Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:48 am 
welcoming committee

Hi All, sorry if this was answered before but a search I did didn't bring it up. My computer is so bogged down right now I can barely type and see the print right away and I believe it's due to a Windows Update that is possibly downloading. Is there a way to tell if this lag IS due to a windows update IS in fact downloading?

I thought I changed this 'auto' download to 'letting me control this' so not sure why it would be, if it is. I went to the Windows Update tile and it doesn't 'say' anything is downloading, there is a 2 way arrow circle next to the words Windows Update, does this symbol mean there is an active download in progress? Under Update status it states "Your device is up to date. Last checked: Yesterday, 5:37PM" but I didn't initiate this 'check'.

Thanks so much for ANY ideas!!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:06 pm 
Fearless Leader

Hi Katy. No, that symbol doesn't mean it is currently downloading nor checking. and, as of the most recent update, you no longer have control over whether to download or install Windows Updates.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:28 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Hi Katy. No, that symbol doesn't mean it is currently downloading nor checking. and, as of the most recent update, you no longer have control over whether to download or install Windows Updates.

Thanks Patty for the bad news. :(

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:13 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
What is the size of your hard drive and how much free space? If you don't know how to check let us know.

Have you recently installed any software?

Have you run FULL security scans?

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:20 am 
welcoming committee

On my hard drive there is 361GB available. No I haven't recently installed any software. After I saw what Patty said, I did a Malwarebytes Threat scan but nothing was found. Before doing the scan I restarted the laptop since normally I keep it in hibernation overnite. During the day it's in sleep mode both shows the internet connection is closed. I'll do a full Defender scan now that you mention it, Thanks for the reminder! it's been a while for a Full scan. Since I did a restart of the laptop, the high energy sound is gone but in the 'run: Services.msc' does anything Running specifically point to a download?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Katy

I would shut it down, power it off, and then restart. I would suggest shutting it down everynight to clean the cobwebs out.

Pete

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:58 pm 

What Pete suggested is always a good first step. My main system is pretty much on 24/7 but I still power down now and then to, as Pete said, "clean the cobwebs out".

In this case I would go one step further by totally removing power. If a desktop power down then unplug from the wall. Hit the power button a couple of times and reconnect power. If a laptop unplug AND remove the battery. Again hit the power button a couple of times then put back the battery and power adapter.

Also, while not a probable cause, have you checked to see if the hard drive is heavily fragmented? Probably not as Windows defrag tool is probably set to automatically check the drive weekly unless you disabled the function.

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:44 pm 
welcoming committee

Ok, thanks Pete and Jay! The Full scan showed nothing was found. I could easily shut down each night for a wk of nights to make sure the 'cobwebs are out'. Also, i could remove the battery in this laptop and power down with no power going to the laptop on each of the nights I power down fully. I don't recall disabling the defrag as I would want that to routinely happen. But it's an option to try if it reoccurs despite above. I haven't seen the high energy activity happen since I started this thread so it's likely to definitely be part of keeping it on overnight for an extended length of time. The last time I shut down before was about 2 wks ago. I'll see how the above goes. Thanks All for all the help!!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:30 pm 

Don't remove the battery nightly. This step is only to totally reset stuff. A normal shutdown/restart now and then should normally suffice.

I take it that all is well at this time.

One of the things that happens when a system is always on is called 'memory leaks'. Each progression of Windows versions seems to get better and better as to memory usage but the same cannot be said about a LOT of popular software. A memory leak is a thing that should not happen but does in the real world. What happens is that you open a program and a certain amount of memory is allocated to run the thing. You exit the program and not all of the allocated memory is released back for system usage. Over time your available memory gets less and less ending up to the point that you just don't have enough available memory to effectively run things. A shut down or restart usually cures this.

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:14 pm 
welcoming committee

Ohhh ok, thanks Jay! I am anxious to see how much better things run after running these shutdowns (battery removal first time) but as I said it's been better already since shutting down and restarting this last time. This is a 5 yr old machine and it's battery has been on recall and I'd love to move my Office to a newer Windows 7 machine I have but this is Win10 so I'd like to keep it running 'plugged in constantly'.

Thanks for all the help and now the tip of "If a laptop unplug AND remove the battery. Again hit the power button a couple of times then put back the battery and power adapter." I would totally shutdown every night if I encounter this energy-drain surge more often but just for now maybe each week, Sundays.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:00 pm 
welcoming committee

Sorry if this was mentioned before. According to this article Microsoft with the new Creators Update is now giving Win10 users, especially those using Pro, more control over Windows Updates.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/31 ... video.html

Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:55 pm 

I expect my Asus Notebook will be getting it probably tomorrow, I've had the notice to check my privacy settings and that usually happened the day before on the desktops, after mine is done just Johns Toshiba Laptop to get it then.

Oh and here all the machines are turned off every night and turned off at the electricity point, I don't do anything with the batteries on the laptops, when John gets up in the morning he goes round and turns everything on ready for the day ahead.

OK it will be tomorrow just got the notice about new features do I want to restart now etc. I set the time for tomorrow morning, wasn't sure I'd have enough time tonight to do it especially as I haven't been around all my forums yet. :lol:

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows