Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:57 pm 
welcoming committee

About a year ago in a thread entitled 'Why/How is Win 10 Suddenly Being Installed, Unwanted', we were talking about Microsoft automatically upgrading computers to Win 10 unless the user was very careful in answering questions and clicking on Red-Xs. Several CH members recommended running the program Never10 once the user had reverted to Win 7, just to preclude this unwanted upgrade from happening again.

In this thread, Jay stated that: My only real concern is Microsoft modifying the thing to where it changes the registry values to turn itself back on. Sad to say that I could potentially see this happening.

Well, it appears that this may indeed be happening, in some form or another. I just got a call from a friend for whom I had reverted his system to Win 7 and then installed Never10. This friend says suddenly he is getting a frequent and annoying popup asking if he's ready to convert to Win 10.

Has anyone else experienced this popup? Any recommendation on how I can keep this from happening on my friend's computer? Thanks in advance....

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:24 am 
welcoming committee

Hmmm, interesting. I have not had this issue, at least not yet. I do have Never10 installed. But even just yesterday when I did the monthly updates, Microsoft still tried to sneak KB2952664 onto my system. This is supposed to be one of the "snooping" and nagwares. Every month I have to untick it. Perhaps that is why I am not seeing any nagware? I don't know.
Acadia

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:35 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Acadia. I'll try and see if my friend has installed KB2952665. He is not too computer literate on matters such as this, so I almost have to visit him and sit down at his computer to see what's going on.

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:40 am 
welcoming committee

With the new roll ups it's no longer possible to untick a specifice update

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:18 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
With the new roll ups it's no longer possible to untick a specifice update

Pete, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that the ticks (changes) made to the Win 7 registry by Never10 are no longer valid?

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:35 pm 
welcoming committee

I am saying you no longer can select or unselect individual updates. They come as "roll ups" and are inclusive. So any one of them brings your machine totally up todate. Never 10 is really no longer relevant as they have stopped the push to get you to 10.

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:05 pm 
welcoming committee

Not sure what is happening here. As long as I kill KB2952664 every month, and I DO MEAN every month because it keeps reappearing, I've been OK. I really do want to jump to Win10 someday but on MY TIME schedule, not Microsoft's. Again, as stated many times before, this is my computer. If Microsoft wants to change things, fine, it is almost impossible not too in order to improve things. BUT LET ME bring your changes when I am ready for them.

Acadia

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:28 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
This friend says suddenly he is getting a frequent and annoying popup asking if he's ready to convert to Win 10.

Hi bbarry,

The wording you've used suggests that Windows 7 may have already downloaded the installation files for Window 10 and it's asking for permission to go ahead and upgrade.

You need to get your friend to run Never 10 and work out which screen he sees when he runs Never 10, if he sees "Windows10 OS Upgrade is ENABLED for this System!" then ask him if he see any information about x,xxx,xxx,xxx bytes in xx,xxx files and folders etc just above the Exit button... if he does then he needs to click on "Remove Win10 Files" to remove the downloaded Win10 installation files, then "Disable Win10 Upgrade" to remove the nag screens. [You can ignore removing the Windows 10 files but it uses about 6GB of space.]
cf: https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

If there is no option to "Remove Win10 Files" with no mention of bytes in files and folders then this suggests that Win10 has not been downloaded for installation, however he should still click on "Disable Win10 Upgrade"... and for good measure follow up by downloading and running KB3184143 from Microsoft:

Remove software related to the Windows 10 free upgrade offer:
Quote:
This update removes the Get Windows 10 app and other software related to the Windows 10 free upgrade offer that expired on July 29, 2016. For a complete list of the software removed by this Windows Update, see the update replacement information.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... rade-offer

As for KB2952664, i too was sceptical about this back when MS were "pushing" win10 but i no longer believe it has anything to do with GWX... telemetry perhaps, but not Windows 10:

Compatibility update for keeping Windows up-to-date in Windows 7:
Quote:
This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. The diagnostics evaluate the compatibility status of the Windows ecosystem, and help Microsoft to ensure application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows. There is no GWX or upgrade functionality contained in this update.
(Emphasis by myself.)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -windows-7

I hope that makes sense, and good luck.

Last edited by Doddie on Wed May 17, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:59 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
I am saying you no longer can select or unselect individual updates. They come as "roll ups" and are inclusive. So any one of them brings your machine totally up todate. Never 10 is really no longer relevant as they have stopped the push to get you to 10.

Pete, everything you say about updates is true, but this does not address my friend's situation nor my question. My friend recently started getting a popup asking if he was ready to convert to Win 10 (or words to that effect). He always clicks on 'No', but he is wondering why he is suddenly getting this annoying popup.

So contrary to what you say, it looks like Microsoft is again lightly pushing to get him to Win 10. And I'm asking why is this suddenly happening?

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:09 pm 
welcoming committee

@ Doddie - Thanks for all the good info. My wording may not be exact, as I have not seen the popup. I asked my friend to write down the exact wording next time.

Your suggestion of running Never10 is a good one.....I never thought of that, although I ran Never10 last year when I installed it on his computer. Unfortunately, he would not feel comfortable doing that himself, so I will just need to go over to his house and run his computer.

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:34 pm 
welcoming committee

You're welcome Barry and i hope it helps.

That said, running KB3184143 without Never 10 should be all that's required to remove the GWX nag screens, it worked for me when i formatted and re-installed at the end of last year so i see no reason why it shouldn't work for your friend now... i didn't bother with Never 10 back then because GRC (the authors of Never10) pretty much said Never 10 was redundant due to KB3184143 and I've had no issues since.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows