Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:28 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This is already resolved and is just for info.

I reinstalled Acronis True Image to make new boot media and lost weather and store as apparently Acronis thought they were bad. If this ever happens to you you can get back the store using Power Shell (Admin) and entering the following command. Copy/paste works fine. After getting back the store I just reinstalled Weather.
Code:
Get-AppXPackage *WindowsStore* -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:29 am 
welcoming committee

I do a custom install of Acronis and just install the base program with none of the real-time protection stuff. I make the new versions of the bootable media and then uninstall it.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:17 am 

dvair wrote:
I do a custom install of Acronis and just install the base program with none of the real-time protection stuff. I make the new versions of the bootable media and then uninstall it.

LOL! Trust me, in the future I'll also go with the custom install. ;)

I can't actually prove that Acronis killed the Microsoft Store and Weather but, if not, it was one heck of a coincidence. Actually I'm glad that I checked before uninstalling as Acronis quarantined 21 files. Most of these were old games I have installed that need excluded from scans. Nothing wrong with them but they have an on-line high score feature that modern security sees as a threat. The on-line feature hasn't been functional for many years but is part of the main .exe file.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:56 am 

Ya know, David, something has always bugged me about Acronis but it may actually be my fault. I have always chose to do the clone using the setting to replace the drive in my system. This works fine but always changes my BIOS boot order to the clone as the first boot option. I'm doing a clone right now but selected the clone to be used on a different system to see if it leaves my boot order alone and I still end up with a bootable clone.

Actually I now have three 1 TB M.2 drives on my main system, two are WD Black and the other WD Green. The WD Blacks read/write a little faster than the Green but that is probably due to the Green being Gen 3 while the Blacks are Gen 4. I assume that the Blacks being gen 4 allows them to read/write slightly faster than a gen three even though in a gen three slot. I use a Black for system and the Green for the clone. The other Black is now my data drive and runs pretty slow in a PCIe X1 slot but still a lot faster than the old spin drive data drive with an interface card as the X1 interface only has one lane while the Green, in a X16 interface card has four lanes.

The reason that I decided to use the Green as the clone drive is that Acronis shows the drives as Black and Green which helps prevent my selecting the wrong source/destination drives. I just know to select the Black for source and the Green for destination. ;) Just part of the KISS principle. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:20 pm 
welcoming committee

I always use the "To Replace" option, but all my drives I clone to are USB attached so I disconnect them before rebooting and my Boot order isn't changed.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:36 pm 

I tried the option for use in another machine and it still changed my boot order but wasn't conclusive as I had started a replace and aborted to go with another machine so it MAY have already changed my boot order before I aborted. Keep in mind that I've been testing with Acronis installed and doing through Windows.

My clone drive is internal so I can't just unplug. While I DO set the clone drive to be off line for security reasons that, of course, does not matter as to booting.

Interesting thought as to going external for clones as I happen to have an M.2 USB enclosure. I'll have to think about that. I could pull the M.2 internal off of the interface card and put in the enclosure. It would take a lot longer to clone but I would just do when I go to bed or whatever. I could then mount the 500 GB drive that is currently in the enclosure on the 16X interface card or move the data drive from the 1X interface card to the 16X but I don't really need a super fast drive for data. Some things to think about... :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:51 am 

Well, dang! Just a clone today from boot media and, once again, MS Store and Weather were gone. Something kind of weird with this as that should not happen. Using a newer version of True Image and think I'll go back to my old and trusted 2018 version. Just weird as I can see no reason that doing a clone should kill these two apps. :dunno: If I remember tomorrow mayhaps I'll search a bit on it.

<edit>
Actually, even though quite late, I'm not feeling tired so did a quick search on this issue and found a thread on the Acronis forums on the issue. Their solution is the same as what I initially posted about restoring the MS Store and they blame it on Windows which I don't buy at all as there is no such issue with Acronis 2018. I don't even remember why I even bought Acronis 2024 but I did. If, when making the purchase, I'd realized that it was now subscription bases I would not have bought but that doesn't relate to the issue and I will kill the subscription. I don't care what they say about it being a Windows issue as it just seems like a cop out. This is an Acronis issue but they don't want to admit this fact. If it were to be a Windows issue the same issue should be present with Acronis 2018. It is like when Peter Norton sold out to Symantec and Norton Security went to the pits. Shoot, I tried Acronis 2021 when it came out and it would not even succeed in making a bootable clone.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows