Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:32 pm 
welcoming committee

A hardware issue caused me to do a system image restore on my older Win 7 computer hard drive. Since I don't use that computer very often, my system image was about 6 months old. So I figured I better go see what critical updates I needed to install after my restore. But my system would not update; I got the 8007000E error. FYI, I run Windows Ultimate, Service Pack 1.

I then ran Microsoft's Windows Update Automated Troubleshooter. Several issues were found and fixed, with the exception of one that yielded this Error Report:
RootCause: RC_DataStore
Error Code: 0x80070003

Needless to say, I don't know what this means and I still can't perform a Windows Update. It won't even list any available updates or show the updates previously installed.

I Googled the problem and found a Microsoft Report that discussed 13 Methods of solving the problem by means of other tools such as CheckSur.exe and SFC.exe, as well as registry changes. But the Report cautions "don't try this at home".....it is intended for use by support agents.

So I would appreciate some help/guidance on what I should do next.....I'm pretty good at following directions. Thanks in advance.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

I just encountered this on an old laptop that is rarely used. I tried to get it updated before my wife took it with her for a trip. Same issue. I gave up as it was late in the evening before her trip that she even told me she wanted to take the laptop with her....
The error generally means that there's a problem with the Windows Update catalog on the PC. The troubleshooter should fix it (didn't in my case or yours), but often requires manual efforts involving stopping the WU services, renaming the distribution folder, and then restarting the service -- followed by a painfully long rebuild of the WU catalog. I'm not sure when I'll get back to trying to resolve the laptop issue. I might simply do some surgery on that machine to remove an unused Vista partition (used to be dual boot) and simply upgrade to Windows 10....

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:20 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I just encountered this on an old laptop that is rarely used. I tried to get it updated before my wife took it with her for a trip. Same issue. I gave up as it was late in the evening before her trip that she even told me she wanted to take the laptop with her....
The error generally means that there's a problem with the Windows Update catalog on the PC. The troubleshooter should fix it (didn't in my case or yours), but often requires manual efforts involving stopping the WU services, renaming the distribution folder, and then restarting the service -- followed by a painfully long rebuild of the WU catalog. I'm not sure when I'll get back to trying to resolve the laptop issue. I might simply do some surgery on that machine to remove an unused Vista partition (used to be dual boot) and simply upgrade to Windows 10....

Thanks for the response Steve. I'm going bugged-eyed reading about all the possible solutions, and some do look scary. If I find one that works for me, I will let you know.

Seems that many users have this problem after they have done a reinstall. Many blame the slowness on Microsoft serving the Windows 10 users at the expense of the Windows 7 users, i.e., Win 10 users get expedited, preferential treatment, lol.

I've been thinking about installing Win 10 on this computer, so that may also be what I end up doing.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:30 am 
welcoming committee

Steve, I'm happy and proud to say that I finally found a solution that worked for me, after trying several recommended fixes. What I did was to install/run December's update (KB3112343) to the Windows Update Clients, which I found at:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb3112343

After running it, I went to Control Panel>Windows Update and clicked on 'check for updates'. Then I went to bed; when I got up this morning all the missing updates had been installed (both Important and Recommended, although I usually ignore Recommended). Indications were that the updating process took about 5 hours, probably because I had not updated in about 6 months.

Anyway, hopefully this will work for you. Regards..........

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:42 am 
Site Admin

I'll have to check that solution when my wife gets back with the laptop. Thanks for sharing your solution.
-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows