Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:12 am 
welcoming committee

I've mentioned this before, GG and I are looking at new pcs. Since both pcs are still running as smooth and fast as the day we bought them, nearly 5 years ago, I figured we would wait until Windows 11. Was reading articles yesterday which stated there will not even be anymore newly released Windows Operating Systems, that MS just plans to keep updating Windows 10. Some of these would naturally include major updates which would continue to enhance the user experience.

Is this true? No more Windows OS's except for updates? If so, then I might as well purchase a new pc sooner rather then later.
Thanks, Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:59 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hi Acadia,

I dropped out of the Insider Program but my understanding is that there are no 'new' OS versions planned.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:51 pm 

As an add-on... If you get the new systems you MAY want to consider Windows 10 Pro over the Home version. With the Pro version you can take more control of Windows Updates by using a quick tweak to set Updates to notify instead of fully automatic. I only mention this as I know that you prefer to have as much control of your system as possible.

LOL! I KNOW that it won't happen but I still advise, if doing a desktop system, that you build your own especially if you do not intend to keep using the old systems. They are really pretty easy to build and you have full control of the components. One BIG advantage is cost! My main system if bought retail is probably $1000.00 or more. I currently have ~$600.00 in the thing. The only real downside is that you have to deal with support for each component instead of have support for the entire system at one source.

If you do not intend to keep using the old systems my cost point is that you already have such items as the case, power supply, DVD, etc.. Basically you take the old apart and replace the old components with the new. I truly believe that even a novice can do this in 3 hours or less as long as they can follow instructions. I've not recently timed myself but I can probably do this in less than 90 minutes. What takes the time is all the updates and installs but even with a bought system you still have to do this. ;)

If you ever decide to take on such a project I'm sure that you know that myself and others here would be more than happy to guide you through the process. :)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:11 am 
welcoming committee

Another question, just of curiosity. Now keeping in mind that I do not know diddly squat about business, how does Microsoft plan to keep making money, at least in the amounts to stay in business, if it stops releasing new Operating Systems? Obviously they have a plan which I do not understand. Every time they released a new OS they made billions. But with Win10 everything is now free? I am sure that they know what they are doing, after all you don't become number one by being stupid, but my inquiring mind is aching to understand this.

Thanks, Acadia

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:27 am 

They are still selling Windows 10 with every new system purchased. Also the income from Windows does not compare with that of Office, games and other software and devices.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:38 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
They are still selling Windows 10 with every new system purchased. Also the income from Windows does not compare with that of Office, games and other software and devices.

Well that is actually kind of cool. That is the way Apple has always done it, as long as your hardware can support it, all newer Operating Systems are free. I have never had to pay for any new Operating System on my iPad or iPhone. But just hoping that MS can make this work because I have to admit, for desktops I still prefer MS over Apple because of my two most important issues: security and backup.

Acadia

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows