Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:04 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Not any real issue or anything but I tend to, sometimes, get irritated with the rounded corners on app window when resizing the window in Windows 11. Sure the rounded corners look nice and I like it in that aspect but they can make it hard to grab the corner to resize. I DO believe that I could get rid of the rounded corners but am trying to more get used to them. Like I said, no issue but I find it mildly bothersome.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:42 pm 
welcoming committee

I had not actually noticed that. But then I just plod along. Where is the corner exactly when it is rounded?

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:57 pm 

BillG wrote:
I had not actually noticed that. But then I just plod along. Where is the corner exactly when it is rounded?

The actual corner is the junction between the vertical and horizontal lines of the window which can't actually be seen.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm 
welcoming committee

Fired up my first Win 11 laptop this week - didn't even know how to turn it off. If the GIU is not intuitive perhaps it ain't finished?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

davros wrote:
Fired up my first Win 11 laptop this week - didn't even know how to turn it off. If the GIU is not intuitive perhaps it ain't finished?

If you didn't find the Power icon -- Start Menu and the Power icon is to the lower right of your Profile name. Clicking that yields Sleep, Shut Down, and Restart as options. Clicking your Profile yields Lock and Sign Out, plus other profiles on the device that you can switch to.

You can also right click directly on the Start icon to bring up a menu that includes "Shut down or sign out."

Additionally, you can go to Settings and configure what you want the laptop power button press to do. I typically use the power button to put the device to Sleep if I'm not going to close the lid. It can be configured to trigger shut down on depress.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm 

davros wrote:

Yes, if it is a new system there is a setup procedure that you will have to do. It has to setup your account and such. It will want you to setup a Microsoft account with a pin number for login but this can be changed to a local account after setup if you prefer. If you will be installing Office 365 it tends to be easier to just stay with the Microsoft account.

It will also insist on sending diagnostics data to Microsoft, I just allow required data not allowing optional data.

There will also be a screen for permissions. I only allow location as it is handy for such things as weather, news and maps.

The system is basically useless until you go through this process.

Oh, if you are like me you will hate the taskbar being centered by default. It is an easy settings change to put it back to aligned left.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm 

sboots wrote:
davros wrote:

If you didn't find the Power icon -- Start Menu and the Power icon is to the lower right of your Profile name. Clicking that yields Sleep, Shut Down, and Restart as options. Clicking your Profile yields Lock and Sign Out, plus other profiles on the device that you can switch to.

You can also right click directly on the Start icon to bring up a menu that includes "Shut down or sign out."

Additionally, you can go to Settings and configure what you want the laptop power button press to do. I typically use the power button to put the device to Sleep if I'm not going to close the lid. It can be configured to trigger shut down on depress.

Ya know, On a mobile device such as a laptop I tend to set the power settings for the lid to 'do nothing'. My reason for this is that, if I happen to be on the road, I can include a large flash drive or external drive enclosure with movies and such. Plug the HDMI cable from the device to a motel room's TV and I can close the lid and watch movies on their larger set. I also have a wireless mouse/keyboard in the device sack so I can then basically use the device/laptop as a low profile system for anything with the lid closed to avoid the built in screen from being a distraction. Actually, when I first moved into my apartment I did this exact same thing with my, now 12 year old Asus laptop (still running fine with Windows 10 but retired), before I built my now backup desktop system. Doing this it was effectively no different than running a desktop system except that it was actually a laptop.

Oh, davros, if you are going to stick around here get used to things tending to get a bit off the actual topic once an issue seems solved. Often the tangents we go can give interesting info that you would never even think to ask about such as my above basically showing how to use a laptop on a larger screen just like you were using a desktop system. Also pay attention to the top menu bar. I sent you a PM earlier that you have not read. In this message I told you about splitting a topic. The menu option is "new messages" and will be proceeded with the number of messages. You can also select an option in your user ppreferences to throw up a small pop-up notices saying that you have new PMs.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows