Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:59 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I won't deny the issue of getting Windows.old can be difficult to remove. In fact, even with taking ownership of the folder I still could not get rid of all of it. Since what was left after I deleted what I could was not a large drive space I just left it alone and, to be honest, forgot about it.

Since you brought up Windows.old I went ahead and took a peek. It is in fact gone so my guess is that the pages that said it would go away on its own would seem to be correct in relation to Windows 10. Will it go away in Windows 7? I just don't know. Both of my Windows 7 installs were done from scratch so the Windows.old folder never applied.

Now here is where I see a problem with what you did...
You did a new install of Windows 7 due to the previous being infected. Since you DO have a Windows.old folder you did not allow the Windows install to format the drive giving you a 'clean install'. The problem here is that the infection was probably carried over to the new install as is indicated by AVG detecting issues in Windows.old.

As to myself I would never re-install Windows due to an infection without at least formatting the drive. You may want to seriously consider starting over and format the drive during the install. I cannot answer as to if you actually have an issue right now or not. It may well be that the fact that the hits by AVG are in the Windows.old folder may be a plus. It could be that the 'desired' path for the infections are broken by being embedded in the Windows.old folder. Then again it may not.

I would not trust the ifs/or and mayhaps. I would start over allowing the install to format the drive.

Some may disagree on the following but my opinion would be...

I don't know your exact setup but assume/hope that you do have a backup of your data. Make sure that your data backup is secure on another device such as an external drive.

The following assumes that you have a single drive with a single partition.

Re-install Windows using the 'Custom' option. Select advanced drive options (or something like that) when available.

Delete the partition and create a new partition just for Windows and installed programs. This can vary but for my systems I go with around 150GB for the system drive. If you are using a large drive, 1TB or larger, don't be afraid to give the system partition up to 250/300GB of space unless you have a LOT of data such as 500GB or more. All the rest of the drive space is going to be for your data.

OK, setting up the data partition...

While you are already in a basic partition manager while doing the above setup for the system partition you can do it right there. After setting up the system partition you will now have a drive setup with the addition of a lot of what is called unallocated space. You would right click on that unallocated space and select to create a new basic partition. Select to format. You can also skip this step and set up the data partition once Windows is installed via drive management. I just figure why not set it up all at once...

Just continue the install making sure to select the proper partition for Windows.

Copy all your data from the data backup to the partition setup for data. Do it in folders such as documents, pictures, music, etc..

The final step would be to go to each Library in Windows Explorer and then Properties. You would then go to the Location tab and browse to select the location of each category on the data drive/partition.

It sounds complicated but really is not. Myself and others can lead you through each step.

Why separate your system and data drives/partitions?

1) To keep the system drive/partition lean and mean. ;)

2) Redundant backups.
a. I hope that you do system images and your external drive for this is larger than your internal drive.
b. You partition the external according to your internal drive size to allow for a complete system image including both the system and data drives/partitions.
c. You use the rest of the external space for a redundant copy of your data. Windows and installed programs can be replaced, lost data cannot.

I have thrown a lot of info at you and am sure that you may have questions. Make sure that those questions are all answered before doing anything drastic. ;)

Who? Me? Drastic? Do anything radical or extreme? Never :rofl2:

Anyway, I read everything and decided that I did not want to risk getting the networking problem all over again with a clean install. I decided to remove the Windows.old but rather than just delete it, I moved it to a usb hard drive. It would not let me move everything though but well over 240gbs are no longer on the Lenovo Think Pad. A window popped up asking me if I really wanted to move 235 system files and I opted to let them stay. There was also another file, Windows.old000 and I did the same with that and moved it to the usb hard drive. Once that was all done, I ran the complete computer scan again, 619,145 files and there were no issues so at this point, I have gained the space back and everything is working ok. Well almost everything :roll:

I have a problem using the F keys as most of them do not work. I think this is a driver problem. Also the screen is way too small to read and it used to have a magnifier which is no longer there.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:48 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As I believe Steve said earlier in this thread it may be necessary for you to download and install software from Lenovo for all function key features to work.

You would need to enable the Magnifier via Ease of Access in your Control Panel.

How do you mean that the screen is too small? Does it not fill the entire monitor or is everything on the screen too small? If it is the latter your display resolution is probably set too high. You can fix this by right clicking on the desktop and selecting Personalize. At the lower left select Display. In the upper left select Adjust Resolution. The lower the resolution the larger items will appear on the screen.

Now, if it is a case where the desktop items (icons) are too small but, if you open a window everything is OK, you can just right click on the desktop and select a larger icon size under View.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:16 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
As I believe Steve said earlier in this thread it may be necessary for you to download and install software from Lenovo for all function key features to work.

You would need to enable the Magnifier via Ease of Access in your Control Panel.

How do you mean that the screen is too small? Does it not fill the entire monitor or is everything on the screen too small? If it is the latter your display resolution is probably set too high. You can fix this by right clicking on the desktop and selecting Personalize. At the lower left select Display. In the upper left select Adjust Resolution. The lower the resolution the larger items will appear on the screen.

Now, if it is a case where the desktop items (icons) are too small but, if you open a window everything is OK, you can just right click on the desktop and select a larger icon size under View.

Hi Jay, that solved everything but the F keys not working. I have downloaded everything from Lenovo that they have to offer and it still does not work. Actually what I am trying to do is disable the "touch pad" and from what I have read, you need to click on one of those F keys that is not working and change some settings. Do you think there might be a work around to disable the "touch pad" ?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Found this:

•Download and install the ThinkPad Configuration Utility from the IBM/Lenovo website, if it is not already on your ThinkPad.

•Open the Configuration Utility and click on "Accessibility Options" on the left pane of the window.

•Click on the drop down box next to the text line "FN key lock" and choose "Enable" from the options given.

•Click "Apply." An icon labeled "FN" will appear on your system task bar to alert you that the FN lock is enabled.

•Press the FN key twice to lock the key and allow the use of FN keys without having to press the FN key each time.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_6151270_enable- ... nkpad.html

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:32 pm 

I was typing while David posted above. Figured that I'd leave the following as it may add some other info...

The touchpad would show as a device in the system BIOS. You could disable there. Not sure if it was in my BIOS or a software setting on my Asus laptop but I was able to partially disable the touchpad by selecting an option to disable if a pointing device (mouse) is connected. To me this is the ideal situation as, if my mouse is turned on the touchpad is disabled. Turn off the mouse and the touchpad is automatically enabled.

I can't say that I know how the Lenovo site is set up as to downloads but with my Asus it is by category; drivers, utilities and software. Make sure that, if there is a division of categories, that you look at all. You may well find that there is an option for a utility named something like auto update. If you find something like this install and run, let it do its thing then uninstall. Keep it handy and install and run now and then but always uninstall after the run as these things usually can be a pain as they may trigger unwanted re-starts. If such a utility is available it SHOULD check your system against what is currently available and then apply updates to system drivers. software and utilities. It SHOULD also look for missing software and drivers. I don't know if Lenovo has this but I find it a handy utility on my Asus.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:06 pm 
welcoming committee

What model lenovo. The function keys are a bit weird, in that they don't work like they do on normal keyboards. It's like you have to Shift F1 to get F1

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:50 am 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
Found this:

•Download and install the ThinkPad Configuration Utility from the IBM/Lenovo website, if it is not already on your ThinkPad.

•Open the Configuration Utility and click on "Accessibility Options" on the left pane of the window.

•Click on the drop down box next to the text line "FN key lock" and choose "Enable" from the options given.

•Click "Apply." An icon labeled "FN" will appear on your system task bar to alert you that the FN lock is enabled.

•Press the FN key twice to lock the key and allow the use of FN keys without having to press the FN key each time.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_6151270_enable- ... nkpad.html

I cannot find any page on the Lenovo site that will allow me to download anything for Windows 7 now, it just shows downloads for Windows 10 and even that does not work. Just a day or so back, I was able to go to a page that would identify my Lenovo Laptop and give me options for drivers to download but it is no longer doing that.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:32 am 

Since Windows 7 is, by some, considered to be antiquated look for a possible link that may signify legacy drivers or something along that line.

Also look for a menu option, such as a pull down option, that allows you to choose the applicable OS.

Sigh, the above is accurate but reads sort of cryptic. Just look for an option that allows the selection of a specific OS.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:37 am 
welcoming committee

The support website looked messed up to me yesterday but seems OK right now.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:07 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Since Windows 7 is, by some, considered to be antiquated look for a possible link that may signify legacy drivers or something along that line.

Also look for a menu option, such as a pull down option, that allows you to choose the applicable OS.

Sigh, the above is accurate but reads sort of cryptic. Just look for an option that allows the selection of a specific OS.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product ... &linkTrack

That page shows my options and I have tried all that seem to apply to my problem. Below is a pic of the options

http://picpaste.com/Lenovo1-LxOWtR8h.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:30 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
The support website looked messed up to me yesterday but seems OK right now.

Yes, it seems to be working ok now for me too.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:40 pm 

Have you used the software/utilities option?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

I believe this is the one you need to install:
Hotkey Features Integration for Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit), XP and 2000 - ThinkPad
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product ... s/DS014985
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:52 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I believe this is the one you need to install:
Hotkey Features Integration for Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit), Vista (32-bit, 64-bit), XP and 2000 - ThinkPad
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product ... s/DS014985
-steve

Hi, that download is one of the ones that I have already installed. Nothing seems to change the way the F keys are working. Right now, the FN-F1 Key brings up a Microsoft Page on how to use Internet Explorer 11, FN-F2 and FN- F3 do nothing, FN-F4 shows the desktop but in doing so, it closes out the page so you have to start all over, FN-F5 refreshes the page you are on, FN-F6 does nothing, FN-F7 asks if I want to turn Carat Browsing on, and the rest do nothing.

The real problem that I have is that it is almost impossible to type on the keyboard without touching the "touchpad" and if I do happen to touch it, it
does any number of crazy things. As an example, I might be typing something in Google Search and I add Lenovo downl........and at that point I touch the "touchpad" and it sends me off to who knows where. At this point, I have taped a CD over the "touchpad" and everything works ok so for now, that is my solution to the problem.

I want to again thank everyone for your help.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Did you install both of these?
Lenovo Enhanced Performance USB Keyboard
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product ... s/DS102384
Synaptics ThinkPad UltraNav Driver
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product ... s/DS019164

And perhaps this one?
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product ... s/DS012808
-steve

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:10 pm 
welcoming committee

You should be able to turn off that touch pad. I agree they are one huge pain

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:03 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Did you install both of these?
Lenovo Enhanced Performance USB Keyboard
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product ... s/DS102384
Synaptics ThinkPad UltraNav Driver
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product ... s/DS019164

And perhaps this one?
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product ... s/DS012808
-steve

I installed each of these Steve but there were no major changes after I finished. I also checked the bios to see if anything in there might help and under keyboards, there was the "default" which is where it was set and the other option was "Legacy" and I changed it to that. Legacy is supposed to cause all the F keys to operate as shown on the small icon on each F Key, and a few of them did such as the speakers and opening various other windows, the desktop etc; but still no options to turn off the touchpad.

My Dad was over and I had him cut the bottom off a blank CD and I printed a CD Label and put over it so until something better comes up, that's my fix.
:rofl2:

http://www.picpaste.com/Dsc00562-qsGpY9Xc.jpg

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

It may be a long shot, but on the download page is a contact support link. You might want to open a case with Lenovo. There may be a piece of software or a driver that is valid for your model, but not linked on the download page for your model.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:44 pm 

Also I would think that there would have to be an option in your BIOS to enable/disable the touchpad. Of course such a BIOS setting would only to be used if you never intend to use the touchpad... although, if needed, it could be re-enabled.

As a start I would look for settings groups such as Advanced BIOS Setting or Integrated peripherals. Also keep in mind that the setting may not actually say touchpad, it could be pointing device or other variants. As long as you do not disable the actual keyboard 'playing' with different BIOS settings along this line is not really dangerous as you can always go back in the BIOS and select to restore defaults.

I haven't been able to seem to find a list of your BIOS settings and will probably have to download the entire manual. While it has probably already been stated could you please post the actual model of your Thinkpad? There are several versions of this system.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:24 am 
welcoming committee

On the touchpad thing

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht075599

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:41 pm 
welcoming committee

chasbox wrote:

This is exactly where I need to go to make the changes but the FN-F8 key on my keyboard does not work.........
+00

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:44 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Also I would think that there would have to be an option in your BIOS to enable/disable the touchpad. Of course such a BIOS setting would only to be used if you never intend to use the touchpad... although, if needed, it could be re-enabled.

As a start I would look for settings groups such as Advanced BIOS Setting or Integrated peripherals. Also keep in mind that the setting may not actually say touchpad, it could be pointing device or other variants. As long as you do not disable the actual keyboard 'playing' with different BIOS settings along this line is not really dangerous as you can always go back in the BIOS and select to restore defaults.

I haven't been able to seem to find a list of your BIOS settings and will probably have to download the entire manual. While it has probably already been stated could you please post the actual model of your Thinkpad? There are several versions of this system.

It is a thinkpad edge E520 i5 2410M 2.3GHz 4gb ram 500gb 7200 HD

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:45 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
It may be a long shot, but on the download page is a contact support link. You might want to open a case with Lenovo. There may be a piece of software or a driver that is valid for your model, but not linked on the download page for your model.

-steve

I will give that a try Steve, thanks

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:08 am 
Site Admin

Here's another possible workaround to try:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6151270_enable- ... nkpad.html

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:13 am 
Site Admin

Found this version of the hotkey utility which appears to be newer than the one listed from the download list for your laptop and your laptop is identified as a supported model:
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds031814

fingers crossed. :-)

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows