Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:11 pm 
welcoming committee

I had no problem to install the latest version of Windows 10 this past week but one thing I am trying with is " auto-hide taskbar for my desktop ". No problem to auto-hide the taskbar in settings but after I put the slide turn on and see most of my desktop icons disappeared from the desktop on the monitor screen. So I decided to turn off " auto-hide taskbar " and all the desktop icons appear on the screen. Why is this happening to my desktop icons disappear? I thought when I setup the taskbar to auto-hide and all desktop icons stay on the desktop but it doesn't. My question is that how do I prevent the desktop icons from disappear on the screen after switch auto-hide taskbar turn on? Any ideas with this? I am sure some of you saw my message over at the other forums and so far no one give me a reply about this. If not solved then I guess that I have to contact Microsoft chat early next week to see if they can help with this.

John

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:25 am 
Site Admin

I just tested this on my PC that has upgraded to the Creator's Update, and I don't see the problem. However, I don't keep any icons on my desktop except the Recycle Bin. I added another shortcut and it remained when I set the taskbar to autohide.

-steve

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:21 am 
welcoming committee

Steve -- want to say thank you for letting me know about this. Yes mine is working but with the icons -- NO. Also am surprised to see you don't keep any icons on your desktop. You mentioned that you added another shortcut and it remained. That's what I need to know how to add another shortcut and stay on desktop. Hope you don't mind to share about this.

John

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:06 am 
Site Admin

I added a new shortcut on the desktop by right clicking the desktop and selecting New/Shortcut. The "wizard" launched which had be select where the shortcut would be pointed to and I browsed to a file in the Documents folder. Clicking the shortcut would open that file and the corresponding program, in this case it was Excel. When the icons are visible on your desktop, what are they? Installed programs or files or a mixture?
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:23 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I also have no icons on my desktop; not even the recycle bin...

I would suggest the possibility of creating new shortcuts after hiding the task bar to see if they remain.

To give an idea as to my having no icons on the desktop, and possibly how Steve does the same, here is a shot of what I get if I right click on File Manager on my task bar. Everything above 'This PC' are folders that I have pinned to File Manager. Say I click on 'Games'; it will open a window with all my games listed just as if I had double clicked on a desktop icon.

Why bother? I like a clean desktop. My 'wallpapers' are very pretty video files and I don't want them messed up with a bunch of icons. I even have my recycle bin located on my task bar.

Attachment:
menu.JPG
menu.JPG [ 45.7 KiB | Viewed 3142 times ]

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows