Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:54 am 
Fearless Leader

I don't think you need to use both data backup programs. I would use the Win 7 Backup utility to do your system images (it does it on schedule), but I would use Win 10 File History to do your data files. It is much safer, and more user friendly.

And by the way, I use File History and also use SyncToy. So I have two data backups. Can't have too many backups! (Right, Acadia? ;) )

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:31 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Can't have too many backups! (Right, Acadia? ;) )

BINGO!!! There actually was a time, about 4 years ago, that I had to turn to my third backup to save me (the built-in Windows7). But it was from my messing around too much, with boot sectors and such, that prevented the others from working. :fun84: Also this was before I had Macrium.
Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:28 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
I don't think you need to use both data backup programs. I would use the Win 7 Backup utility to do your system images (it does it on schedule), but I would use Win 10 File History to do your data files. It is much safer, and more user friendly.
I know I don't need both programs; it's just that I had already been using Win 7 Backup utility for both data files and system image. But I think I will now do as you advised.

And by the way, I use File History and also use SyncToy. So I have two data backups. Can't have too many backups! (Right, Acadia? ;) )
As you know, I also use SyncToy. Plus long before I started using these backup programs for my important data files, I would save them to a USB flash drive each and every time I saved them to my hard drive. So for example, when I create or change an Excel spreadsheet, I save it to my C drive and to my USB flash drive. And now it gets saved via SyncToy and File History. My personal data files are important to me. :D

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:06 pm 
welcoming committee

File History has been on all day, so I just looked at what all had been saved. After I drill down to the Data folder, it contains two subfolders: C and $OF.

The C folder I understand, and I do indeed see a lot of my data files there....Documents, Favorites, Music, etc.

But I don't understand the $OF folder. It contains several numbered folders (e.g., 221, 474, 8956); each of these numbered folders appear to contain either Internet Shortcuts or Photos.

What is the purpose and intent of this $OF folder and its weird contents? Do other users of File History have this folder?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:25 am 
Fearless Leader

Hi Bb. I have one also. I'd never looked at it before. Generally folder names that begin with odd characters like that are system folders, so I don't pay any attention to them. I took a look, and similarly, I've got a ton of numbered folders there. I checked the first dozen or so, and they all contain classical music files - all Mozart, oddly enough! I really don't have a clue what the system is doing with that. I should probably scroll down quite a ways and see what else might be there.

So I did that, and the great majority were still classical music files, but of various sorts. Then there were misc files toward the end. About 17 GBs total.

I don't know, Bb, but I wouldn't disturb that folder. I'm sure that File History is using it for something.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:35 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Patty. I read elsewhere that it has something to do with long file names (after File History adds its notation) and the fact that Windows does not yet know where to put these files. My $OF folder is not yet as large as yours........only 257 MB (189 files).

Just curious......can you tell whether any of your Mozart files made it to the proper folder on your C drive backup, or are they still stuck in limbo in the $OF folder? I'm still trying to verify that in my case, but it is difficult because I don't know exactly where these files originally came from on my C drive.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:13 am 
Fearless Leader

Makes sense. Yes, mine also made it to the appropriate normal backup folder.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows