Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:59 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I always thought that Lotus 123 was pretty cool. When I first left Ohio in 1987 and moved to Ft Worth Texas I got a job with a company that used Lotus 123. Without too much issue I was able to write a full inventory control system. Shoot, just for grins, I wrote a decent Black Jack card game with Lotus.

I do have an Excel Blackjack game if anyone wants but it is a bit buggy and will crash at times. Also macros need to be enabled; usually comes up as "Allow Content" or something like that...

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:08 pm 

I knew you lot would remember it if I hadn't remembered it. I quite enjoyed using it, of course I didn't know anything else as it came with the computer with Windows 98 which is the first time I'd ever used one, that was in 1998.

The only reason I didn't carry on with it is that we couldn't afford to buy the program when we had to have a new machine and went to a new version of Windows. :)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:14 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
... I never had any major problems with my iMac nor with the latest OS, but the learning curve was a little steep for me.....probably because I was so accustomed to Windows. The iMac was my 'toy', used primarily for photos, videos and music. Most of my work was done on my Windows PC(s)...

bbarry, may I ask you this: knowing what you know about the two different Operating Systems, if you were teaching an elderly person who had never even seen a desktop computer for the first time, yet assuming you knew both equally well (this may be an impossible question, I understand), which direction would you send them?

Let's forget about security and everything else, just three things: Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, and surfing the Internet. No gaming, no watching TV, no listening to music, no video or photo editing, just those three things mentioned above. Where would you direct them?

The reason I am asking: I am still thinking of making my new desktop computer an iMac. Even purchased 4 more books on how to do this bringing the total up to 7 books. Most of the folks here would be against this and I don't blame them, they have mostly been exposed to just one "religion", and it is a very large part of their lives. But given your experience I would greatly value your opinion. Please do not feel obligated to answering, if you do not answer I WILL understand, this can after all get kind of dicey. (You can always PM me if you want to answer, but again, you do not have too)
Thanks a ton,
Acadia

P.S. Unlike purchasing a new automobile where we have so many excellent choices, isn't a shame we have so few choices for Operating Systems.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:24 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
bbarry wrote:
... I never had any major problems with my iMac nor with the latest OS, but the learning curve was a little steep for me.....probably because I was so accustomed to Windows. The iMac was my 'toy', used primarily for photos, videos and music. Most of my work was done on my Windows PC(s)...

bbarry, may I ask you this: knowing what you know about the two different Operating Systems, if you were teaching an elderly person who had never even seen a desktop computer for the first time, yet assuming you knew both equally well (this may be an impossible question, I understand), which direction would you send them?
I would send them to an iMac. Several years ago my slightly younger brother (he was 64 at the time) was struggling to learn Windows 7 (he had never owned a computer before). So I bought him an iMac, made him a few 'how to' notes, and he loved it. In about a month he was asking me questions, so I went out and bought me an iMac so I could stay one-step ahead of him. I also enjoyed my iMac.

Let's forget about security and everything else, just three things: Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, and surfing the Internet. No gaming, no watching TV, no listening to music, no video or photo editing, just those three things mentioned above. Where would you direct them?
Still to iMac. Apple has its own equivalent of Microsoft Office called iWorks (documents, spreadsheets, and presentations). And today you can even purchase Microsoft Office for the Mac. As far as internet surfing, I used Apple's Safari with no problem. However, I understand that today you can use other browsers like Opera, Firefox, etc.

The reason I am asking: I am still thinking of making my new desktop computer an iMac. Even purchased 4 more books on how to do this bringing the total up to 7 books. Most of the folks here would be against this and I don't blame them, they have mostly been exposed to just one "religion", and it is a very large part of their lives. But given your experience I would greatly value your opinion. Please do not feel obligated to answering, if you do not answer I WILL understand, this can after all get kind of dicey. (You can always PM me if you want to answer, but again, you do not have too)
I don't mind answering at all. If I didn't have so much "stuff" on my Win 10 and Win 7 computers, I probably would have made a complete switch to my iMac. But after my brother died about 4 years ago, I gave his iMac to my son and I shut mine down shortly thereafter (I still have it). So I probably would not be the most helpful source of assistance for you.....however, I would certainly try to answer any questions. Plus I have a very close friend in Virginia who uses nothing but his iMac, so I could always go to him for answers I didn't know.
Thanks a ton,
Acadia
You are welcome......BB

P.S. Unlike purchasing a new automobile where we have so many excellent choices, isn't a shame we have so few choices for Operating Systems.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:30 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Acadia wrote:

Sorry Acadia but I can't resist... ;) With a car you have gas, electric and deisel. With a computer you have Windows, Apple and Linux. Seems like the same number of options to me. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:52 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Sorry Acadia but I can't resist... ;) With a car you have gas, electric and deisel. With a computer you have Windows, Apple and Linux. Seems like the same number of options to me. :mrgreen:

Sorry Jay but i can't resist... :lol: You missed an option, dual-boot Windows with Linux and that car could be a hybrid running on petrol and electric ;)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:29 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks, bbarry, for your candid answer. You're the fourth person I know who is either using both iMac and Windows currently or have used both in the past. As of this point in time Apple is batting a thousand, ALL FOUR OF YOU would recommend iMac, wow. My next step, if I remain serious about this and that is a big IF, is to drive to Lancaster, 50 miles, where there is an Apple store. I already phoned them and they have iMacs all set up for potential switchers to "test drive", sorry Jay couldn't resist.
Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:48 am 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
Thanks, bbarry, for your candid answer. You're the fourth person I know who is either using both iMac and Windows currently or have used both in the past. As of this point in time Apple is batting a thousand, ALL FOUR OF YOU would recommend iMac, wow. My next step, if I remain serious about this and that is a big IF, is to drive to Lancaster, 50 miles, where there is an Apple store. I already phoned them and they have iMacs all set up for potential switchers to "test drive", sorry Jay couldn't resist.
Acadia

IMHO, that is an excellent next step, to go and test drive. I recommend you prepare a set of questions before you go and make sure the Apple salesperson sticks to your script and answers all your questions (after first showing you a few of the iMac whistles & bells, lol).

Another thing you might consider....do any of the other three Apple owners live close enough to let you visit and play with their iMac computer?

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows