Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:27 pm 
welcoming committee

My only concern, other than complete failure, is that I have duplicate files in strange places, not determined, selected, or chosen by me.

I never fixed it, because I'm sure it's more complicated, as in how did most of my saved documents end up duplicated in Music & Pictures in the first place? And the main thing is even had I moved and deleted (as was first suggested) duplicates, even today, files still move into Docs, Pictures, and Music folders.

Should I expect this kind of thing to be fixed?
Thank you.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:36 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Before you actually do anything have you looked at the properties of your Libraries to see if you have duplicate entries? For instance, if your documents library were to happen to be included in your pictures library both would show.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:46 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay,

I haven't spent any time trying to figure this out. It's too complicated. - So, no.

But I do know that I can make changes in one copy that will not be changed in another copy.
Working on install now so I won't be able to tell you anything else.
Thank you.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:04 pm 

OK, if you are doing a fresh install it is too late to check what I suggested anyway.

You really should wait for answers before going ahead and doing things...

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:27 pm 
welcoming committee

I couldn't update because my Windows version is newer than the update.

You are absolutely correct, but I didn't know I was doing this today and I certainly didn't know who would be around to answer me. I"m still waiting about two weeks for Stephen ---- but I am NOT complaining.

I didn't remember I had this upgrade disk.
Should I lay the custom install on top of my current and screwed up Win 7 partition or should I keep it partitioned for the Win7.old folder and delete partition later?

I am waiting and will check library.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:34 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay,

Happy New Year!

In Music Library, I have odd files - the same (more or less) excel, txt, & pdfs through the LINKS library, only. Other three locations are fine.

In Pictures Library, I have five locations - broken down monthly, it includes excel, txt, & pdfs, in addition to pictures that I saved to the Pictures file. It's a very full library - and much larger than music.

I didn't check each title, because I know from Search that duplicates exist. I also know that this verifies the fact that I have real dupes, not shortcuts, in places I did not create.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:40 pm 

For the most part I have no idea as to what you are trying to say in your last post. Sorry, I don't mean any kind of insult, but that is plain fact. For instance it makes zero sense that you have an update that is older than your Windows install. Windows Updates cannot possibly offer an update that is older than what you already have.

Personally I think that your system may be seriously infected. I know that you have ran scans but, I the system was already infected, the scans may not be accurate.

<edit> We seem to have been typing at the same time. My above reference about your last post actually refers to the one before.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:13 pm 
welcoming committee

I have an upgrade disk (from Vista - or somebody suggested I pay less). I chose upgrade, not custom install.
As it prepared to install, the message said that my current Windows version is more updated than the Update version, so I have to Custom install windows 7. My current - on the laptop Windows version is more upgraded or updated than the disk. Why is that confusing.

I wasn't insulted.

What about partition?

TY

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:22 pm 

You cannot do that. You cannot upgrade to an earlier version of Windows.

I'm sorry if this sounds like an insult but, in my honest opinion, the cure for your system is for you to hire someone else to run it.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:43 pm 
welcoming committee

I am not updating or grading to an earlier version.
I am doing a CLEAN install.
I am not insulted - all I have to do is run CUSTOM.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:57 pm 

NO! You do not just have to choose Custom!

Have you backed up all your data? If not all your records, emails, etc. will be gone. A clean install means just that. It is a bare install just like a brand new system. If you have any data files on the install drive they will NOT survive.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:47 pm 
Fearless Leader

Nancy, is it beyond your means to hire a professional to do a clean install for you, preserving the necessary data before wiping the drive, and then set it up? Because this forum is not meant for doing such things remotely. It is a beginner's forum and is not intended to walk people through complex procedures which may result in disaster, either if we forget to tell you something, or you don't understand the instruction given.

My moderator's are getting upset with constant requests to do this sort of thing, things that need an on-site professional. They do not want to damage your system or cause you data loss. This is a big concern of mine and theirs. This simply is not a remote procedure, other than for an advanced power user, which you are not.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

nancy wrote:
I"m still waiting about two weeks for Stephen ---- but I am NOT complaining.

Thank you for your patience. The weeks leading up to Christmas and then this past week leading to New Year's has really been crazy for me. I've not forgotten about you, but I just have not had time to get back to it.

For reference, is this machine that you are planning to clean install the very same machine with the other problem?

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:59 am 

MacDuffie wrote:
Nancy, is it beyond your means to hire a professional to do a clean install for you, preserving the necessary data before wiping the drive, and then set it up? Because this forum is not meant for doing such things remotely. It is a beginner's forum and is not intended to walk people through complex procedures which may result in disaster, either if we forget to tell you something, or you don't understand the instruction given.

My moderator's are getting upset with constant requests to do this sort of thing, things that need an on-site professional. They do not want to damage your system or cause you data loss. This is a big concern of mine and theirs. This simply is not a remote procedure, other than for an advanced power user, which you are not.

Nancy the above is why I have tended to respond less and less. What you go deeper and deeper in asking is really beyond the scope of a help forum without the risk of causing more harm than help. You really need a hands on pro right now.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:25 pm 
welcoming committee

I have been busy.
I understand not wanting to offer advice on what is not a basic or simple troubleshoot.
I forgot.
Some things that I feel I am capable of doing, I will do. When I think it's beyond my capability, then I will happily pay a pro. It's really a shame that I have been so self-sufficient (not really), as I don't have a reputable tech on call.

I do suggest, though, that when you think my questions are too advanced for this forum, or for me, that you say something instead of ignoring me.

Thank you.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows