Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:41 pm 
welcoming committee

I am trying to help a friend with his Toshiba laptop. It is locked up and won't boot into Win 10 because of the AVG Watchdog program. So I am in Safe Mode trying to completely uninstall AVG from his computer.

But about 1/3 of the way through the AVG uninstall process, it errors off with the message "Microsoft Edge can't be opened with the Built-in Administrator Account. Sign in with a different account and try again".

If I check my friend's account settings, he is defined as the "Local Account Administrator".

So I am confused on these two accounts and don't know what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

If you friend's account is an Admin account, try creating a new account with admin rights from within his account.

Alternatively, just try running this tool while logged in under his account to remove all of AVG.
http://files-download.avg.com/util/tool ... emover.exe
I suspect you are running the standard uninstall which wants to launch the browser and is unsuccessful in Safe Mode.
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

Found this in the MS forum:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 63dc6e9b14

"Happen to me also on windows 10, black screen with a list of command line on a black screen involving avgwatchdog.
Frozen there.
I boot in safe mode, went into the services listing in the administrative tools section. (search for services or administrative tools in your windows)
I changed the startup mode of avgwatchdog to manual instead of automatic.
Reboot and it was ok.
I try to reinstall avg but this happen again so I will use another antivirus software...sad because I was using avg since a long time on many computer without problem."

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:00 pm 
Site Admin

Based on the MS Forum post, I think it would be wise to follow those directions from Safe Mode:

Go to Services (Type services in the search box and select services.msc)
Locate avgwatchdog and select properties to change startup mode to manual.
After rebooting to normal mode, use the AVG removal tool I linked to and use Windows Defender which is included with Windows 10 as a full antivirus program.

-steve

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Steve......those are some good ideas that I will try in the morning when I am fresh(er). I had actually come across that MS forum suggestion about Watchdog manual mode, but hadn't tried it yet. Now with your guidance I think I can get the job done. Will keep you posted.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:15 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
AVG has a removal tool along the lines of the Norton removal tool. Try the stuff above first but, if there is still an issue, try the AVG removal tool.
http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:18 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
AVG has a removal tool along the lines of the Norton removal tool. Try the stuff above first but, if there is still an issue, try the AVG removal tool.
http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

"Alternatively, just try running this tool while logged in under his account to remove all of AVG.
http://files-download.avg.com/util/tool ... emover.exe" :D

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:29 am 
welcoming committee

The problem I'm having this morning is I can't get logged onto the internet. I opened Safe Mode with Network, but his adapter can't find my LAN. Like Steve always says........another adventure.

And Steve, if I need to, how do I create another account within his account? Do I simply just add another user with Admin rights?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:04 am 
welcoming committee

If I am in Win 10 Safe Mode with Networking, is there a way to connect to a wireless network? I think there is in Win 7, but evidently it's not easy in Win 10.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.......

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:16 am 
welcoming committee

One thing one when this is all over. Teach your friend about imaging his computer. If he had done this there would be no issue.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:21 am 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
One thing one when this is all over. Teach your friend about imaging his computer. If he had done this there would be no issue.

Ain't that the truth. We have already spoken about the subject, lol.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:30 am 
Fearless Leader

Bb, the easiest way to get on the internet would be to use an Ethernet cable and plug him directly into your router. That way he's not doing anything with your LAN at all and you don't have to worry about authorization or passwords or anything else.

As far as creating a new admin account, yes, just go into the User Control panel and add a new account and make it an admin account.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:39 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Bb, the easiest way to get on the internet would be to use an Ethernet cable and plug him directly into your router. That way he's not doing anything with your LAN at all and you don't have to worry about authorization or passwords or anything else.

Patty, can I do that and still leave my LAN operational for my computer? I'm having one heck of a time getting him connected so I can finish uninstalling AVG and then installing Defender.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:57 am 
Fearless Leader

Sure, if you have an open Ethernet port on the router. Do you? My router has 4 Ethernet ports, for instance, and one is being used by a printer. If I needed to plug in a computer and didn't have any open ports, I could always temporarily unplug the printer. So it all depends on your setup and whether you have an open port or not.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

Instead of jumping to my suggestion of creating a new account, don't worry about the connection and follow the steps from that forum post to use Safe Mode to get to his account and disable the AVGwatchdog service (change to manual at startup). Once that's done, when you reboot and log back in, you should have connectivity again and can move on to removing AVG in its entirety using the removal tool from the AVG download.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:47 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Instead of jumping to my suggestion of creating a new account, don't worry about the connection and follow the steps from that forum post to use Safe Mode to get to his account and disable the AVGwatchdog service (change to manual at startup). Once that's done, when you reboot and log back in, you should have connectivity again and can move on to removing AVG in its entirety using the removal tool from the AVG download.
-steve

I changed AVGwatchdog to manual, rebooted and went to his desktop with no problem. But then I still have no connectivity. I went to Settings, turned the wireless network connection on (it was off). But the connectivity icon in the notification task bar still shows the wireless network connection to be off. Sure enough, if I exit Settings and come back in, the wireless network connection is then turned off. It's like it has a mind of its own. Very frustrating.

I'm about ready to try an Ethernet cable like Patty recommended. My only hesitation is I know that's not the way my friend connects at home (he has a LAN), and I was trying as best I could to duplicate his connections.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:54 pm 

You could always download the AVG removal tool on another system and run it on the problem system via a flash drive.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:05 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
You could always download the AVG removal tool on another system and run it on the problem system via a flash drive.

Jay, that's a good idea and might at least let me complete the removal of AVG. But I still need to solve his Wi-Fi connectivity problem so he can get on the internet, receive his email, etc.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:23 pm 

While I can't say anything for fact it is possible that the removal of AVG will take care of the connection issue. If not I'd imagine that the next step would be to remove the device in Device Manager and re-boot allowing Windows to re-install the device. Actually I would not even do a re-start but rather a complete shutdown removing all power before starting up again.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:33 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, the plot thickens.....working on my friend's computer is consuming my day, lol. Here's where I stand:
- I disabled his internal wireless adapter and plugged in an extra USB external adapter that I had
- I entered my router security code, my LAN was recognized, and I connected to the internet
- I then ran the AVG Removal Tool that Steve referenced; it warned that restart(s) might be required
- After about 5 minutes, the Tool requested a restart, so I clicked Restart
- The restart appeared normal....I saw the Toshiba splash screen, the blue windows icon, and spinning circles
- Unfortunately the circles kept spinning; I powered down and even removed the battery
- Powered back up and another Restart began.....spinning circles ongoing for 25 minutes

Any suggestions on what to do now? Even if I enter Safe Mode, I'm not sure what to look for.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:50 pm 

I'd wait for Patty or Steve to chime in but I would likely boot to recovery media and allow to fix startup issues.

Oh, if you boot to the recovery media, I'd probably remove all devices such as the adaptor you added.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I'm in Safe Mode now, looking around. All of the AVG programs are now gone in local services, so I guess he uninstall worked. I don't know what to do or look for next in Safe Mode.

Not exactly sure what you mean by recovery media. The Toshiba disk would take him back to Win 7. I have a Win 10 bootable disk that I created for my computer. Could/should I try booting from that?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:18 pm 

Like I said I'd wait for input from Patty or Steve but yes, Win 10 boot media was to what I was referring.

In the mean time I'd remove any USB devices and try a normal boot. If it does not boot you can always boot back to Safe Mode. From here you could do a Win 10 reset choosing to keep everything. Again wait for input as I'm just throwing out some possibilities.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:39 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, I will wait and see what Steve and Patty might suggest, although you have certainly given me some good ideas (as always). But I'm taking a short break.....it's my supper time, and then I got to go out and feed the deer, coons, fox, etc. Life goes on (damn Toshiba)...........

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:01 pm 

Just keep in mind, while a viable possible option, if Windows 10 is reset you can retain all data but programs would need to be re-installed. I would consider this a last ditch effort just due to the time involved re-installing programs. Not as bad as a clean install of Windows but still time consuming.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows