Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:38 pm 
welcoming committee

Suddenly I can't do any searches using the taskbar eyeglass icon on my Win10 computer. When I hover over it, I see the words "Type here to search", but it won't let me type anything. I tried the Search Troubleshooter but that didn't help.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Can you left click on the hourglass to open a flyout?
Is your search icon on the taskbar just the hourglass or is it the hourglass and a search box?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:38 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve, a left click does nothing. A right click opens a menu (I guess what you are calling a flyout). One of the menu items is Search, where I have the option of showing the search icon or the search box (but not both) on my taskbar. Even if I choose to show the search box, I still can't type anything inside the box.

On my task bar right now, my search icon is just the hourglass. As stated above, I can't show both.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:43 am 
welcoming committee

Steve, after perusing some online websites, it appears to me that I am missing the SearchUI.exe file. Could this be the cause of my problem? If so, how do I get this file back?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:16 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I don't show a search-box or icon at all in either Windows 10 or 11 as I have it set to hidden. I just click Start then type in my query. Just as a test try clicking Start and then type something.

Here is about all I found on SearchUI.exe:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22SearchUI.exe%22
And here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searchuiexe-is-missing/4b61a38e-6f9a-4886-93fb-9c88abbf28c3

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I clicked Start but can't type anything.

From one of your references, I see that SearchUI.exe has been renamed SearchApp.exe. But this file is also missing on my computer.

I r.an sfc /scannow. It said it found and repaired some corrupt files, but my search function still doesn't work.

What should I try next? The search function was something I really used a lot.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:59 pm 

Actually this should have been the first thing I suggested. Do you have a restore point from berfore the issue? If so do it.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:06 pm 
welcoming committee

No restore points before this issue.

EDIT: Should I try a PC Reset (keeping all my data files)?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:32 pm 

If you do a reset even keeping your data you will still lose all installed apps.

See if this helps any. If not let's see if anyone has any further insight.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-the-searchappexe-or-search-uiexe-windows-10/390948e4-11b6-41ea-b928-04628fbec515

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

I'm stymied. I just read the Answers thread that Jay referenced and it's a mystery there, too, for someone with the exact issue. That person ended up doing the Reset with the option to keep files. It is a "hit it with a hammer" solution, but it apparently worked. You will likely need to reinstall programs and apps and manually redo any personalization you've done to your system, but if you need the Search box functional, that will be the quickest way to fix it.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:00 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
Jay, I clicked Start but can't type anything.

What should I try next? The search function was something I really used a lot.

Just curious, did you check your Search Settings?

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:12 pm 
welcoming committee

BillG, I checked all the search settings I know about via Task Manager (specifically, Processes, Details & Services). As far as I can tell everything looked OK except that I am missing SearchUI.exe and/or SearchApp.exe.

Are there other settings I should be checking?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:22 pm 

BB, other than having to reinstall apps a reset would probably fix. For you the biggest issue I would see is your virtual XP machine that you use for some really old software. As long as you keep your virtual hard drive and the associated virtual machine settings this should not be much of an issue as you would just point VirtualBox to the existing virtual machine files.

Another potential issue is if you have all your install media and key codes. If I were to do this I'd go to regedit and then do a backup of the registry before doing the reset. This would only be done if you don't have all the key codes for your software. Reinstall all your software and then restore the registry backup as key code activation is almost always kept in the registry. For this to have a decent chance of working you would need to make sure that your user account and computer name are the same as they are now. It has been so long since I've done a system reset that I can't remember if you need to redo the setup stuff such as user name but just be prepared for the possibility.

To avoid all the re-installs and a reset you may just look at the following list of Windows search alternatives. Since I have not used any of these 'top 10' I can't advise so, if you want to try this option make sure to look at reviews for these apps Look at negative reviews to see issues.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-search-alternative-tools

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:49 pm 
welcoming committee

Yea, Jay, my virtual XP machine remains very important to me, which I first installed years ago with your help. I had rather do without the Search function than take a chance on screwing up my applications.

My troubles started a few days ago when I suddenly got notice that OneDrive was full (red X's). Since I never asked for OneDrive nor ever knowingly used it, I installed it. At that point I realized that some of my data files were missing. I guess OneDrive took them along when I did the uninstall. Luckily I had these data files backed up on a flash drive, so I was able to recover them.

But then I ran into some unusual problems, e.g., when I did a restart all my desktop icons had been rearranged, suddenly my taskbar Search function was no longer working.

Although I am typically a big fan of Microsoft, One Drive is the worse program they ever forced on me...it borders on elder abuse, lol.

I am also a big fan of Computer Haven, so I would continue to welcome any help in restoring my Search function.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:12 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Yea, Jay, my virtual XP machine remains very important to me, which I first installed years ago with your help. I had rather do without the Search function than take a chance on screwing up my applications.

My troubles started a few days ago when I suddenly got notice that OneDrive was full (red X's). Since I never asked for OneDrive nor ever knowingly used it, I installed it. At that point I realized that some of my data files were missing. I guess OneDrive took them along when I did the uninstall. Luckily I had these data files backed up on a flash drive, so I was able to recover them.

But then I ran into some unusual problems, e.g., when I did a restart all my desktop icons had been rearranged, suddenly my taskbar Search function was no longer working.

Although I am typically a big fan of Microsoft, One Drive is the worse program they ever forced on me...it borders on elder abuse, lol.

I am also a big fan of Computer Haven, so I would continue to welcome any help in restoring my Search function.

One drive tends to be automatically installed with Windows or Office.. With Office you get 1TB of on-line storage but the first thing I do is to uninstall one drive as I'm not an advocate of web storage, I like to keep my data strictly local.

Personally I'd take a good look at the third party Windows search alternatives I linked. Actually both of the top two listings look pretty interesting. While your Windows search function would remain broken, at least until the next feature update, either would give you the search functions you need.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:37 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay...I will look at some of the third party search alternatives.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:00 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Thanks, Jay...I will look at some of the third party search alternatives.

Some DO look interesting but would need to be tried. The thing is if they patch into the Windows search. If that is the case they may fail. Still, if one fails, I'd just try another.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:20 am 
welcoming committee

Although not listed in the link Jay posted i use WizFile for searching my files and folders and have ever since i moved to Win7, i found the Win7 search function woefully slow and cumbersome, it's also free for personal use.
https://antibody-software.com/wizfile/

The 'About' page says it bypasses Windows and reads files directly from the Master File Table instead:
https://antibody-software.com/wizfile/about
Quote:
What makes WizFile so fast?

When scanning NTFS formatted hard drives for files (most modern hard drives use this format), WizFile reads the hard drive's Master File Table (MFT) directly from the disk. The MFT is a special hidden file used by the NTFS file system to keep track of all files and folders on a hard drive. Scanning for files this way completely bypasses the operating system (Windows) and provides a huge performance boost. Scanning this way allows WizFile to build it's internal file database very quickly so it's ready for use in as short a time as possible after it's started.

WizFile also supports non NTFS hard drives, network drives, USB drives and individual directories.

I don't know how often you use search, or how you use it, but the WizFile quick start guide does list a lot of wildcards etc that it supports that might help you make up your mind if you'll find it useful:

WizFile Quick Start Guide
https://antibody-software.com/wizfile/quick-start

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:22 am 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
BillG, I checked all the search settings I know about via Task Manager (specifically, Processes, Details & Services). As far as I can tell everything looked OK except that I am missing SearchUI.exe and/or SearchApp.exe.

Just go to Settings/Search

There are a number of options there.

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:04 am 

BillG wrote:
bbarry wrote:

Just go to Settings/Search

There are a number of options there.

I could be wrong Bill but I don't think settings are going to work as it seems that BB is missing the core search .exe file. Still there is no harm in checking the search settings.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:29 am 
welcoming committee

@ Doddie - thanks for that suggestion. I will add WizFile to my list of alternatives.

@ BillG - Thanks for the reply. Jay is correct in that I am missing the SearchApp.exe file, so the Settings options are not helpful.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:07 am 

bbarry wrote:
@ Doddie - thanks for that suggestion. I will add WizFile to my list of alternatives.

@ BillG - Thanks for the reply. Jay is correct in that I am missing the SearchApp.exe file, so the Settings options are not helpful.

Hmmm, I don't know your security setup but look at your quarantine files in your security app for the missing file and see if you can restore and exclude from further scans if the missing file has been hit by your security app.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:26 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, I use MalwareBytes and there are no files in quarantine.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:40 am 

If you also have Defender active how about there? Other than that possibility I suggest that you save the time cost of a reset and setting up your apps and just use one of the third party searches.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:06 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, I know that a Reset would delete my applications, so I certainly don't want to do that. But what about a Repair with an In-Place Upgrade? I read where that might solve my Search problem, but that sounds like that might be an overkill.

I don't have Defender active.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows