Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi All, Just noticed this tonite, my laptop with the Roboform info was stuck at this message for a very long time; couldn't login to CH just to ask why this is happening since the laptop was stuck. A google search on a diff laptop showed this has been happening for a very long time! I was afraid to turn off the laptop due to the warning that it turns out is bogus. Doing a search with my other laptop brought up issues with this statement dating back to 2013 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 301?page=2 and none of those showed any solution. Only found 1 Utube that talked about making changes in Control Panel/Maintenance on a statement that I didn't have on my laptop that was hung up, so it didn't matter.

Is this part of a Windows Update that likely was stalling my laptop and is this the normal message from MS when an update is installing? Nothing was mentioned about an 'update' just Windows is getting ready, very frustrating. I see that the latest Windows Update on Patch Tuesday the 13th isn't far in the past and I believe my laptop was updating Windows yesterday or the day before, can't remember but I saw the 'Update and Restart' on my computer when I went to restart, otherwise there was NO way to know an update was even happening in the background. But this message Getting Windows Ready didn't happen until tonight. I was unable to use my computer during this time because I tried changing my background image to a diff Microsoft approved image and my computer locked up. I finally did restart and that's when this Getting Windows Ready message came up following the reboot.

Does anyone know why this message is still the same message that came up since 2013, with no reference to an update being done in the background and its imperative to not shut down that the update will be completed soon? Also, one poster from 2017 was still experiencing this lockup to the statement "Getting Windows Ready http://www.thewindowsclub.com/getting-windows-ready.

Thanks for any help from anyone!! I just have a feeling this isn't the last time this will happen and I'd like to be ready this next time. katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:34 am 
Site Admin

What is the current status of the machine?
Windows Update on Windows 10 will download and install updates in the background outside of hours you define as "active hours" in Settings/Windows Update.
If you restart the PC during active hours, the updates pending a restart will install. Some of that install can happen as the machine shuts down and part when it starts back up, before Windows starts. During the startup period, it is not uncommon for the display of "getting windows ready..." before or after there was a countdown showing percentage completed. You may also have an extended period of a blank screen. The experience is affected by machine capabilities -- processor, memory, drive speed, etc. -- and also by the programs/features installed on the computer that the update is applied to. And, lastly, there are cases where the update will fail miserably which could result in a roll-back automatically, or a stuck condition for an extended period.
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:09 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks Steve! Currently, I am using that computer, had to shut down to get it back. It did continue what I now see was an update (it would be great if the message would say Update in Progress instead of Getting Windows Ready) and restarted to complete it.

I went to Settings to see what my active hours were set to and realize active can only last a max. of 12 hrs. So I set mine to be active longer in the PM since I'm more likely to be typing at those hrs., but it would be nice if we were allowed more active hours. Is that something that future updates might address?

The hours outside 'active hours' is not restricted to me using my computer, is it? It just means that an update could begin while I'm using it and MAY account for a slowdown, correct?

In order for Windows to perform an update on non-active hours, would I need to keep my computer on and would 'hibernate' qualify as being available for updates or would I also need to leave my internet connection open during those hours? If that is the case, does Windows disconnect my internet when/if it completes its cycle or would my computer be online until I wake up the next day?

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

The ability to defer updates is something that people have been asking for. I don't believe it has been provided to the "home" version of Windows 10, only Pro.
Active hours means that updates won't happen during that window. If you are using your PC outside of that window, updates may be applied, but it shouldn't automatically reboot the PC while you're using it. At least I've never encountered that.
If the PC is off outside of active hours and doesn't wake to check for updates and perform updates, they will happen at boot and shutdown. If you let the PC wake from sleep to do updates, it should go back to sleep after applying any updates, based on your sleep timer settings.
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 pm 
welcoming committee

Would 'sleep' mean that it won't be recognized as an an open window for backdoor Trojans? That's all I worry about....

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:01 am 
Site Admin

When the PC is asleep it typically doesn't accept incoming connections unless you've configured the network adapter to respond to "wake-on-LAN" and even then malware isn't known to wake computers. Malware on an infected PC scans for other PCs connected to the network that have a port or ports open for it to exploit. Additionally, the kind of scanning malware is typically blocked by your router and firewall.
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:44 pm 
welcoming committee

I'll see how things go with the new settings on the Windows Update for active hours. Thanks very much Steve. katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows