Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:15 pm 

I want to make sure that I did the right thing before doing the uninstall and reinstall of my Windows 7 Ultimate operating system. I decided to go ahead to uninstall the operating system of Windows 7 Ultimate from my old laptop which is Toshiba Satellite A210-MS9. I will reinstall this on my other computer which I have on my desktop with a 240GB solid state drive. What I will plan to do with the old laptop is to format the hard drive then recycle the laptop at the local Best Buy store. And will do the reinstall of Windows 7 Ultimate operating system on the desktop. Will that work with uninstall and reinstall on 2 different computers? I see something online about " How to use Slmgr to Change, Remove or Extend Your Windows License." Will that work to remove my windows license first then uninstall the operating system and reinstall the operating system in my other computer in normal procedure. Let me know about this before doing this.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:34 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
You have not given enough information for an answer.

Is the Windows install on the old computer from a retail install disk or is it OEM? If it is OEM it is likely that it will not work on the second system.

I have no idea as to what 'Slmgr' is but, if it circumvents proper licensing, it is likely to not be legal.

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

SLMGR isn't something you need to use. This is the tool used for manipulating Windows Activation status.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 02540.aspx

If you have a retail Windows disc, wiping the existing PC and using that disc on another PC is perfectly legal. During activation, it is unlikely you will need to perform any extra steps, but even if you need to call, it can be done.

If your Windows disc is an OEM disc supplied by the PC maker, it is tied to the machine it came with and cannot be used on any other computer.

-steve

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:19 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As a side note...

If the install is OEM you might just consider returning it to factory condition and looking at the following possibilities.

If you are going to recycle/donate the old system is there not a local charity or civic help group that might be able to make constructive use of the old system, possibly even a school? Even if the install is not OEM such a group might be able to make productive use of the hardware.

Why not think about donating it to a family with kids that cannot afford a system. When I had my computer business I would offer clients a discount if they would donate their old equipment if I were doing a build or hardware upgrade. I would then take the parts and put together a workable system and donate it to such families.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows