Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:54 am 
welcoming committee

Understand I am still using Win7, so many of you may not have seen this. I was COMPLETELY caught up with Windows updates, not needing any more, but yesterdays update Tuesday gave me 27 more. They were all checked so I tried to do them all at once, like I usually do. As normal, the system required a reboot but it got stuck in a loop stating that updates had failed, restoring, but kept rebooting and getting that message, three times; I was unable to boot into my system. Well you know me, good old Instant Recovery to the rescue, back to normal.

Tried it again only installing the Office updates this time, I usually find those to be the most benign. No problem, everything worked, made another backup.

Tried some more updates leaving out the Silverlight and .net Framework updates ... HELLO, caught in same loop, unable to boot into Windows, again IR to the rescue.

Tried again, this time allowing the Silverlight and .net Framework, but unchecking all the many security updates for Win7. Worked! Did not even require a reboot but I always reboot anyways after MS updates.

Anyone, still using Win7, have any idea which of those security updates was hosing my system?

Moral of the story: BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP. :happy62: I am almost scared to think of what many others around this planet are doing at this moment, unable to boot into Windows, it could not have been just only me. I believe System Restore usually works in these cases, doesn't it? Hopefully folks know how to use it especially if they cannot boot into their system.

Acadia

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:44 pm 
welcoming committee

I had no problem with the Win 7 updates, had 25 or so too. I had been breaking them up, doing all the office ones first, then do the malware one by itself since these ones usually don't require a reboot, then doing the rest of the system updates. Yesterday I did all ay once and had no problems.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:54 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, dvair, I'll probably install a couple at a time instead of trying them all at once.

Acadia

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

All of them installed on my Windows 7 overnight automatically without issue. Well, one issue. After the system rebooted, it failed to fully enter sleep mode and I had to power off and back on to reboot it this morning, but that happens on occasion with no updates. ;-)

-steve

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:03 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Same here, ran the full gauntlet of updates at one time without issue.

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:27 am 

To be honest I've not been to look at my 7 desktop but hubby turned it off last night and said there were 30, the machine turned itself off after it had downloaded and installed so till I go look I'm not sure if they all worked.

My 8.1 Asus was a different story, I went to check with Windows Update in the afternoon and it told me the machine would reboot in one day to finish installing updates.

Didn't know what they were or how many but I clicked the button to restart now. it went through all the usual steps to download and install, reboot don't turn the machine off while it's configuring etc.
After I was back at the desktop I went to see what had been installed and was told there were 22 updates. OK perhaps they split them, told it to download and install went through the reboot session again, went back to Windows Updates again to check there was 1 optional to do but first I went to the update history.

22 updates were showing as failed followed by 22 updates successful. That is the first time it's happened, usually I have no problems with the process and I always do all the ones they show in one go.

Just been to check my desktop and there are 3 today, net framework and a couple of 7 updates, just told it to download and install and I'll check it later.

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:05 pm 
welcoming committee

Ok, got them all to install after breaking them up. But even with the last batch my system froze and I had to do the "hard kill". But after that everything worked just fine except yet another update appeared, but that installed just fine. Now to GG's system ... :wacko2:

But seriously, at least there were only 27, then an extra one. When I played with Linux for a few years there were many times a hundred EVERY MONTH, and never less then several dozen. I always laughed whenever I heard Linux users complaining about all the MS updates every month.

Acadia

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows