Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:47 pm 
welcoming committee

I bought a new refurbished Windows 7 computer in April. Since then, I have twice had a very weird problem.

It happened the second time yesterday. I was on the computer. It was working fine. I went and watched TV for a couple of hours.

When I came back and tried to use the computer - it was like the stuff on the computer was two inches too big for the screen!! Normally, at the bottom left I have that round Start button. To the right is the round Firefox button and to the right of that is the square Outlook button. Yesterday, right in the bottom left corner was the square Outlook button/icon - but the other two were off the side of the screen and I couldn't get to them. I couldn't get to them because at the top of the screen - I had no back button; no "x" at the top right, no minimise at the top right -- because the whole screen - all four sides - was off the edge. Hard to explain - as I said - the best way to describe it was that the screen was all of a sudden two inches too big for the monitor. And I had not touched anything!!

I googled it and there were all kinds of suggestions that related to new installations etc. I can't imagine it had anything to do with the screen resolution because how would the screen resolution change itself while I was watching TV? Anyway, as I had no choice, I pressed the "off" button. I guess I could have done control-alt-delete -- but I didn't. When the computer came back on - it was normal again.

Can anyone tell me why this might have happened? Is there any way to stop it happening and what should I do if it happens again? Which is better - the off button or control-alt-delete?

(I have a friend who knows lots of tech stuff - if I ask her, she will say - I told you to buy a Mac!)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

I would assume it is a problem with screen resolution. Check to see if there are updated drivers for the video adapter from the PC maker.
Since it happened on return to the PC, I suspect that the screen turned off and that when it resumed, it failed to properly detect the screen.
If it happens again, right click the desktop to adjust screen resolution. Failing that, rather than powering down the PC via the start button (you risk corruption of Windows every time you have to do that), press ALT-F4 to close windows and/or CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up a list of options, including Log Off. Logging off and back on again may resolve it.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:03 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Also, are you using a screen saver?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the information.

I right clicked the screen, which is fine now - and it said the resolution is 1680 x 1050.

I knew it wasn't good to press the off button, but I was annoyed and so I gave it a go! When the computer booted up again, it was fine. I won't do that again for sure!!

But I don't know how to find out if there are updated drivers for the video adapter. The PC is an HP refurbished by a local computer store. He told me they were expensive office machines that had come off lease. I am not really comfortable downloading drivers when I know nothing about how to do it. In the past I have tried things and I always come across something that I don't understand. So I tend to leave it alone. I could contact the store where I bought the thing and ask him.

He seems fairly helpful and the computer has a six month warranty. When I first got the thing, I would occasionally be unable to type ? or @. Instead of the question mark I would get a capital E - with an accent. He said it was because I had a Canadian keyboard I think. He changed it to a US one and now everything works fine in that regard.

No. I am not using a screen saver. Should I be?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:47 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
No, there is no need for a screen saver as long as you are not using an old CRT monitor (big, bulky and deep). It was just a possibility of something that could be changing your screen resolution.

As far as drivers for the video go ahead and ask the tech if he can state exactly the card that is in the system or, if the graphics are embedded on the mother board, the exact make and model of the mother board. Quicker and also workable would be to go to your Control Panel and then make sure that you are in Icon View, not Category View (this option is in the upper right of the screen). Go to Device Manager and open the arrow by Display adapters. The graphics chip or card should be listed. Report back here EXACTLY what it says.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

With a 6 month warranty, you're close to the end. Get over to the shop ASAP and explain the issue to him. He should be able to diagnose and deal with a driver issue promptly. If it is hardware related, you will want to get that dealt with before the warranty ends!

-steve

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:52 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks. I will give him a call today.

In the meantime I followed Jay's instructions (I think!) and under Display Adapter it says:

Intel (R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows