Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Windows 7 error message
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:36 am 
welcoming committee

Hi all, I have a new Windows 7 Professional (x64) Computer and have run into a slight glitch upon start up. This does not happen every time I turn the computer on but enough so that it is irritating. As the computer is booting up, I get an error message (NT Detect has failed). This error does not affect the boot up but it does affect the ability to connect to the internet. At this point, I click on (restart) and it boots up ok and I no longer get the error message. So far over a period of a month or so, it has never failed to boot properly on the second go around.

I went to quite a few sites and looked for this error message and it seems that most of the discussions relate more to Windows XP rather than Windows 7. Anyway, whatever it is, it is affecting the connection between the computer and the internet router. This is an Ethernet connection and I have replaced the cable so any help with what to try next will be greatly appreciated.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:41 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hi and welcome to the community. :)

Have you checked to be sure that you have the latest drivers for your hardware, especially those for your network adapter?

Also please give us specific info on your machine such as make and model.

If this system is under warranty have you contacted the builder?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:58 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Hi and welcome to the community. :)

Have you checked to be sure that you have the latest drivers for your hardware, especially those for your network adapter?

Also please give us specific info on your machine such as make and model.

If this system is under warranty have you contacted the builder?

It is a Dell Windows 7 Professional (x64) Desktop Computer model number i3847-5846BK, 3.1 GHz Core i5-4440, Coprocessor Intel® HD Integrated Graphics. This computer was a gift from my ex bf so I am unable to supply any warranty info.
The Router that this computer plugs into is a Linksys Model WRT54GL Wireless Broadband router. I ran the DVD that came with the router and it successfully completed. I shut the computer down and rebooted and got the same error message, however, after doing so, it will no longer connect to the internet at all now. See attached picture for the error details. I had to take two pictures as the error box would not expand.

Attachments:
error1.jpg
error1.jpg [ 90.69 KiB | Viewed 13230 times ]
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:32 pm 
welcoming committee

A quick search mentions Symantec NetDetect, if you have this program installed or some other Symantec(Norton) programs installed these may be causing the error.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:55 pm 

I totally agree with dvair. If you have anything Symantic or Norton installed remove. Being a Dell it is very possible that your entire anti-virus package is Norton/Symantic.

Of course the above would leave you with no anti-virus which is not good. There are some good free options out there... It is imperative that you remove old anti-virus software before installing new. Failure to do so could severely disable your system. Also I would recommend that you run the Norton Removal Tool after removing Norton/Symantec via Programs and Features in your Control Panel.

For anti-virus I would suggest Microsoft Security Essentials
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=5201
or Avast. I must say that I have not used Avast in ages but it was always decent. If you go this route there are different levels. When I did use it I only used the free version which seemed to work fine.
http://www.avast.com/download-software

Along with that I'd install MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) free version.
https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/
There is also a paid version but the free does a great job. With MBAM it must be kept in mind that the free version is what is called an on demand scanner which means that it will only scan the system if you manually launch and scan. The paid version is a real time scanner which means that it will monitor at all times. Depending on if you hit a sale the paid version can be had for $15.00-$25.00. The price is for lifetime, no charge for updates, etc.. While I have not seen this it has been reported that running the real time version of MBAM along with an anti virus has caused issues on some systems.

Myself... I have three Windows systems, 2 Windows 7 Ultimate and one Windows 8.1. All three run Microsoft's Security Essentials and MBAM paid version.

If your anti-virus does happen to be Norton do not change unless you are sure of the procedure to follow. We will be happy to answer any questions.

Here is a quick procedure list.

1) Download the install for either Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) or Avast.

2) Download MBAM.

3) Download the removal tool for Norton.

4) Remove everything Norton/Symantec via Programs and features in your Control Panel. Do NOT reboot when prompted.

5) Run the Norton Removal Tool and then re-boot.

6) Install MSE or Avast (there are many paid for options available if you would rather.) and re-boot.

7) Install MBAM.

8) Run full scans with both MSE and MBAM.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

"Myself... I have three Windows systems, 2 Windows 7 Ultimate and one Windows 8.1. All three run Microsoft's Security Essentials and MBAM paid version."

No, you have Microsoft Security Essentials on the Windows 7 machines and Windows Defender (not the same as what comes on Windows 7 or Vista) on Windows 8.1. :-) Yes, Defender on Windows 8.x is pretty much Microsoft Security Essentials, but it cannot be installed/uninstalled as it is part of the Operating System.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:21 pm 

Of course you are correct, Steve, I shall now go put my face in directly in a corner and take my 'time out'. ;)

However Defender can still be removed for all intent and purpose. While all the files will still be intact the impact on the system can still be set to null by unchecking a simple selection box under the properties for the Defender process. If this is done it simply does not load so might as well have been removed. Of course I still agree with your correction. :)
:cmouse:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

No need to go to the corner. Just bow your head in shame. :rofl2:

Disabling Defender isn't the same as removing it. And it is done via the program interface in Vista and 7, not via Services (though it would have the same net result):
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7

On Windows 8, the installation of any other antivirus program that registers itself successfully to Windows will cause Defender to disable itself. If it doesn't, the same premise as above applies to manually disable it.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:57 pm 
welcoming committee

You gave me a whole lot to digest but am I missing something here or does NDetect.exe not working have nothing to do with the problem? Thats the error message and thats when it wont connect and no one has said what it is, where it is, or how to go about correcting it. Avast is running on this computer and I can find nothing about Norton.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:22 am 
welcoming committee

NDetect.exe is probably a remnant of Symantec Internet Security suite although it could be a virus. Let's assume it's not a virus first and try to remove it.

1. Go to programs and features and see if there's anything there that relates to Symantec Internet Security suite. If there is uninstall it and then reboot.

2. If nothing is there then possibly this is a leftover piece from a poor unistall. It will take a special removal tool from Symantic to fix it. Get that tool from the following link and follow the instructions there: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/hom ... file_en_us Reboot your system after it finishes and see where you stand.

3. If the above steps don't work then we will need to check for malware on your system as suggested above.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
NDetect.exe is probably a remnant of Symantec Internet Security suite although it could be a virus. Let's assume it's not a virus first and try to remove it.

1. Go to programs and features and see if there's anything there that relates to Symantec Internet Security suite. If there is uninstall it and then reboot.

2. If nothing is there then possibly this is a leftover piece from a poor unistall. It will take a special removal tool from Symantic to fix it. Get that tool from the following link and follow the instructions there: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/hom ... file_en_us Reboot your system after it finishes and see where you stand.

3. If the above steps don't work then we will need to check for malware on your system as suggested above.

Hello Manny

I used the Norton removal tool as you suggested and this seems to have corrected the problem. I was not sure how to get on line to accomplish that so I tried the "restart" button as I had done in the past and it booted up normally allowing me to access the Norton site. It appeared as though it removed a lot of files, none of which showed in programs or in the control panel. Thanks to everyone for all the help !!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:41 pm 

You are quite welcome. :)

Norton is notorious for leaving garbage behind when un-installed. In fact, while I don't know if still true with more recent versions, it used to be that removing Norton normally via the Control Panel could totally kill a system. This is the reason for running the removal tool and why I don't reboot between a Control Panel removal and running the tool.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:17 pm 

Can I point out that MalwareBytes has upgraded to version 2 now, if you buy the Premium version which is on sale at present you can install it on 3 computers.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/premium/

It is a one of payment and all updates and upgrades are free, I upgraded my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 machines this morning, I already had the Paid Pro versions installed.

EDIT: I think the sale may only be for people who already have a version, sorry.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:07 pm 

Actually, Joan, there is no sale price for those that already have the pro version. If you already have Pro the upgrade to version 2 is free... mayhaps it is different on your side of the pond. :dunno:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/update/

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:53 am 

You're right Jay, it's just that the email I got telling me about it had the normal price crossed out and a lower price showing.
I just followed the link in the email to find out more and of course there was a link to click if you already had it, which of course I did.
I knew that when the new version came out I was going to be able to get the free upgrade, I've always been happy with the program and really like the look and layout of the new version.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:02 am 

Just took a snip of the top half of the email I got about it, you'll see the link to find out more which I clicked, that took me to the site and I did get the part that your link shows.
Attachment:
Malwarebytes.PNG [66.69 KiB]
Downloaded 40 times

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows