Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:40 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
You just need a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 Pro/Ultimate product key. Nobody 'told' the Microsoft Activation Servers not to still do this...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/going-pro ... 2179861831

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Cool. :-)

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:57 am 
welcoming committee

There was quite the (unexpected) discussion when I posted a link to Ed's article at SNF.

@sboots, I'm curious about your thoughts, other than "Cool", based on the strong opinion raised there (I promise I won't share anywhere).

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:45 am 
Site Admin

As long as the Ultimate/Pro key from the prior version of Windows is not tied to another PC, I see no problems with using this process to upgrade a legitimate copy of 10 Home to Pro.
On the other hand, I see little benefit to upgrading. The 3 primary features gained are Group Policy Editor, ability to fully utilize Remote Desktop as a Host PC, and Bitlocker. My primary desktop PC is running Home and my Surface Pro is running Pro. I don't currently have the need to do the upgrade on the desktop PC despite being sure that I've got an available Ultimate 7 key.
-steve

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:29 pm 

I would consider Group Policies a big plus as, if I'm not mistaken, the lack of in the Home version is the reason that Updates cannot be controlled.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:43 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Stephen, for reconfirming my thoughts. I elected not to continue in that discussion. :)

Jay, although I understand that many people have strong feelings about Windows Updates, I have never felt the need to avoid installing them when released. The only thing I've done in the past was to install .NET updates separately but those updates haven't been an issue in some time.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:15 pm 

I'm running Home and don't have any problems with the updates, I let it install what it tells me my machine needs to keep it updated. I don't always get them when they first become available but obviously when the system decides it's ready, which can be several days later, or in the case of the Spring Upgrade it was a few weeks.
I don't think there is anything in Pro that would benefit me.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:27 pm 

I do updates sooner rather than later myself Corrine. I don't turn off Updates. I just have it set to notify so I can install when I want.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:40 am 
welcoming committee

I've mentioned this before so sorry for the repeat. I totally kill Win Updates but only because I have a security program that would remove them. Otherwise I would leave Updates on all the time and allow them all the time.

I kill them using a program that works perfectly, Win Update Stop available at NoVirusThanks. Every morning when I turn my pc on, first I do two backups using two different programs. Then I kill the Win Update Stop program which now allows Updates. Then I manually check for all updates and allow them all. Then I once again turn Win Update Stop on which again kills the updates and then and only then I turn on that security program that would have removed them.

I've been doing this for 2-3 months and it works perfectly. Plus I get to see the updates as they happen which is something that I have always insisted upon, seeing, as much as possible anyway, what MS is doing to my system.

Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:35 pm 
welcoming committee

@ Acadia - I am impressed with your thoroughness, but I am confused by your paranoia regarding Win 10 updates. If you manually check for all updates and then allow them all, what is the need for Win Update Stop? Or are you saying that after you allow the updates, they are then killed by Win Update Stop? If that is the case, why do you allow the updates? Now you have me really confused, lol.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:25 pm 
welcoming committee

LOL, understood. I have absolutely no problems with Win10 updates ... but one of my favorite security programs does, it kills EVERYTHING, like it is supposed to, just doing its job and what I paid it to do. Win Updates is just one of the many getting eliminated (temporarily). So I keep Win updating turned off until the next morning when I do all my updating FOR EVERYTHING then kill all updating and reactivate that one of my favorite security programs (but not my all time favorite, the baddies still have to get past the first line of my defense before meeting what I am talking about).

Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:49 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia, I'm still not sure I understand what you are doing, but I am convinced that you understand...and that's what's important. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:31 pm 

Let me take a crack on this... :mrgreen:

Acadia almost always runs in a sandbox. Windows Updates will work fine in that sandbox and install but, when the sandbox is left, the updates are gone. Acadia has to exit the sandbox and then install updates for them to be permanent. Under this scenario it is just a waste of time to install updates when sandboxed.

How did I do on explaining Acadia? :)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:16 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
How did I do on explaining Acadia?

Half decent, almost full decent. I do use a sandboxing program (my favorite security program) but actually it is not the program that causes me to act so "weird". The program that I have mentioned many times above and in other threads is one of those programs that "freezes" your system (all drives even external, at least mine does) in a certain state. You must be certain that your system is pristine and pure of malware or even the malware gets frozen and therefore protected! But you then continue to use your system like you normally would, just understand that none of this will be remembered by your hard drive tomorrow, your system is just having a bad or good dream, when it "wakes up" nothing ever happened!

When I reboot every morning my system gets unfrozen and returns to the state that was kept protected but is now writable. Everything I did the day before after enabling the freezing program, no longer exists. All baddies get wiped out as if they never even existed (if they somehow got through Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, and Voodoo Shield), but also any work that I did on Word docs or Excel spreadsheets also get wiped out, it is LITERALLY as if I had never used my pc the day before. If you wish to use it, the program has a feature for saving simple documents from extinction when you reboot, this feature "punches" a hole thru the program to permanently save a simple file. Then after rebooting I can do all my recovery backups, updating Windows and other programs, etc. You cannot even make a recovery/backup of your system if the freezing program is enabled, even your multi-Gigabyte backup would be wiped out the next morning. Sandboxing programs only protect certain things, most commonly your browser, much in the same way except that you do not need to reboot, precious. Like I said above, these "freezing" programs protect your entire system not just your browser. And yes, absolutely no problem using both a sandbox and freezing program at the same time (even on top of WD, MB, and Voodoo)!

Acadia

PS: this post was edited many times by poster

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:24 pm 
welcoming committee

Well, Acadia, I'm even more confused after reading this multi-edited posting. I mean, if Jay is only "half decent", you can only imagine how lost I am. :hmm3"

But I do have a suggestion. I understand that your wife is an excellent proof reader and editor. So maybe you could have her take a look-see and covert your posting into an understandable description of really what goes on within your computer after the sun goes down. Just a suggestion.... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:55 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
... I understand that your wife is an excellent proof reader and editor. So maybe you could have her take a look-see and covert your posting into an understandable description of really what goes on within your computer after the sun goes down....

Heh, I confuse and befuddle that poor woman enough as it is ...
Acadia

Perhaps the two websites of those two excellent (in my opinion) programs can explain them a lot better than I ever could.

My sandboxing program: https://www.sandboxie.com/
now owned by Sophos, one of the oldest names in trusted PC security.

My freezing program: http://www.shadowdefender.com/
There are only a couple of other programs out there that do something similar. My former employer used one of them since our pc's were open and available to the public (I worked at a library). Our library staff constantly saw patrons sticking in USB keys into the desktops. The IT staff needed a way to RECOVER the c:drive of every pc, a bunch, every morning. Perhaps what they were using was excellent but the library's pc's only had a c:drive, I have many. ShadowDefender is the simplest to use and is the only one that I know of that protects ALL your drives, even external.
Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:12 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia, thanks anyway. But I think I will just stay confused. I just don't have the stamina to try and understand two programs that I will never use. You know what you are doing, and that's what's important.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows