.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:28 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
LOL! I guess waiting for input from Patty and Steve is out the window... (pun intended) :mrgreen: Glad you are back to a normal boot.
When they snooze, they lose!

I hope that the internal wireless now works but, even if not, you MAY be able to fix as easily as installing the most recent drivers for the Toshiba laptop. You would just go to Toshiba and download the most recent drivers for the wireless. Again you can download the drivers on another system and install via a flash drive.
Internal wireless still doesn't work. I will try to update drivers tomorrow (tonight I am a tired old man, lol).

I WOULD like to see an experiment. That would be you again attaching the USB wireless and seeing if things work including a re-start and cold boot. If the boot again fails it would tend to indicate that your USB needs reset. I'm not going to bother going into details on this at this time as, hopefully, everything is now fine with the USB adapter.
I plugged in the USB wireless and it again worked. I did a restart and the USB wireless was still working. I will try a cold boot later.

It is also possible that there is a conflict between the USB wireless and the on-board. To test this you would go to the BIOS and disable the on-board wireless.
I was/am able to disable the internal wireless from Device Manager.

Only consider this step if a boot with the USB wireless fails again. I would do this before resetting the USB as it is a pretty quick and simple test. Resetting the USB can be a little irritating as you will lose your mouse and touch pad at some point.
Thanks for your help, Jay. And Patty and Steve.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:31 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
If no wireless, first thing to do is to use the network Troubleshooter. If it appears that network is okay, but Internet is not, there is also an Internet troubleshooter.

Thanks, Patty. As discussed above, the problem appears to be with the internal wireless adapter.....I will try to update drivers tomorrow. Currently, everything is working fine (finally) using my USB external adapter. And AVG is totally off his system and Defender is on the job.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:41 pm 
Fearless Leader

Good job, Bb. :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

I had a lengthy post ready to go, but it appears that you made progress.

What I was going to suggest was removing the USB network adapter completely and seeing if we could make progress. Apparently you did and that's great -- good job!

I agree with Patty that your next step is the network troubleshooter.
However, can you tell me if the Windows sees the internal adapter, but just can't connect to a network?

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:57 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I had a lengthy post ready to go, but it appears that you made progress.

What I was going to suggest was removing the USB network adapter completely and seeing if we could make progress. Apparently you did and that's great -- good job!

I agree with Patty that your next step is the network troubleshooter.
However, can you tell me if the Windows sees the internal adapter, but just can't connect to a network?

-steve

Steve I think Windows sees the internal adapter because it appears in the Device Manager listing. But it would just never connect. Tomorrow I will go to Toshiba website and try to update the adapter driver(s). My friend said it was working before this AVG Watchdog meltdown.

My USB external adapter connected immediately after I entered the router security code.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:40 am 
welcoming committee

HI BB

Let me share an experience with you that might make thing easier. I have a Lenovo think pad and I don't know what happened but it wouldn't but at all. I tried the button that boots to the Lenovo recovery partition. That didn't work either, so I called Lenovo.

Fortunately I got a knowledgeable tech. He first thought it probably was the mother board. But I pointed out I was able to boot into the Macrium RE on the USB key. He said not mother board, but probably the disk. Then I told him I could run chkdsk from the usb key and it should the c: drive okay. He said okay, not the disk so it must be a software issue. I then asked him what he thought about trying the Macrium Boot repair. (It's on the left menu) He said he saw no harm in it.

I ran all the options, and voila, back to normal. Totally solved the problem.

Pete

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:36 am 
Fearless Leader

Just to play Devil's Advocate here - how do you know it wasn't Macrium that caused the problem in the first place? ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:00 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hey BB, have you reset the router? I have seen several times where adding a new device required a router reset. Even on a different system your USB device is not a new device but the internal device is.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:04 pm 
welcoming committee

Since this is a laptop, it might have a hotkey combination to enable/disable the wireless. Check the top row of keys for a little antenna symbol or maybe a separate button that turns wireless on/off.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:27 pm 
Fearless Leader

Duh! LOL Since I don't use a laptop, I always forget about that! Good call, David.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:42 pm 
welcoming committee

@ David & Patty - thanks for the response. Yes, on his laptop it's Fn+F8. I pressed those keys until I was blue in the face......didn't help. But I definitely thinks something is wrong with the Fn and corresponding 'hot keys', so that's what I will look into next. My external wireless adapter, of course, has no need for those keys, so it worked fine.

@ Jay - and thanks for your response. But nothing wrong with my router. My computer kept connecting to the internet with no problem, as did his once I connected my external adapter.

His laptop is now working just fine.....all functions/programs recovered with the exception of the internal adapter. So I'm off to play with the function keys....life doesn't get much more exciting than that, lol.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:46 pm 
welcoming committee

Internal adapter problem solved.....it is now working :nana1: :happy65:

Here's the solution I found on the Toshiba forum and then implemented:
- Went to following folder c:\program files\Toshiba\TBS
- Double-clicked on the "TBS Wireless.exe" file
- I brief icon message popped up indicating that the wireless system was now working (and the little orange light on lower right front of laptop finally came on, indicating wireless system now operational)
- I entered my router security code, my LAN was recognized, and I connected to the internet using his internal wireless adapter

So my friend's laptop is now back to the way it was before the AVG Watchdog meltdown. With one exception - AVG has been removed and Defender has been activated as his virus detector. Now he and I are going to talk about system image on external drive, the use of File History, etc.

Thanks to everyone for your help.....

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:37 pm 
Fearless Leader

Wow... great detective work, Bb! :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Wow... great detective work, Bb! :)

Thanks, Patty. This entire problem with my friend's laptop is probably something you, Jay, Steve or David could have solved in 30 minutes. Me.....I spent about 8 hours off & on. I may not be the sharpest tack in the box, but I am persistent. And as you know, I am not shy about asking for help from my Computer Haven friends.
:urock:

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:14 pm 
Fearless Leader

You're pretty sharp, Bb; but thanks! :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:53 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Just to play Devil's Advocate here - how do you know it wasn't Macrium that caused the problem in the first place? ;)

Hi Patty

Fair question. Myself and another wilders member have torture tested Macrium. I've crash tested it among other things. Also I have it on two Lenovo ThinkPad's and have never had a lick of trouble. Lastly even the Lenovo tech thought it a good call to have Macrium on the machine.

Pete

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
HI BB

Let me share an experience with you that might make thing easier. I have a Lenovo think pad and I don't know what happened but it wouldn't but at all. I tried the button that boots to the Lenovo recovery partition. That didn't work either, so I called Lenovo.

Fortunately I got a knowledgeable tech. He first thought it probably was the mother board. But I pointed out I was able to boot into the Macrium RE on the USB key. He said not mother board, but probably the disk. Then I told him I could run chkdsk from the usb key and it should the c: drive okay. He said okay, not the disk so it must be a software issue. I then asked him what he thought about trying the Macrium Boot repair. (It's on the left menu) He said he saw no harm in it.

Pete

Hi Pete -

I'm not sure why you called the Lenovo tech and I'm even more perplexed as to why you thought he was "knowledgeable". Sounds to me like you solved your own problem and sorta walked the tech through the solution process. Hopefully he took good notes on all your valid suggestions so that maybe he could actually be helpful to the next caller?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:54 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
Peter2150 wrote:
HI BB

Pete

Hi Pete -

I'm not sure why you called the Lenovo tech and I'm even more perplexed as to why you thought he was "knowledgeable". Sounds to me like you solved your own problem and sorta walked the tech through the solution process. Hopefully he took good notes on all your valid suggestions so that maybe he could actually be helpful to the next caller?

I called the tech because it first I didn't have a clue. But I had been playing, and as I told him what I had done he immediately recognized the significance and rather the clinging to what he had said he adapted correctly to new information. He was really aware of what I did. But stop and thing about the bad info that these guys get.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows