Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:19 pm 
welcoming committee

@dvair - David, I think you use File History. I am trying to, but I can't seem to get it to populate all of my folders and files. For some reason, it only backs up older data files (through 2022) and it totally ignores my data files generated in 2023 and 2024.

For example, I frequently use Microsoft Word and have generated many document files in 2023 and 2024. None of these files are currently being backed up by File History.

Is there a key to having File History first populate with all my existing files before going forward?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:36 pm 
welcoming committee

I have it turned on, but haven't really used it that much except to restore a single file here and there. I don't think I have actually used it in a year or so. Whenever I have used it, I do it through the properties of the folder I am working with and use the Previous Versions tab to see what the older file are.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:52 pm 
welcoming committee

David, thanks for the insight.

I have a question. If you were to look at the contents of File History on what ever drive you are using, would it show all your current files? For example, let's say you generated an Excel spreadsheet yesterday. Would this Excel file now appear in of your File History listings?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:07 am 
welcoming committee

I just reset the File History and it is populating now. It is currently showing all files that are present in My Documents, I know when it runs it makes copies and it shows the date in the name. Sounds like there was a hiccup in your system, maybe since you were using One Drive, it might be the cause as I have never used One Drive for storing anything. Could be a reason for the old stuff showing and not the newer as maybe the newer stuff was being synced to One Drive.

Just added a file to one of the folders that is backed up by File History, it doesn't go in right away, so I would imagine it is backed up hourly, which is the schedule for File History to back things up.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:16 am 
welcoming committee

David, I am also thinking that OneDrive was my problem. I know it filled up with 5 GB of data before I deleted OneDrive. And in the process of deletion, I might have deleted some of my current files. But I have all my data files backed up on a flash drive. Now I just need to figure out how to copy these files back to my C drive and then hopefully to my File History.

Thanks for your help. It's past my bedtime, but I will continue our dialog in the morning. (I'm 86 years old, so I need my rest, lol).

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:31 am 
welcoming committee

Once the files are in their normal location, File History will grab them when it does its scheduled backup. Just do a normal copy and paste from the Flash Drive to the Folders you want them in.

File History picked up the test file I made during its normal cycle.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:25 am 
welcoming committee

David, does this mean that I can copy/paste them from my flash drive to my C drive>Users>folder? I hope so, because this is where the files are missing.

Glad to know that File History is working correctly, as it should for me once I get my files corrected.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:59 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Yes, you can just copy/paste.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:27 pm 
welcoming committee

I finished all the copy/paste, and now my C drive>Users>bbarry>folders are all current and agree with the folders shown in My Computer.

And now File History is working as it should, since it gets its data from the Users>bbarry folders. These folders had gotten all hosed up when I deleted OneDrive out of total frustration.

Thanks again to David, Steve and Jay for all your help.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:51 pm 
welcoming committee

You may want to go in and redo your File History settings, just so you start out fresh.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:56 pm 
welcoming committee

David, I think I'm OK. File History is now backing up my older files, as well as my newer files that I lost when I deleted OneDrive. FH has already backed up 114 GB (I have lots of data files).

That being said, I am not sure what you mean by redoing FH settings. Which settings? Do you mean delete all the files that FH has thus far backed up and start the backup process again?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:02 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes, I was thinking about deleting FH and starting the process from scratch, but as long as it is doing what you want it to, just leave it as is.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows