Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Re: default programs
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:24 pm 
welcoming committee

I still have FrontPage 2003 installed alongside Office 2010 with no issues.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:29 pm 
Fearless Leader

OK. Office 2016 (365) might be a whole other matter though. I'm not even sure I'll have the time to dig it up. I don't do a lot of playing with my machine anymore. I like a nice, stable machine these days. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:35 am 
welcoming committee

Yep, me too. I find I am doing less and less on the computer now a days.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:45 am 

I've just taken 365 off of my machines here. Got it when it was half price last year but couldn't afford to renew when the notice came through last week.

I had Office 2010 installed on mine and hubby's desktop plus his laptop so when I got my Notebook I still had my copy of Office 2007 so installed that on it, still have another 2 licences for that.

I took backups of all work on the machines then un-installed 365, just had to re-activate Office on the machines and everything was working, didn't even have to use the backups.

Glad you got your answers Patty, I know I have the CD's of an early version of Office, it might even be 2000, but of course when I need it to look at I can't find it, it's somewhere among the many computer related items, CD's etc.

Just found the CD for Microsoft Intellipoint 4.2, wonder if that will install on 10. It wont let me install the latest version for my mouse, ok it's just a Wheel Mouse Optical but I can't change the behaviour of the middle button, I used to have that set for double-click, oh well. :-)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:23 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Note Doddie's suggestion of getting rid of PSP7.

I would probably not mess with 128 updates trying to figure out which to remove. I'd probably use System Restore to drop them all then just install a few at a time looking for the issue to appear.

My system is now restored Jay and everything is working again. I now have 128 important updates listed in the control panel that are ready to install and updates are turned off. I really don't see any reason to go looking for an update or updates that caused the problem in that the computer is working fine the way it is. I'm sure you don't agree with this but unless something else develops, updates are over. Thanks again for all of your help.

I forgot something. The Jasc version of PSP7 works great on Windows 7 but the help files no longer work, however I was able to run the help files on XP

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:00 pm 
Fearless Leader

Yes, the help file type is no longer supported after XP.

Allyson, if you're willing to try - find those updates that say they are security updates and try installing those a few at a time. I don't know how many that would be on Windows 7.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:42 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Yes, the help file type is no longer supported after XP.

Allyson, if you're willing to try - find those updates that say they are security updates and try installing those a few at a time. I don't know how many that would be on Windows 7.

I looked at them and about 45 are security updates for Net Framework and 78 are security updates for Windows 7 x64 based systems and 5 are a mixed bag. The computer is working fine at the moment so I am going to hold off doing anything right now.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:18 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I fully understand your hesitation as to installing the updates considering your desire to continue using PSP7. Still you must understand that by not installing any of these updates you are allowing your system to be more susceptible to exploits and infections.

If it were me I'd start with the 5 'mixed bag' updates. If PSP7 is broken it is easy to narrow it down. I would create a system restore point first to make it easy to undo.

I would next do all the Windows security updates in one batch as I doubt that they are the issue. I would, of course, create another restore point first.

Assuming that all is well as I think it would be you are left with only the 45 for .NET framework. If I am correct in what I think would happen to this point I would install 3 .NET framework updates at a time checking the functionality of PSP7 between each set of installs and creating restore points between each install.

Once the problem update is isolated just hide the nasty critter. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:08 pm 
welcoming committee

Joan, I still use Intellipoint 8.2 on my Windows 10 machine, I am able to set all my mouse buttons (Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 - 5 buttons).

Also still using Intellitype Pro 7.1 because I am still using an Microsoft Office keyboard.

Intellipoint 8.2 32 bit : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=26947

Intellipoint 8.2 64 bit : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=26948

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:56 am 

dvair wrote:
Joan, I still use Intellipoint 8.2 on my Windows 10 machine, I am able to set all my mouse buttons (Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 - 5 buttons).

Also still using Intellitype Pro 7.1 because I am still using an Microsoft Office keyboard.

Intellipoint 8.2 32 bit : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=26947

Intellipoint 8.2 64 bit : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=26948

Thank you for the links, just downloaded and it's working. I know when I tried before the version I tried to download gave me a message that it wouldn't work on my machine. :)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:11 am 
Fearless Leader

David, do those buttons on the Office keyboard work? I still have 2 of them, but haven't used them because the software wasn't supported. Awesome keyboards, only the old IBMs were better.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Buttons work just fine. I cheat and select that I am using an Internet keyboard in the Keyboard Control Panel settings. Only one that doesn't is the wheel.

I had my original one for years until I spilled some liquid on my desk and it seeped through a seam into my F lock key. Luckily I found some online that were still affordable. Wore the letters right off the WADS keys :D

Last edited by dvair on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:23 pm 
Fearless Leader

Gosh, maybe I should sell mine! LOL

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:08 am 

JoanA wrote:
dvair wrote:

Thank you for the links, just downloaded and it's working. I know when I tried before the version I tried to download gave me a message that it wouldn't work on my machine. :)

My Windows 10 is on my Asus Notebook so it has the built in keyboard software. My Microsoft keyboard is on my desktop which runs 7 and that will stay at 7 it's CPU isn't compatible with 10. I have the Microsoft Natural Ergo Keyboard 4000 - UK Layout on the desktop.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:57 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I fully understand your hesitation as to installing the updates considering your desire to continue using PSP7. Still you must understand that by not installing any of these updates you are allowing your system to be more susceptible to exploits and infections.

If it were me I'd start with the 5 'mixed bag' updates. If PSP7 is broken it is easy to narrow it down. I would create a system restore point first to make it easy to undo.

I would next do all the Windows security updates in one batch as I doubt that they are the issue. I would, of course, create another restore point first.

Assuming that all is well as I think it would be you are left with only the 45 for .NET framework. If I am correct in what I think would happen to this point I would install 3 .NET framework updates at a time checking the functionality of PSP7 between each set of installs and creating restore points between each install.

Once the problem update is isolated just hide the nasty critter. ;)

Hi Jay, according to this article below, starting in October, Windows 7 users will no longer have the option to choose what updates they want!!! you have the choice to accept what MS forces on you or you can opt out of updates. As for me, I have already chosen.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... 2cac1a7c27

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:58 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
While an interesting read I do not see the validity of the article. Sorry but I consider Forbes to be entertainment at best. Look at one of the main embedded links within the link you provided. Within the image link it states that MS confirms a new monthly charge for the continued usage of Windows 10. This is NOT going to happen. This is just not true in relation to a personal user and could not be done as MS would be breaking MANY Federal laws by doing so after advertising that 10 was free for the full lifetime of the device.

As to the possibility of all updates being grouped into one patch I cannot really comment as I'm not all that concerned. I would not accept a Forbes article as fact until I saw the results on my system.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:27 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
While an interesting read I do not see the validity of the article. Sorry but I consider Forbes to be entertainment at best. Look at one of the main embedded links within the link you provided. Within the image link it states that MS confirms a new monthly charge for the continued usage of Windows 10. This is NOT going to happen. This is just not true in relation to a personal user and could not be done as MS would be breaking MANY Federal laws by doing so after advertising that 10 was free for the full lifetime of the device.

As to the possibility of all updates being grouped into one patch I cannot really comment as I'm not all that concerned. I would not accept a Forbes article as fact until I saw the results on my system.

Hi Jay, I sure hope it does not happen. I have a new problem with updates now, however. I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place. I just renewed my Kaspersky and I get an error message from them that it will not work properly unless I install my MS updates and I have to click on ignore to get past it. And if I install them, I am back to my previous problem where the chat program wont work so it looks like I'm boxed in. I looked at the 5 or so that are a mixed bag and one of them says it cannot be uninstalled after installation so can you take a look at that update and let me know what you think?
http://www.picpaste.com/update-Y04Mrgo4.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:46 pm 
welcoming committee

Definition updates should not cause any problems, they are updates to the signature file for Windows Defender. If you are running Kaspersky as your antivirus/anti-malware, you should probably make sure Defender is turned off. If its turned off you won't get the definition updates.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:44 am 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
Definition updates should not cause any problems, they are updates to the signature file for Windows Defender. If you are running Kaspersky as your antivirus/anti-malware, you should probably make sure Defender is turned off. If its turned off you won't get the definition updates.

How do I turn it off?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:20 am 
welcoming committee

Find WD under Control Panel

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:54 am 
welcoming committee

chasbox wrote:
Find WD under Control Panel

Then what?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:37 am 
welcoming committee

Start, Type in Services, Click on Services, Scroll down to Win Defender
Double click it Go to Startup type, Click the down arrow and click
Disabled then Apply And OK. Restart

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:38 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

Wow!!!

Two issues here

1. Windows 7. I've seen several source from Microsoft confirming that they are going to start doing roll ups in October. Doesn't bother me as the way it was described the regular updates are coming via WU and the .net and Security updates are coming via the catalog site. All Forbes did was quote other sources which are reflecting Microsofts position at this time

2. Windows 10. First the article in the link very clearly pointed out that at this time it was for Windows 10 Enterprise only, which I don't think has ever been free. As for intimately charging for the consumer version that's no sweat. Patty told us how it could be done. Simple, just expand the info pane with more advertising, and make it necessary to click every ad to close the pane, and set the add to stay open 10 sec. Then they offer to turn off the ads if you subscribe. Easy as pie.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:09 pm 
welcoming committee

chasbox wrote:
Start, Type in Services, Click on Services, Scroll down to Win Defender
Double click it Go to Startup type, Click the down arrow and click
Disabled then Apply And OK. Restart

I don't have any of that when I click on Defender in the control panel. The following shows what displays for me:
http://www.picpaste.com/defender-jxkkxGfF.jpg

I clicked on history and tools but see nothing that allows me to disable it.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:13 pm 
welcoming committee

Sorry I wasn't clear. The start button on your desktop is where to go to begin

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows