Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:07 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
BE PREPARED!

WINDOWS 10 MAJOR UPGRADE

POSSIBILITY OF ISSUES

DATE: APRIL 11TH, 2017

TIME: Any time after April 10th, 2017

April 11th, 2017 will start a ‘rollout’ of a major upgrade for Windows 10 called a Creator’s Build. This does NOT mean that you will get this upgrade on this date as it will go out in phases but you will get it.

I have done an early install of this upgrade and see two possible issues…

1) This upgrade MAY turn off System Restore on your system. It Is assured that this will probably happen.
2) This upgrade MAY change your sleep mode settings. This depends on your system setup.

My Recommendation is to check the following two options after the upgrade

1) For System Restore go to your Control Panel and make sure that it is set to icon view rather than category view to be able to follow; you will find this option in the upper right of your Control Panel.

Once in your Control Panel in icon view go to the ‘System link’. Click ‘System protection' within the left-hand menu. You will now be at System Restore settings.

Within this dialog you will see a heading of "Protection Settings". Click on your main drive, usually (C:), then click on Configure. Click the button to 'Turn on system protection'. Now use the slid bar to select how much of the drive may be used for system restore, I set at 20%. Click 'Apply' then 'OK'. Click OK again and System Restore is back on for your main drive and you can again use restore points to correct many issues that may happen.

2) On some systems this upgrade will change your sleep mode options under power options back to default settings. If you have never changed anything associated you should have no issue.

If you have changed sleep mode setting you know how to do so as you have done so before. Just set them back to what you want under Power Options in your Control Panel.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:33 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks Jay.....you are a good leader!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:40 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
You are welcome BB. I know that there has already been discussion but that was in 'Advanced'. I figured that a quick 'guide' might not be a bad idea in the general forums at a novice level. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:02 am 
welcoming committee

Yeah, I contacted Puget Systems where I am planning to purchase my next system, probably soon. I asked them when the Creator's Build would be included in the new systems. They said probably not until later this month, and not until they have thoroughly tested it. So I'm going to continue to wait on a new system.
Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:55 am 
welcoming committee

Acadia, I think you will like Win 10. I also was reluctant to switch from Win 7, but now I'm very glad that I did. I still run Win 7 in dual mode with Win 10 on my old computer, so I can go get my '7 fix' when I need it.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:14 am 
welcoming committee

Oh, yes, I am almost certainly making the jump to Win10 but not until I can get the Creator's Build already installed in a new system from Puget and it has been thoroughly tested by them. Puget is almost as brutal with their testing of new stuff as Peter is. :338:
Acadia

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:24 am 
welcoming committee

I have the creator's build in a VM, and also I've just upgraded a friends computer to Creators Build. It went very smooth and is running well.

Win 10 is getting better. Still some silly annoyances, but they are getting better.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows